Danger on the streets of Santo Domingo

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
First Lady of DR1?

juanita said:
Well, it finally happened! At last! After 11 years of quiet life in paradise I finally got robbed by the cheap public car ?ladrones?.

First you offer to send us some EDTA for testing, at your expense, then you take the time to go out to Caribe Tours to ship it to us, at your expense, then you get robbed on the way there, at your expense, then you don't even mention in your post that you were doing all this to help your fellow DR1ers in their quest to find the least expensive solution for reconditioning old inverter batteries.
Your generosity and humility overwhelm me.
You must be one heck of a fine lady.

ltsnyder

Bronze
Jun 4, 2003
www.x3ci.com
Robbery is different from just leaving something . . .

Nal0whs said:
Well, never loose sight that SDQ is a metropolis!

Only Tokyo is a metropolis where you leave a wallet and it will remain in tact where you left it, and even there things are changing!

But, having your wheels do eliminate the getting pickpocket while in transit.

About the night time problem, then don't go out at night or limit your night excursions to once a week.

And about parking, be wary of your sorroundings! After all, the same applies everytime you get off a concho!

I forget stuff all the time, a book bag in Puerto Plata, and some one always catches me and sees that I get it back. The people are very honest in general, as much or more so than in the US. But of course the people looking to commit a crime are also out there.

-Lee

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
Amazing Honesty of Some People

A few years ago I was transferring from a local bus to an express bus to Santo Domingo at the Andres bus terminal outside Boca Chica. Just after I got on the express bus a Dominican man got in the doorway of the bus and handed me a credit card I had dropped as I got off the other bus. A Credit Card! :eek: If my car is in the shop I will wait for a bus rather than ride a concho; never at night and always on full alert.

Scorpion

Aug 5, 2004
Not all are alike

ltsnyder said:
I forget stuff all the time, a book bag in Puerto Plata, and some one always catches me and sees that I get it back. The people are very honest in general, as much or more so than in the US. But of course the people looking to commit a crime are also out there.

-Lee

When preparing for our trip to the DR, a colleague related this experience:

He had been gambling quite late at the Jaragua (Circa 1990) and was stumbling back to the Sheraton on his own. As he walked through the back of the Jaragua parking lot, three men appraoceched and motioned to his pockets. Not speaking any Spanish, my friend thought a robbery was about to ensue and prepared his best drunken self defense. As it turned out, the three Dominicans were trying to tell him to stuff the 1000 peso notes back into his overflowing pocket before he lost them

Situations dictate crime. These men may have been able to rob "Luke," but I doubt they would have ever tried anyone again (3.2 m, 120kg of muscle) but as it was, they were simply decent men trying to help a tourist

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
Smack the bad ones!

Rocky said:
First you offer to send us some EDTA for testing, at your expense, then you take the time to go out to Caribe Tours to ship it to us, at your expense, then you get robbed on the way there, at your expense, then you don't even mention in your post that you were doing all this to help your fellow DR1ers in their quest to find the least expensive solution for reconditioning old inverter batteries.
Your generosity and humility overwhelm me.
You must be one heck of a fine lady.

Jejejeje?Rocky? :nervous: You just made me blush, thank you for the compliments!

I also have a story about very nice Dominicans. Once I went up to a town near San Pedro de Macoris to visit a Dominican family, with all the excitement I forgot a bag of gifts on the bus. By the time I realized my mistake the bus was long gone, so I called up a ?motoconcho? that was around and asked him if he could try to catch up with the bus and pick up my bag. 15 minutes later, the motoconcho guy came back with a big smile and my bag. I than gave him a 100 pesos and he had an even bigger smile. The man could have easily picked up my bag and ran off with it, but he didn?t! This country is filled up with good people; we just have to smack the bad ones!

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Scorpion said:
... I doubt they would have ever tried anyone again (3.2 m, 120kg of muscle) but as it was, they were simply decent men trying to help a tourist

(Bolding mine)

I am not surprised. Is he in the Guinness Book of Records?

Oh, and Juanita, I hope I speak for everyone here by saying that at the next DR1 reunion you attend, the drinks are definitely on us.

Scorpion

Aug 5, 2004
I am a fool

Chirimoya said:
(Bolding mine)

I am not surprised. Is he in the Guinness Book of Records?

Oh, and Juanita, I hope I speak for everyone here by saying that at the next DR1 reunion you attend, the drinks are definitely on us.

Luke is 6 feet 6 inches, where and how I get that conversion I blame on pre departure celebration :)