dealing with police/ladrones

Domingo646

Jul 31, 2016
For the benefit of every one reading this thread....

PN?

DICREM?

AMET?

Some definitions for the abbrevations would be appreciated, including a sentence outlining their jurisdictions/authority, pro's/con's, do's/don't,
who to fear, military/non-military/civilian, and how to best get un-sticked in a sticky situation.

Don't own a car - check.
Big Rottweilers or Pitbulls - check.
Drive with Dominican - check.
Dash cam and a prayer - check.
Bribe money - check, check, check, check and check.
Fresh poco pollo - double check.
A dominican friend's phone number who can pretend he's a lieutenant - checked and underlined.

irishpaddy

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
We?ve once been stopped by a fake AMET, who was so fake that he even changed the reason for stopping us for three times, then said that I would be deported tomorrow unless I pay him then and there 15,000 pesos and get a lawyer... My wife demanded to see his ID and the AMET got ****ed of and started yelling...

What I?d say as an advice, is that I would never feel comfortable driving in a new/flashly/expensive vehicle in the DR. To me it?s the same as wearing jewelry. Don?t attract attention. Drive a vehicle with tinted windows, so that it?s difficult to see who?s in there. Thirdly, in the case of a difficult/threatening situation, have some minor amount of pesos ready, saying that it?s all you have.

If you look at any of these large SUVs/camionetas with tinten windows, which, I would assume, transport people who are not that poor, they drive fast, and you can see nothing inside. If 1-3 PNs with motores decide to stop in front of it, it will run over them easily.

3 times in 3 weeks, I?d recommend that it?s best to evaluate if the OP can change something where he goes / how he acts. I ?ve been driving through almost the whole country for years, and I?ve been stopped twice, of which the other time was completely legit, AMET asking to see a tax stricker which was missing from the windshield.
i am driving a tuscon with clear windows...the first time i was stopped on avenida luperon ..i had a female Dominican passenger....the second time was at 9.30 am near the colonial zone on my way to the beach ...and the third time i was driving back from the beach at 5pm ....i don't drink...had my seatbelt on...i don't smoke ...was travelling in a line of cars at about 10 miles an hour....i am a 53 white guy ....hard to change much and definitely not doing anything wrong or to bring attention to myself....by the way thanks to all for the helpful hints ...lets hope we don't run into #4 today

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
Been renting vehicles for seven winters and travelling the North Coast. I always rent cheapest smallest car available, Kia Picanto, etc. Never rent high profile SUV's. Never drive after dark in remote areas. Been stopped by Military police a few times, showed them the rental folder, and always waved through. Been stopped by locals having fund raisers for schools, family medical problems. Usually a rope across the road. I give them $200 pesos, smile, and go on my way. A policeman pointed me to a parking spot adjacent to a clothing store in POP. After I came out he wanted money for watching my car. Gave him $100 pesos and went on my way. If I'm partying late at night in strange areas, I always use the cabs to get to and from Playa Dorada. So far so good.

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
can someone advise me what is the best approach when pulled over by the police ...I have been in santo domingo for 3 weeks and in that time I have been pulled over 3 times...the first time was on avedida luperon ...where I was accused of driving through a red light ...this was false and after half an hour I said ...give me a ticket ..they called amet and the guy gave me a ticket ...I have paid it and gotten the receipt ...the second time I was pulled over for no reason and was told that the cop was hungry ...I felt like telling him " yo no soy su padre "...I gave him a 100 pesos and was on my way ..tonite coming back from boca chica I was driving along the malecon near Adrian tropical when i was driving in the middle of a traffic jam ...to pull over by 6 cops on 3 motor mikes ....i showed my papers license ect and told them i only speak English....he said you need to come to the police station and tienes muchas problemas ...i said what did i do ..they wanted me to pull into a side street ...which i refused and i was able to call the guy who is doing work on my apt ...apparently he identified himself as a lieutenant and suddenly my phone was dropped into my car and i was told go ...go away ...you have no problems
so can anyone advise me what is the correct and easiest way of dealing with these thieves?

The quick answer that may clear it all up. With rare exceptions, this is a lawless society. I used to think the police act this way because they make a few hundred or less per month. After being here awhile I have come to realize if their wage was tripled or more they would probably do the same thing which next to nothing and steal. Its cultural at that level, again with few exceptions. But again as mentioned above, some developed countries XXX you can be pulled over for farting in your car and depending how you look, dress, or react you could be shot dead. If not you could be ticketed in amounts exceeding high hundreds! I prefer the Banana Police.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
i am driving a tuscon with clear windows...the first time i was stopped on avenida luperon ..i had a female Dominican passenger....the second time was at 9.30 am near the colonial zone on my way to the beach ...and the third time i was driving back from the beach at 5pm ....i don't drink...had my seatbelt on...i don't smoke ...was travelling in a line of cars at about 10 miles an hour....i am a 53 white guy ....hard to change much and definitely not doing anything wrong or to bring attention to myself....by the way thanks to all for the helpful hints ...lets hope we don't run into #4 today

If this is a rental, not much you can do. If it's yours, get the windows tinted, it's harder to see you if you're not in a fishbowl. Our car already had backseat and rear windows tinted, Mr. AE had the driver's and passenger's windows tinted dark too, for some ridiculous amount. 500 pesos if I remember correctly.

karlheinz

Oct 2, 2006
PN? Policia Nacional

DICREM? = Drug Police

AMET? = Traffic Police

gee they got a lotta police - hehe

Cestur = Tourist Police

irishpaddy

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
I hope to buy a car here next year and the window tint will definitely be done ...not sure you can request a rental car with tinted windows
but might be worth inquiring about in the meantime
I was foolish yesterday to hand over my papers and license and to lower the window....I will know better next time and I hope to get the business card of someone with clout and I use to think it was because of low wages that these thieves do what they do but as expat13 said ....they would do the same even if they got triple wages ...its the mindset

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
When I was stopped by a hungry Immigration guy near the border, I asked him if he accepted credit cards, claiming that was all I had with me. Amazingly, he seemed to believe me and sent me on my way - cash still in my pocket!

Domingo646

Jul 31, 2016
I hope to buy a car here next year and the window tint will definitely be done ...not sure you can request a rental car with tinted windows
but might be worth inquiring about in the meantime
I was foolish yesterday to hand over my papers and license and to lower the window....I will know better next time and I hope to get the business card of someone with clout and I use to think it was because of low wages that these thieves do what they do but as expat13 said ....they would do the same even if they got triple wages ...its the mindset

Does anyone here feel pulling out an abagado's (lawyer) business card would put an end to a "give me your money gringo" situation?

Dunno.

It might raise the stakes and make the bribe go higher or the situation get more dangerous. (If they can afford a lawyer.....)

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016

I think it because your luck of Irish !!!! ;) joking my friend...

Jan 7, 2016
When I bought my car (new) in Punta Cana last season, the dealer threw-in dark tint all around the sides and back and floor mats and the placa, title and window sticker and still discounted the asking price. It's not worth taking the chance being identified as Norte Americano by any law enforcement here in the D.R.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Be aware that dark window tint beyond a certain visibility limit is reason to pull you over.

And NO tint at all, beyond factory tint, is allowed on the windshield.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
driving in the DR is just not worth the hassle in my humble opinion.

100% Agreed. I tell my buddy the same thing all the time. Plus when you start
to add up the cost of gas and repairs, the thought of driving and owning a vehicle
in this country does not appeal to me at all.

Apr 10, 2014
smile like your an idiot and keep saying tourist seems to work .

Whenever I was stopped and conversed to the police in Spanish, it just led to a payoff. Now I just look at them and keep shrugging my shoulders with the comment "No Spanny". They get for frustrated and tell me to go. Has worked for the last 10 years.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Whenever I was stopped and conversed to the police in Spanish, it just led to a payoff. Now I just look at them and keep shrugging my shoulders with the comment "No Spanny". They get for frustrated and tell me to go. Has worked for the last 10 years.
Ditto, but never spoke Spanish to any.

One agent complained to his buddy "No tourist should be allowed to drive without speaking Spanish"...