Dental Work in the RD

mgrnd

Dec 31, 2008
there are enough patients in this country who can pay those fees easily.
on dentists there is like on other meds and any other thing of course the whole 9 yards available.
private top clinics ask for top rates for their services, such is on this planet usual.
Mike

The question is not whether or not there are patients in this country ABLE to pay $RD20-35k. The question is who will be WILLING to pay $RD20-35k to a dentist who accepts insurance and therefore more than happy to provide this service for RD$2,990. More important is the following. IF A MEDICAL PRACTITIONER TAKES ADVANTAGE OF A PATIENT (WHO IS NEW TO THIS COUNTRY -- WHO ELSE CAN BE SWINDLED IN SUCH WAY) BY CHARGING THE PATIENT A FEE DIFFERENT FROM THE STANDARD FEE, THEN NOT ONLY SUCH MEDICAL PRACTITIONER CANNOT BE TRUSTED AS A PROVIDER FOR MEDICAL TREATMENT, BUT SUCH DOCTOR DOES NOT DESERVE TO BE CALLED A DOCTOR. SUCH DOCTOR IS NOT A PERSON BY MINIMUM ETHICAL STANDARDS. A REASONABLE PERSON SHOULD IMMEADIATELY LEAVE SUCH PRACTITIONER AND REPORT HIS/HER UNETHICAL PRACTICE TO THE INTERNET COMMUNITY, INSURANCE CARRIER, AND HEALTH DEPARTMENT. SUCH DOCTOR IS DANGEROUS FOR THE SOCIETY.

Last edited:

mgrnd

Dec 31, 2008
Doctor's office is not a flee market.

Doctor is not a street vendor. Medical services are medical services. Isn't it clear?

El_Uruguayo

Bronze
Dec 7, 2006
I was going to recommend something like this as well, but my Mother in-law had major issues with a student at one of these clinics. Of course its either free or a very small donation, but you just don't know what the outcome is going to be. Long story short, she needed an implant, it got all infected, I mean down to the bone. After about 4 weeks, they had to remove part of that infected bone. In and out of the hospital since the infection had spread through her body etc... She still has issues today and she started this process about 6 Months ago. Just be real careful who you seek help from! If a good dentist will take payments or if you can borrow the money, do that. I think teeth pain is the worst, especially if something is done the wrong way.

Jeez...Good luck!

Noel

I realize that the user may not respond to this, but I just wanted to point out that the above mentioned clinic is not run by students. They are graduated professionals who are good at what they do. I'm just pointing out that if clinic happened to be free or cheap, it is not necessarily related to the organization I mentioned, and shouldn't be placed in the same boat - no need to associate a random clinic, with a specific clinic.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
The question is not whether or not there are patients in this country ABLE to pay $RD20-35k. The question is who will be WILLING to pay $RD20-35k to a dentist who accepts insurance and therefore more than happy to provide this service for RD$2,990. More important is the following. IF A MEDICAL PRACTITIONER TAKES ADVANTAGE OF A PATIENT (WHO IS NEW TO THIS COUNTRY -- WHO ELSE CAN BE SWINDLED IN SUCH WAY) BY CHARGING THE PATIENT A FEE DIFFERENT FROM THE STANDARD FEE, THEN NOT ONLY SUCH MEDICAL PRACTITIONER CANNOT BE TRUSTED AS A PROVIDER FOR MEDICAL TREATMENT, BUT SUCH DOCTOR DOES NOT DESERVE TO BE CALLED A DOCTOR. SUCH DOCTOR IS NOT A PERSON BY MINIMUM ETHICAL STANDARDS. A REASONABLE PERSON SHOULD IMMEADIATELY LEAVE SUCH PRACTITIONER AND REPORT HIS/HER UNETHICAL PRACTICE TO THE INTERNET COMMUNITY, INSURANCE CARRIER, AND HEALTH DEPARTMENT. SUCH DOCTOR IS DANGEROUS FOR THE SOCIETY.

wrong,
i disagree on that.
the rates given by the insurers are their quotes of what they find appropriate for an average treatment.
and there are on that private clinic sector of course clinics/docs who provide a higher standard.treatment.services than the average, and on a free market they are free to ask for their higher standards also higher fees than others. and every patient is a free person to decide which service level that patient wants to get/receive.
i got my whole upper jaw teeth probs solved in a clinic on the campo for just around 7500.- pesos total, no pain, no afterwards corrections needed, i am completely satisfied with the service and the result of the work. that been around 2 months ago.
last year my wife had trouble with just 1 frontteeth, no replacement required, and she got here in bavaro a quote of 23.000.- pesos for that simple job.
but the differences of both places are very clear.
i've been myself in a lil campo clinic which can not hold to any high standard, wifey got her quote from a clinic which can hold up with any european or US american standard.
different service level bring different costs.
Mike

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
I had two broken off roots removed, one wobbly one removed, one capped, a full upper set of dentures and a partial lower denture (molars), teeth cleaned. Cost RD$33000, a lot of money but compared to the UK very reasonable. A very pleasant, appeared to me, skilled female dentist. We live in Las Terrenas.

mgrnd

Dec 31, 2008
the rates given by the insurers are their quotes of what they find appropriate for an average treatment.
and there are on that private clinic sector of course clinics/docs who provide a higher standard.treatment.services than the average, and on a free market they are free to ask for their higher standards also higher fees than others.
and every patient is a free person to decide which service level that patient wants to get/receive.

The issue is not a right of one doctor to ask a fee higher than another doctor for the same service. Who questions this right? The issues are different.

1. A doctor has no right to discriminate patients by asking different fees. This is a professional misconduct. And not only professional misconduct.

2. A doctor has no right to misinform his/her patient by telling the patient that the fee asked is doctor's standard fee for the same service (which is in fact 10 times higher than standard fee of the same doctor for the same service). This is a professional misconduct.

3. A medical facilty affiliated with an insurance carrier has no right to charge for any specific service a fee higher than specified by the agreement between medical facility and the insurance carrier. This is a breach of business contract and a professional misconduct.

4. A medical facility affiliated with an insurance carrier has no right to bill the insurance carrier for a service already paid in full by a patient. This is an insurance fraud.

5. Even if a doctor is not affiliated with an insurance carrier and even if a doctor has standard fees for all patients without discrimination -- even in this scenario, a doctor has only a legal right to ask a fee higher than another doctor, but doctor has neither moral nor a legal right to charge ANY FEES HE LIKES. 'PHYSICIAN' IS A LICENSED PROFESSION. THIS MEANS RESTRICTIONS AND OBLIGATIONS OF THE HOLDER OF THE LICENSE. THE FEE MUST BE REASONABLE. This is true not only for the medical profession. This restriction is a basic ethical restriction of any profession. In licensed professions (such as doctor or lawyer) charging a fee other than reasonable is a misconduct. For example, the definition of a reasonable fee for dental services is simple and clear: it is the fee charged by a dental professional for a specific dental procedure that has been modified by the nature and severity of the condition being treated and by any medical or dental complications or unusual circumstances. This means that the fee must be determined by the nature and severity of the condition being treated and by any medical or dental complications or unusual circumstances. Doctor is allowed to charge fees based only on the factors listed above (patient's conditions, complications, circumstances). Doctor has neither moral nor legal right to ask any fees he likes (just because it is his office and it is him who provides services). In particular, it is misconduct for a doctor to charge fees based on patient's country of origin, ability to speak Spanish, time spent in the country, etc.

Yes, it is doctor's office. Yes, it is doctor's business. But it is professional service and it licensed profession. And doctors know this. Dominican doctors not an exception. There are various mechanisms to punish doctors who ignore their obligations. And doctors know this well. The reason why some local doctors overcharge foreigners is clear: doctors sincerely believe that foreigners are idiots (idiots luckily born in developed countries).

6. More important than all!!! A doctor with a street vendor mentality is not a doctor. His primary goal is to make money -- not to help patients. Patients are his instruments to make money. A doctor with a street vendor mentality will not waste time by studying the subject, analyzing patient's conditions, making reasearch, looking for the best treatment. He is thinking about the best strategy to suck money from patients. Amount of money sucked is his only scale of success. Will a reasonable person to trust his/her health (and possible life) to such Dr. Junk?

El_Uruguayo

Bronze
Dec 7, 2006
I agree with your statements mg, but out of curiousity, how many people do you think go into dentistry with the goal of helping people? I'm sure most do it for money.

And as far as a lot of dentists go, they are like mechanics, they open up the hood, tell you need a new transmission, and it will cost x amount for labour and parts - you not knowing anything about transmission either accept or decline, but really have no way to gauge the price. And I definately agree charging more to a foreigner is deplorable - my wife's sister got charge like 5-10 more for a procedure than my wife. Her sister is dominican but lives in NY, just because someone lives in another country doesnt mean they are rich - hell, the fact they are going to the DR for dental work instead of doing it in the US or wherever, should be an indication that they are not rich.

mgrnd

Dec 31, 2008
I agree with your statements mg, but out of curiousity, how many people do you think go into dentistry with the goal of helping people? I'm sure most do it for money..

Unfortunately, you are right. Health care is a very profitable business today. Millions of people are there and go there for money with little or no ability and desire to "waste" their time by studying, reading, thinking, helping patients. Even worse... Many "doctors" will not think a minute to destroy the health and life of a patient in exchange for a profit from a unnecessary surgery or procedure. Dentists have their own methods to suck money from patients (creating a necessity for root canal treatment by drilling a relatively healthy tooth ?a little deeper than needed? -- one of the most popular methods). Dominican doctors are not an exception. No question, they are already spoiled. Many of them have a very low qualification and are hunting for money and only for money. It is visible without a microscope. And you can see it better if you are a foreigner because it is where the local people (including doctors) feel the smell of money.

Fortunately, some percentage of health care providers (very small, probably less than 3%) have abilities, knowledge, love to their profession. As a general rule, these doctors do not exchange their soul for money. PROFESSIONAL QUALIFICATION IS INCONSISTENT WITH THE IDEA OF "PROFITS BY ANY MEANS", because professional progress is possible only if accompanied with creative, cognitive, moral stimulants. The financial stimulant only is sufficient for a business progress but not for a professional progress. If a doctor is a swindler, he has minimum or no abilities and knowledge in his field because he most likely came into the field with no abilities and you can be sure he will not 'waste' his time by studying, reading, thinking, helping patients.

mgrnd

Dec 31, 2008
And I definately agree charging more to a foreigner is deplorable

Of course, it is a matter of money too, but it is not only a matter of money. There are more serious issues here:

1. A doctor swindles you, takes advantage of you, takes advantage of you at the time of your physical and emotional suffering, takes advantage of you when you need his help, when you ask his help, when you visit him for his help, when you trust him, when you believe he will do everything to help you, as implicitly or explicitly promised by him. But instead,

2. A doctor treats you as (and clearly lets his staff know that you are) a second class person in his office.

3. A doctor treats you as (and clearly lets his staff know that you are) "another (American, Canadian, Italian, German,...) idiot" who is not only willing to pay 5-10 times the regular fees but also accepts doctor's plan of treatment and is easily manipulated in many ways.

4. The most important issue is that such a "doctor" has already his plan how "to set you at the hook" to suck maximum possible profits from your suffering. You cannot trust him for your treatment. Such doctor is very dangerous. He can easily damage your health (there are many methods to do this) in order to suck your money. He will do anything for money without thinking a minute. And in such country as this, a doctor has no reasons to think about medical malpractice issues. Yes, if you discover the damage, you can bring him certain problems other than medical practice (if you are still physically able to do this after his treatment, willing to spend your time for this purposes, and know how to act). It is why such "doctor" usually 'tests a new patient for stupidity'. During initial visits, the overcharge is relatively small in absolute numbers (while it still can be 3-5 times doctors regular fees). If the patient continue visits, then the patient is classified as another easily manipulated non-dangerous "idiot".

Arrica

Jun 3, 2006
I can't but wonder if those small dentist offices disinfect properly. That's the scary part for me.

what somebody names properly is always relative.
that's why some pay several K's in US and others some K's in pesos.
but the higher rate at a facility never guarantees the better service/caretaking aso.

Reminds me of many years ago in a small town in Mozambique some hours flight north of Maputo, where I went to a local clinic for a root canal treatment. Most of my colleagues were aghast that I dared, but the clinic was only choice for the emergency, it was clean, the doctor seemed to know what he was doing, and the work has lasted ever since.

It often boils down to your personal psychology and what you are comfortable with. Do you need the shiny lights all over the ceiling and marble top counters, or are you comfortable with something more 'rustic' - what matters for me most is that instruments are clean and the person provides professional explanations;

Buster1

Mar 25, 2009
Can anyone recommend a good dentist in the puerto plata area or cabarete. what are the usual prices for ceramic braces?

bayaguanaman

Oct 22, 2009
Hi Mike F

I am back in Bayaguana at the months end for the arrival of the twins. I agree on the comments on the standard of the work "in the campo". I had to use Dr Gomez clinic last week, and the cost 300 pesos, the guy was 100% spot on on his analysis and medications.
Can I ask please, what dental lab you used, I need some work done and may as well kill 2 birds with the one stone ! Thanks