"dating " in the DR...

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Some do and some don't. I have heard stories of women and men being stalked after a relationship ends. I've not had this kind of experience.

rio2003

Bronze
Aug 16, 2006
And when its time to go.....

Do the relationships end on the same note? (QUOTE]

I have found them very difficult to get rid of, in my experience.
I suppose they can always turn into friends with benefits! LOL ;)

Rio

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
Some people are in sex-only relationships are not aware of it honey...

I was actually talking about relationships where the woman (usually) are not really aware that the man is not really HERS but more so only the sex...

This is VERY common in DR but happens worldwide of course. He may give her some money here and there, but not what a relationship entails (little odd things like talking and spending time together that doesnt entail sex) This is mostly common when she is La Otra.

Planner is correct with description of the lack of getting-to-know-you process in DR.

Lapurr:
Do the relationships end on the same note? i dont like you anymore it's over?

For some reason many DR men believe is only over when THEY SAY IS OVER. Depending on your social status, this is expressed in a mature conversation or not, is is implied or not, or understood when he is now with someone else. Unfortunately many times it happens in public and very loudly...

rio2003

Bronze
Aug 16, 2006
It is only over when .......

For some reason many DR men believe is only over when THEY SAY IS OVER. Depending on your social status, this is expressed in a mature conversation or not, is is implied or not, or understood when he is now with someone else. Unfortunately many times it happens in public and very loudly...

That must be why I have had problems - it is me, the woman, saying it is over?

Rio :ermm:

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
In almost all cases, the exes of the divorced/separated women I know here still exert control over them, in some cases still occasionally sleep with them, or expect to. Even if the relationship broke up as a result of the man's infidelity, they go ballistic if they even suspect the woman has a new boyfriend.

domingodeb

Feb 18, 2008
question for hillbilly

sorry, I'm a little off topic but could you (as you seem to be the one with the respected knowledge) explain 'novia' to me. Is it the same as girlfriend or a little different?

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
sorry, I'm a little off topic but could you (as you seem to be the one with the respected knowledge) explain 'novia' to me. Is it the same as girlfriend or a little different?

LOL - so the other women that LIVE in DR or ARE Dominican are not the ones to actually answer this for you?

Well, I will anyway. In simple terms Novia is a girlfriend but it also means something different for each person using the term:

Gringo: a girl he messes with when in town. He usually funds
A married Dominicano: can mean the 'other' woman
A Single Dominicano: Novia is the girl is looking to marry (in white and have the kids) However, this term will only be used publicly if the girl is not known to be having sex with anyone (including him, even if not true)
If the girl is known to have had more than one NOVIO or has been talked about, then is harder to get away with that - is all perception for the community. If the girl has any kids, then she is that man's MUJER - never again a novia.

Dominicans are very old fashioned when it comes to the 'perception' of courting. Is NOTHING like a girlfriend in the way it is practiced in the US.

Hope this helps with some clarification.