Danilo to announce extraordinary measures

May 12, 2005
If anything, he has changed the tone of the government and political debates. Let's see where the country is and what he does in his first year. The electricity situation will be his biggest obstacle, it is the third rail of DR politics.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
D@mn!! You got that right Frank. On the dot.

Solutions? Well, Marranzini was sort of on the right track, and there are a lot of wind and solar farms in the pipeline or on line. the introduction of natural gas will lower the cost of production and the continued use of smart meters should bring in more money.

However, as long as there are areas were electricity is free or nearly so, there will be huge deficits...a pay or lights out policy could be put into motion,,,and wasn't there some noise about a "Pay as you go" program??? That could work. If they can pay 50pesos for a "fr?a" and 100 pesos for a pack of smokes, and 60 pesos for a phone card, they can certainly pay for their electricity. No?

The other side of the coin are the money grasping generators and the horrible contracts....what can be done about them when it is cheaper to pay a generator to be off rather than producing electricity>>>????

HB

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Absolutely right! For booze is always money there, or for flashy 'tenis'. But when it comes to pay for using electricity etc. the lamenting starts... Let them drink but then let them 'recover' from it without 'habanico'... :)

If they can pay 50pesos for a "fr?a" and 100 pesos for a pack of smokes, and 60 pesos for a phone card, they can certainly pay for their electricity. No?
HB

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
"Quarterly reports will be presented on the finances of the institutions, which will allow for the evaluation of compliance with these measures, and in cases where lack of compliance is detected, the Controller General will establish civil responsibility.

In article 16, the decree says that these measures will be valid for one year, starting with the date of publication, and the preceding article (15)....."

...and then? Happy shopping again?

And when will be the date of publication?

Why only a year? It looked better to me without that "smallprint"...

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Absolutely right! For booze is always money there, or for flashy 'tenis'. But when it comes to pay for using electricity etc. the lamenting starts... Let them drink but then let them 'recover' from it without 'habanico'... :)

Hey it's a matter of priorities and you know nothing has a higher priority to a Dominican than a cold one. Haven't you heard Johnny Ventura's old song "Que se acabe el arroz, la leche y la gasolina...pero el ron que no se acabe porque esa es mi medicina". Basically we may be out of rice, milk, gas., etc...and everything is OK as long as there's booze...now if THAT runs out then we're having a revolution.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
No reason for a revolution???????

... booze...now if THAT runs out then we're having a revolution.

I have always wondered WHAT would make Dominicans stage a revolution.
Now, not those 'huelgas' where they get tired (or drunk) after two days....

Can someone enlighten me?

donP

donP

Dec 14, 2008
No more cold fingers?

The electricity situation will be his biggest obstacle,...

It is already being worked on:
Ordenan a empleados del Palacio Nacional apagar luces y equipos para ahorrar energ?a - ElDia.com.do

I remember a visit to a government office in Nagua where they had the A/C running at its highest setting.
The girls had sweaters on and could hardly move their fingers.... :laugh:
I asked why they wanted it cold like that...... they twisted their noses.... :alien:

donP

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
It is already being worked on:
Ordenan a empleados del Palacio Nacional apagar luces y equipos para ahorrar energ?a - ElDia.com.do

I remember a visit to a government office in Nagua where they had the A/C running at its highest setting.
The girls had sweaters on and could hardly move their fingers.... :laugh:
I asked why they wanted it cold like that...... they twisted their noses.... :alien:

donP

Probably to run the budget up to its max so that they can ask for a bigger budget.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
In the campo people who want free power(and there are many of them) justify it many times because they feel the government owes this something, after all they are all paid like rock stars.

The real question is if the government only paid it's politicians competitive wages would there even be a power or defecit problem? Based on my limited yet first hand experience experience with a politician these people are millionaires in dollars in maybe a year or too I'd say this is a plausible assumption.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Luxury as usual

Do you remember from a few days ago?

"En el c?digo de ?tica est? la disposici?n de revisar para vender todos los veh?culos de lujo y de alto cilindraje del Estado, tambi?n la prohibici?n de comprar veh?culos nuevos."

Today we read:
"Santo Domingo.-El Tribunal Constitucional (TC) compr? trece yipetas para sus miembros, adquisici?n que el precio del mercado ronda los 50 millones de pesos.

Las yipetas, algunas de las cuales est?n parqueadas en el edificio del Inespre (local que los aloja de manera provisional), son marca Nissan Patrol, del a?o 2012, valorada cada una en 95 mil d?lares."

Tribunal Constitucional gasta alrededor de RD$ 50 millones en yipetas para jueces | NOTICIA LIBRE

donP

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Lets see if DM does something about it... If not, well... already end of "change"? :(

Do you remember from a few days ago?

"En el c?digo de ?tica est? la disposici?n de revisar para vender todos los veh?culos de lujo y de alto cilindraje del Estado, tambi?n la prohibici?n de comprar veh?culos nuevos."

Today we read:
"Santo Domingo.-El Tribunal Constitucional (TC) compr? trece yipetas para sus miembros, adquisici?n que el precio del mercado ronda los 50 millones de pesos.

Las yipetas, algunas de las cuales est?n parqueadas en el edificio del Inespre (local que los aloja de manera provisional), son marca Nissan Patrol, del a?o 2012, valorada cada una en 95 mil d?lares."

Tribunal Constitucional gasta alrededor de RD$ 50 millones en yipetas para jueces | NOTICIA LIBRE

donP