Declare or not to Declare

Los Lobos

Mar 8, 2011
I am a US born citizen. Last week I brought in some exterior lights for my house that we are remodeling because I couldnt find what I wanted in DR. Customs looked at me kind of funny when I had this large suitcase and was only staying for 2 days. I didnt declare these lights but got thru w/o a problem with a few questions. I am coming back down with more lights in 2 weeks. Again large suitcase for only 2 days. Do I need to or should I declare these lights? If so what is the value that is exempt if any. I really dont want to see my lights on some customs officers house.

Thanks

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Never declare anything in your suitcase. And if they find it say it cost about 40 dollars US. They have no clue.

singletravel

Oct 13, 2003
I came through a few weeks ago (pop) with two big bags and declared nothing. To my surprise the X-ray machine wasn't being used and I was asked to empty my two bags. As you, I was bringing lights (garden lights). He asked me whats this??? I said garden lights. He says, "why so many" I say, "I have a big garden" . The girl giggles (his sidekick) but he is not amused, and asks how much, I say $50.00. He waves the supervisor over to look at my box (new from home depot, had a set of 10) and he just shrugs. Then for the first time (in 5 years) he ask to look into my carry-on. What the???

Ok, I have something carefully wrapped in newspaper. He handles it roughly and I say "tranquilla". He smiles with that look "I got him now". He makes take out all my wrapped stuff and show him carefully. He waves his supervisor over to look. loo and behold, ITS MORE GARDEN LIGHTS (I took some old colored floodlights from a house I just sold, they cost ridiculous here). The girl starts to giggle again and I just shrug at him. The porter giggles (I know him) and the inspector just points me out, with a big groan ….

Welcome back to the DR!

P.S. Porter told me the big hancho was there that day and they were trying to look efficient. Ya, right, no propina that day (usually he walks me right through. But to answer your questions, lights are NOT on their list :) :).

irateskateboards

Oct 4, 2006
Boca Chica, Dominican Republic
you can bring in up to 500 bucks worth of goods.if ur ever in doubt just bring along the receipt.i have brought a 32" tv and and some gardening seeds they let me pass thru with out signing one of those blue slips.i brought a 19" tv and they stopped me and then stopped me again to look thru my baby's clothes.so if they're slackin ur passing thru.