Dear Everyone. I need a new laptop and Marc is gone to Heaven

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
WOW!!
Talk about overkill on data information.

This thread is a gold mine.

I went to Tigerdirect.com (they are having a giant sale today).

I looked for several basic things: 8 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD....500GB HDD etc

I found some fantastic deals, but when I looked at the details, they were refurbished and there was nothing to indicate "factory" refurbished, so I passed....and I mean fantastic machines in the near-$2000 range for 550 more or less. But, refurbished.

So I went Lenovo, new. I will report further on it when I have it in my hands.

I will be asking Cobraboy for his help to get the system acting more like WIN 7 if that is the right thing to do.

I also got a 1TB external HDD for backup and whatever...and a 27" monitor

JIC someone is looking for a 27"monitor, they are 59 dollars today on tigerdirect.com. Mine cost me 119...oh sh!t.

Anyway, this has been a fantastic thread, and I will ask the Super mods to make it a STICKY, because is it so chock full of good information.

I hope you all had a very Merry Christmas, and let's all hope for a Better-than-ever New Year for all of us.

HB

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
WOW!!

I found some fantastic deals, but when I looked at the details, they were refurbished and there was nothing to indicate "factory" refurbished, so I passed....and I mean fantastic machines in the near-$2000 range for 550 more or less. But, refurbished.

I will be asking Cobraboy for his help to get the system acting more like WIN 7 if that is the right thing to do.

JIC someone is looking for a 27"monitor, they are 59 dollars today on tigerdirect.com. Mine cost me 119...oh sh!t.

Anyway, this has been a fantastic thread, and I will ask the Super mods to make it a STICKY, because is it so chock full of good information.

I hope you all had a very Merry Christmas, and let's all hope for a Better-than-ever New Year for all of us.

HB

Do not buy ANYTHING from Tiger Direct. I bought a desktop from them years ago and I had to install Windows myself. They were the firm Comp USA that went bankrupt years ago and they sell anything left over. You will notice a lot of computers are running Windows 7 there. Reason they are that old and they will sell you refurbished as new. STAY AWAY. And they have a sale every other day.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Windows 8.1 is a great option to W10.

All a matter of personal preference. Myself I am a happy camper with Win10. I know a couple people who won't move beyond Win95. LOL

I didn't care for Win 8 at all but 8.1 was good.

On a side note the Windows 10 October update is now available and claims all bugs are fixed. You may need to run Windows Update Assistant to get the download.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
WOW!!

HB
This is all you need to make W10 look and feel like W7:

http://www.classicshell.net/

Simple, free download and set-up.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
This is all you need to make W10 look and feel like W7:

http://www.classicshell.net/

Simple, free download and set-up.

Excellent choice, I use it on all my computers.

I just dislike all the updates. With W8.1 I turn off all updates. Been working this way for years and all my computers run like tops. Boot up in no time and shut off in seconds also. And I have never had a virus. I use Vipre for that.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Excellent choice, I use it on all my computers.

I just dislike all the updates. With W8.1 I turn off all updates. Been working this way for years and all my computers run like tops. Boot up in no time and shut off in seconds also. And I have never had a virus. I use Vipre for that.
W10 is now very stable. I like the function, just not the GUI. The GUI for W7 was the bomb, IMO. So Classic Shell is an excellent mash-up of the best of both worlds.

So I want a machine that performs like W10, but looks like W7. W8-8.1 just didn't do it for me. W10 leaped over 8-8.1.

But as usual, opinions vary.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I just do not want any updates. In W10 I found a way to turn them off, but every other day I had to dig and do it again. Just not for me.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
I have my new Lenovo. A ideapad 330s. Windows 10 and I am a Windows 7 girl. I love the lap top and so far love Windows 10 which seems very similar to Windows 7, just smarter!

Great choice HB.

Matilda

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
I have my new Lenovo. A ideapad 330s. Windows 10 and I am a Windows 7 girl. I love the lap top and so far love Windows 10 which seems very similar to Windows 7, just smarter!

Great choice HB.

Matilda
Put the Classic Shell on it. You'll love W10 even more.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Put the Classic Shell on it. You'll love W10 even more.

Question about the Classic Shell. I used Stardock Classic Shell with Win 8.0 but didn't bother when the improved Win 8.1 was released. Can this Classic Shell be like toggled on and off or once installed you have to use Classic Shell all the time. Myself I am fine with Win 10 as is and do all the updates but at the same time always willing to test out something different.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Question about the Classic Shell. I used Stardock Classic Shell with Win 8.0 but didn't bother when the improved Win 8.1 was released. Can this Classic Shell be like toggled on and off or once installed you have to use Classic Shell all the time. Myself I am fine with Win 10 as is and do all the updates but at the same time always willing to test out something different.
Not exactly a toggle switch, but yes, you can disable Classic shell in the settings menu. In other words, you are not locked in to using CS. You can easily disable it and no harm, no foul. Thing is, I don't know anyone who has disabled it. And I really don't know anyone who lovee the GUI of W10 more than W7.

Classic shell is like a launcher in an Andriod phone: it is a GUI over the operating system. In this case the GUI looks like W7.

if you liked the W7 GUI, Classic Shell is a no-brainer.

I don't know much about Stardock, but it seems to do the same thing as Classic Shell. Classic Shell as been free, Stardock costs like $2.50.

Last edited:

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005

if you liked the W7 GUI, Classic Shell is a no-brainer.

I don't know much about Stardock, but it seems to do the same thing as Classic Shell. Classic Shell as been free, Stardock costs like $2.50.

I gave it a try and it is the same as when i used Stardock with Win 8. If you loved the start menu with Win 7 like you say it is a no brainer. I guess since I have gotten so used to Win 10 start menu I will just do an uninstall. I have Win10 setup just fine for me and really no complaints.

Birdman

Jan 29, 2013
I searched through Ebay and found a Compaq laptop with a bid of 1 dollar. It is a single core but rugged so I bid 2 bucks. I got it for 10 eventually. I researched the best dual core cpu at 800mhz - it was a T9600. The cheapest with nearly the same specs was T8300 for 5 bucks; down from 500 so I ordered that. I stumbled across 4g DDR2 ram in the city at 25 bucks. I had an SSD lying around so I transferred the win7 onto that and found out that microsoft is still giving away win 10 if you have a product number. The number was still clear on the bottom. I get a low score on the benchmark tests but it flies for me.