December in Santiago

mobrouser

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
mike, did you use a specific organization when you decided to sponsor the 3 children?

if so, perhaps you could start another thread giving some info about it (other members who may use a different one could add their own info to the thread) and why you chose it. if you are doing this on your own--give us info on how you got started.

congrats on a fine post and for your generosity with both your time and money.

mob :classic:

mkohn

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
I'd be interested in the organization and how you met the kids you've been sponsoring.
mk

chicker

Jan 1, 2002
The long-awaited epilogue

Not! If I knew that this post was going to be made into a sticky, I would have written it better, and shorter! My, I?m a long-winded story teller!

Most trip reports don?t talk about money but I think it might be helpful for those in the planning stages, so I?ll talk about it for a paragraph or so. If you?re not interested (and who could blame you?), just skip the next couple paragraphs. I finally got my credit card statement and it looks like the whole trip (excluding airfare) cost me about $US 600. I think that?s great. That?s five nights at the Hotel Camp David Ranch and one at Eddy?s Condos Dominicano in Sosua. That also includes meals, of which there weren?t many, by my own choice, and lots and lots of Presidentes, lots. Lots. The hotel was less than $US 35 per night. That?s just incredible. I probably spent at least hundred bucks just on taxis. I don?t think that?s typical. But I didn?t want to transport the sponsored kids around town in a publico and also the hotel where I stayed was at least a hundred-peso ride one way. Even more late at night. More on that later.

I also paid for a party of ten or so people to have lunch at Charley?s near the Monument, complete with Cokes and a custom-made cake, and I did a little bit of toy store shopping in Santiago as well. If HB hadn?t been at the toy store with me, I probably would have spent more. Typical gringo me?it would have been too much. So, all in all, not bad, expenses-wise. Less than I expected, in fact. But, what I should have done is brought five hundred in cash, because I would have gotten a much better exchange rate at a Cambio than the credit card company gave me. But, then again, I really had no idea what I was going to spend, it being only my second trip and all. Live and learn. I don?t think there?s a drawback to carrying hundreds of dollars in cash into the country. Somebody may correct me on that.

And save all your ATM receipts. When I used the credit card at the hotel, I got the peso and dollar amount on my statement, but the ATM transactions on the same card only had the dollar amount. Believe it or not, the credit card company wouldn?t tell me what rate they used on those ATM transactions AND told me they weren?t obligated to tell me either. Huh? If you want to dispute the conversion rate that you got for any particular day for any particular transaction, only then will they ?investigate? but to ?investigate? you have to have the receipt. I didn?t and I think I?m screwed on at least one transaction. My advice, use only one card, and check out well beforehand what will be printed on your statement and, if possible, how the rate will be determined. I probably could have found out if I?d been more persistent, but they wore me down. Like putting me on hold for 15 minutes. Man, that?s irritating. Lesson learned.

Taxis. I stayed strictly with the company that services Hillbilly?s family regularly and had pretty good success with them. There was only one really greedy driver in the bunch but the rest of them were OK. Two different days, I needed a driver virtually all day. I had my favorites. HB has his. My very favorite was a guy named Juan who had lived a long time in NYC. We spoke half and half, english and spanish, not really spanglish, just alternating. The cab company is called the Miguelito. Listen to this: the night that I went out clubbing with Adrian, he called Miquelito at about 2:00AM to come and get me from his apartment and the person answering the phone said something like ?yes, we?ve been waiting for your call to come get the american and take him to Camp David.? Didn?t I feel special?

I was surprised at how punctual all of the drivers were, I mean, USA-style punctual. Right on time or even early. However, it was difficult to haggle prices being so far from the center of town. If you didn?t like the guy?s price, you might have to wait a half an hour for a cab from a competing company to chug up the side of the mountain, if they even would (like I said, some of those cacharros barely made the grade [pun intended]). I?m way to non-confrontational for my own good to begin with, and I tried to not keep people waiting for me so I probably ended up paying a little more than I should have. That?s my fault, not theirs. I didn?t want to sacrifice reliability and punctuality to save a few pesos. Lucky for me, I only had one real problem with fare gouging, but, in retrospect, I wish I had been a little more resolute. Once the word got out among the drivers, the fares started creeping up for me. So look out for me next time! Not one centavo more than the agreed price. I mean it! Yeah, we?ll see.

OK, remember that italian restaurant I told you about in HB?s neighborhood? I think it?s a very well-kept secret. I don?t think they have ten tables in there. It looks just like any old house on the street and I don?t think anybody would know it?s a restaurant by just walking by it. But what great food! And service! And everything! So if you?re with HB and it?s getting around dinner time, don?t wait for him to suggest it. Just offer to pay the bill. It?s not that much and it?s worth every peso. You can even blaze up a stogie after dinner, if you want. Oh yeah, that reminds me. The first night I got to town, HB and I were up at the Hotel Camp David doing, what else, having a couple beers, and this dutch guy, a cigar maker/seller gives HB one of his cigars to smoke. So HB lights it up and just by puffing on the cigar, he can tell what kind of tobacco is in it, and there?s more than one kind. He?s just puffing and naming them off. Wow! I was very impressed because like, blindfolded, I can?t even tell what kind of ice cream I?m eating and he?s picking out different tobacco varieties in smoke. This dude really knows his cigars.

Here?s another thing. One night, HB and I went out looking for some snacks at this food vendor in his neighborhood. Kind of like a taco stand or a hot dog stand (I forget what we actually ate, sorry) and we?re walking down the street and getting close to where it should have been and the place is just gone. ?Hmmmm? says HB ?it used to be right over there. Guess they packed up and left.? We start walking back to his house. Then he stops and says ?You know, I can smell it, but I can?t see it. It?s gotta be around here somewhere.? Well, it was. It had just moved. The whole enterprise was on wheels so they had just picked up and moved to the other side of the street and about a block up. It was just dark enough that we had walked right by it. But, what a nose, eh? With all the other smells in the air, including some other restaurants, he sniffed ?em out. Like I said, I don?t know what we noshed on, but it was very, very good. Everything fried. Muy picante. Which made the Presidentes taste that much better. Man, I wish I had some right now.

Language. I don?t how anybody can get by outside the walls of an AI without being at least at an intermediate level of proficiency in spanish. I don?t think a beginner?s level is gonna help you very much. And, by the way, don?t frustrate yourself trying to find shortcuts to learning spanish. There are none that I know of. No hay ninguno que yo sepa. When I made my first trip in October 2001, I was at the end of 2 years of very intense study and had got to the point where I didn?t need to keep a dictionary with me all the time to talk to my mexican friends. Not fluent, no, not even close, but way beyond beginner. By intense, I mean at least two hours a day with audio tapes or textbooks or actual conversation or watching Univision. I also had (and still have) a tutor one hour a week for the really hard stuff. At that time I had a 45-minute commute to work one way and I listened to instructional tapes both ways. I was feeling pretty good about how fast I was learning (those pesky past imperfect subjunctives notwithstanding).

continued..... oh my, there's more?

chicker

Jan 1, 2002
the epilogue rambles on and on......

Anyway, prepared as I thought I was, within two days of arriving in Santiago, I had given up. I couldn?t understand anybody and I couldn?t get anybody to understand me. I was frustrated almost to the point of tears. Seriously. Remember, I had no HB on that trip, all pre-DR1 experience. Just me, myself and mi dicionario. Fortunately, though, the organization (org, for short) through which I have the sponsored children, thought I spoke well enough that they didn?t think I needed a translator and so I spent about five hours total with my sponsored family and was forced to make myself understood. That was just a stroke of good luck when I really needed some. For some reason, my sponsored child, who was 15 at the time, and I got on the same beam. We could just talk back and forth fairly effortlessly. Sometimes it just happens. But just to make sure that my feet didn?t get too far off the ground with pride, I couldn?t understand a word that her 19-year-old brother said and he couldn?t understand me either. But, he was a real fan of the band Man? and I had brought a bunch of their CDs to give to the girl and so, hey, at least we could all sing along together.

Well, communication can take many forms and singing a song together can be fun. But if you want to carry on any kind of meaningful conversation, better start studying. I guess for a self-test, pick out a two-hour block of programming on Univision; mix up news and novellas and those ?family problem? shows. I say if you can truly say you understood most of what you just listened to, you?ll do alright in the DR. Of course, there are many words that you?ll hear only in the DR and there are words that you?ve already learned that mean something different in the DR and of course, hardly no one pronounces the ?s? and the ?d? and remember that the ?r? comes out sounding like ?l? but if you?re ?Univision qualified? you?ll be able to use what you do know to figure out what people are trying to say to you. Fluent? Not really. But you?ll be getting closer. There are already a lot of other threads on this topic. I don?t want to get too redundant. Just use the SEARCH, which is just another one of the fine features of this fine website. And if ?Univision Qualified? becomes part of the english parlance in the future, remember, you heard it here first.

I know I didn?t go into much detail on my sponsored child #4 in the original post. Just because of the schedule that the org forced me to adhere to (and they did the best they could, I guess) I hardly got to meet him and then we had to be off to the Monument party. Most of the information that the org provided on him was way out of date. He was supposed to have a mom and dad and three brothers, but, the little guy had been abandoned by his parents and was living with relatives. Which relatives, I?m not sure. His grandmother accompanied him to the party. I could hardly understand either of them, even though I sat next to him throughout the whole party. We went for a house visit afterwards, but after we got to where he lives, I decided against staying around too long. His house was next to a fairly busy street in the actual city of Santiago and resembled a concrete bunker, with tin roof, of course.

There must have been 15 or so people just standing around. Friends? Relatives? I don?t know. There were at least three girls who looked to be in their teens holding babies and there was just a lot of ?busy-ness? about the place. People going in; people coming out; a lot of chatter. I couldn?t see where my gringo intrusion was going to add anything positive to the mix, so I just bid the little boy and his grandmother ?adios? with a big hug and a promise that I would be back. I am now trying to find out through the org just what his situation is. Of all the kids, he just appeared to be the saddest, and the most uncomfortable, and my heart really breaks for him, but I am learning to step back and let the org handle things. They seem to do everything much more slowly than I would, but they have the experience and the patience that I don?t. I have a little problem ?letting go of the steering wheel? as it were. You can ask HB. He described it as ?being wound too tight? but he?s being nice. I can be a real pain in the rear at times.

Well I could keep writing but I?ve just about exhausted all the pertinent issues and, I suppose, the patience of the readers as well, the few that might actually be left at this point. Will I be returning to the DR this year? You could bet your last peso on it, si Dios me permite. I would like to wait until October or November, but I want to bring my wife this time and with her job status at the post office, she can only get a week off in July and another week in December. I can?t wait until December so it looks like a summer holiday this time around. Meantime, as for specific information on the sponsored children and the org, I?m gonna post it under a separate thread soon. Well, to all of you who enjoyed this way-too-long trip report, I say thanks for playing along. I enjoyed writing it more than I thought I would and, as a bonus, I got to relive, in my mind anyway, some pretty special moments. Entonces yo dar? la media vuelta, y me ir? con el sol cuando muera la tarde. Un fuerte abrazo, amigos. Hasta luego.

Mike B

MaineGirl

The Way Life Should Be...
Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
We need an Aunt to write a screenplay.

That was a beautiful trip report, Mike. Thank you again for sharing it. And also for caring for the child #4 so much. I am all choked up.

Indie

Bronze
Nov 15, 2002
st louis mike

Thank you so much for such a beautifully well-written report. I love the way you write. And thank you so much for being such a wonderful human being! Tienes mucha calidad humana .

God bless.

-Indie

johnsr

Bronze
Apr 13, 2002
"I got to relive, in my mind anyway, some pretty special moments."

Thanks Mike for letting me share in your reliving of those "special moments".
John

m65swede

Mar 18, 2002
Mike: What an outstanding account of your trip! You are truly a gifted communicator and should be very proud of your writings.

st louis mike said:
Entonces yo dar? la media vuelta, y me ir? con el sol cuando muera la tarde.

That parting quote was real special also; from one of my wife's favorite songs. She likes the old version by Javier Sol?s.

Here's hopng that your future trips are as fulfilling as this one and that your future reports are as satisfying. :)

Swede

chicker

Jan 1, 2002
Finally......................

mobrouser said:
mike, did you use a specific organization when you decided to sponsor the 3 children?

if so, perhaps you could start another thread giving some info about it (other members who may use a different one could add their own info to the thread) and why you chose it. if you are doing this on your own--give us info on how you got started.

Look for "Sponsoring children in the DR through Children International" in the Open/General forum.
It's long. so what else is new, eh?
SLM

mobrouser

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
hey, what's 8 months when you're among friends?

thanks so much for doing this, i think it will help a lot of children in RD.

dawnwil

Bronze
Aug 27, 2003
wonderful!

SL Mike,

You know, when I responded to your post yesterday on Children's Intl, I had asked a question about what happened on your visit with your sponsored children, then thought perhaps it was too personal or you would have said more.

And voila!

Your writing truly is lovely... you are a fine storyteller. Your sponsored kids are indeed lucky.

thanks again! D

janiece

Aug 30, 2003
www.jabberholics.com
Thank you very much!

That was a great and informative report. I am now re-thinking staying at an AI because my Spanish is not very good. I really would like to get out and get the ambiance of the DR rather than the ambiance of the AI though. Hmmm, will have to think this over.

Anyway, thank you again for the report. I enjoyed it and have, I think, chosen my children from Children International. :)

goatfarmnga

Bronze
Jun 24, 2003
Such a great story!

I just knew Hillbilly was a good guy! Sounds like that trip did everyone alot of good. The sponsored kids are lucky to have you SLM..You are doing a great service by posting your trip report and info. MMAANNYY more kids will probably gets sponsors from DR1ers thanks to your story! (I am still laughing over the taxi ordeals..) :) Pam