DampRid, drying crystals, or Similar?

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
Ecoman,

I wrote pretty much the same thing earlier but opted not to post. All I'd add to your suggestions is to not hang your clothes tightly together. Allow some space for air to circulate. If you have to shove clothes to one side to place or remove an item on a hanger, consider donating some of the stuff you no longer wear to a local charity of your choice.*

Good idea. Obviously great minds think alike. I just beat you to the post. Lol!

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
Helpful hint: did you know that chalk is a desiccant, just like silica gel? Have no idea how much you'd need for it to be effective in a large space, but I have it in my silver drawers and it keeps the sterling from tarnishing.

Wow, you're full of trivia. :) I think the chalk also interacts with sulfur, so you get a double boast on the silver tarnish front.

My closet now has two crystal dehumidifiers.

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
So I found this dehumidifier on Amazon that sort of self-charges and then when the absorbent beads get saturated you plug it in to dry them out. US$44. Weighs 2 lbs. I'm doing it.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i have few of those and i cannot say they are doing the job as i expected. meh from me.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
i have few of those and i cannot say they are doing the job as i expected. meh from me.
The crystals work best in small, enclosed spaces.

If one is trying to dehumidify a larger, open area, the crystals are like pushing a rope...especially in this weather...

kapitan75

Jun 3, 2005
For odor control,get ground coffee in a few tube socks and hang around the home. Coffee is a good nuetralizer.

Airing/drying out the dampness inloves pushing air out, so you need a cross breeze. Try this when not in the home. Leave only 2 windows open, the offending room and a window further away. Now in the offending room , point fan out of window. Keep other window open, and all others shut. The room should dry out completely within a day. Having a simple vick humidifier on in the offending room helps too. Even a drop of fragrant oil in the humidifiers water helps clean out the odor.

I have been using this method for airing out damp or smoky rooms.

The Industy/professionals use an air ionizer, expensive! It looks like a big turbo fan . A homedepot type store should carry one. If you go that route, maybe you can start a small business.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
The crystals work best in small, enclosed spaces.
If one is trying to dehumidify a larger, open area, the crystals are like pushing a rope...especially in this weather...

i have those small dehumidifiers inside the wardrobes. money wasted, pretty much.