Deportation from US

Dessie

Jul 8, 2004
Not a lesser plea

Ricardo900 said:
First off, if he served 6 months in jail, it was probably a plea deal to a lesser FELONY Drug possession charge, ie. crack, heroine, cocaine or a lot of weed.

Since the US is digitally fingerprinting & photographing ALL!! non-US individuals, he will NEVER pass Good Ole US CUSTOMS.

The only way he'll be able to get in to the US is if he swims over to PR "YOLA PASSAGE", sorry but that's the reality. The US notified everybody thru the TV and Newspapers about the pending law.

Read all the files myself. He was caught with just enough to be arrested for possession. His lawyer was not exactly supportive, he told him to plea guilty. Period. Rather than spend more time on the case. Oh and by the way that lawyer no longer practices, he was disbarred for unethical behavior a year after my fiance's brother got arrested.

This info on the US customs is great to know but 14+ years ago things were done the ole fashioned way.

He is not desperate to get out of the DR he just wants to know if he can return to pursue citizenship. His visits to the US on a vistor's visa just isnt long enough to him. And yes he does come for visits, otherwise I would never have met him and he is trying to be legal about all this, otherwise he would have come for a visit and hide till they caught him. That news report that you reference is what triggered his family to start asking more and more.

So thank you for info and I will keep my fiance's family informed as well.

Last edited:

Dessie

Jul 8, 2004
When asked for help

Rocky said:
It's not a great question, it's a lousy one.
Where did you get the idea that people weren't allowed to voice their opinions?
You may be used to controlling and dominating some minions around you, but here on this board you have a bunch of good people who take the time to give out info to any and all who ask and they certainly are entitled to their opinions, whether you asked for them or not.
Furthermore, your question was a USA question and not DR related and this board is about the DR and not about US immigration laws.

Before you all go jumpin my sh*t and acting like I am stifling you and your opinions, what all of you are doing by telling me not to help this deliquent is the same. I can resepct the help I did receive from those who did not degrade me by my decision to help my future family but I do not have to accept or acknowledge the degradation by the others who cut me down for trying to help loved ones with their concerns and questions.

My fiance's mother and many other members of his family are interested in just hearing "hear say" they want to know if any has ever heard of this ever being done or if it is possible. That's all. Exhausting all avenues of research, this was a last resort.

This question was referring to DR residents being permitted into the US and if anyone in the DR has been allowed to re-enter as potential citizens. How can I find out about DR residents by asking the USA?

Exhausted and tired of defending my post.

Dessie

Last edited:

Dessie

Jul 8, 2004
[/QUOTE]
By the way, now they are not asking too many questions, you get caught and they do not wait for you to go on parole, they go to the prison and grab you before you had the time to put a foot out of it and then they take you to the Immigration and Naturalization's jail to wait for a available plane out.[/QUOTE]

Yes we are aware of this now. Thank you. It sucks that 14 years ago things were not that clear and things were told to him that don't seem to be so true now. I appreicate the fact that you seem to be in sync with what it us that I am attempting to find out.

This has been a very hard research project for me and immigration law is not easy to investigate.

Last edited:

Dessie

Jul 8, 2004
miguel said:
Honey, people can not have it both ways, how come he was not thinking about his wife, all his family, his mother, brothers, sisters and children when he started doing something that he was full aware that was illegal?. You can defend all you want and maybe he is now the nicest man alive, but that does not erase that he did something wrong and when someone does something wrong, you have to pay for it. Where were the "love" for his family when he was doing it?. By the way, NOBODY is going to be deported for just a blunt. You said that he did 6 months, so, sorry, it was much more than just a blunt. Anyways, NO, he will not set foot in the US again, ever, at least not legally.

By the way, he should pray to God every single day that he was caught in the good ol' US of A and not in the DR!!.

He was a child. He was not thinking of what he had at home at the time. Not even 20 years old and living the party life like so many young american kids do. If he had been thinking that way maybe his actions would have been more responsible.

On one hand I can understand why everyone would be so harsh to my future brother-in-law but on the other hand I wish that you would all understand that I am asking this because I cannot get the answer from anyone in the US since the people that were deported are in the DR.

thick_neck

*** Sin Bin ***
Apr 6, 2004
Dessie...

Deportees are usually told that after several years they can apply for reinstatement; I know some folks that have applied, but all were denied. One guy actually married a U.S. citizen after deportation, but to no avail.

Some have been deported, then were able to get a visa to Mexico and crossed the Texas-Mexico border.

-Joseito

Dessie

Jul 8, 2004
Thank You

thick_neck said:
Deportees are usually told that after several years they can apply for reinstatement; I know some folks that have applied, but all were denied. One guy actually married a U.S. citizen after deportation, but to no avail.

Some have been deported, then were able to get a visa to Mexico and crossed the Texas-Mexico border.

-Joseito

Well thank you. This is the straight up information that I was trying to get. I cannot tell you how wonderful to get some information is. Now at least I can go home and tell my future mother-in-law to just forget it.

Thank you again thick_neck

Dessie

Chris_NJ

Bronze
Dec 17, 2003
Did I read this right?

Dessie said:
. His visits to the US on a vistor's visa just isnt long enough to him. And yes he does come for visits, otherwise I would never have met him and he is trying to be legal about all this, otherwise he would have come for a visit and hide till they caught him.

So he has been visiting the US after he was deported? I don't know how that is possible but would consider him VERY lucky. I would think that every time they see him at the airport (or at the consulate when he got the visitors visa) that their computer would show he is a deported convicted felon.

I would quit while I was ahead and have him keep visiting (if this is working so far) whenever he wants, because I read an article last year that a guy was deported to Cambodia when he applied for his citizenship because an old conviction showed up. Had he never applied he probably could have just stayed a permanent resident forever.

Last edited:

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004

thick_neck

*** Sin Bin ***
Apr 6, 2004
Ricardo...

No one will work a deportation case pro bono, especially one in which the person is already out of the country. First of all, lawyers with immigration expertise are extremely busy, and secondly, although all are required to do fifty hours of free service a year, most don't, and those who do, pick and choose.

INS, or H.L.S., has had free reign in deporting folks after 9-11. Some of the crimes committed since then would not have warranted deportation in previous years. And in some cases, INS has applied new laws retroactively and folks on parole have gotten kicked out.

-Joseito

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
thick_neck said:
No one will work a deportation case pro bono, especially one in which the person is already out of the country. First of all, lawyers with immigration expertise are extremely busy, and secondly, although all are required to do fifty hours of free service a year, most don't, and those who do, pick and choose.

INS, or H.L.S., has had free reign in deporting folks after 9-11. Some of the crimes committed since then would not have warranted deportation in previous years. And in some cases, INS has applied new laws retroactively and folks on parole have gotten kicked out.

-Joseito
OH WELL :cry: I guess life sucks. If he is able to travel on a visitor's visa, then so be it and leave well enough alone. Ricardo

Dessie

Jul 8, 2004
Chris_NJ said:
So he has been visiting the US after he was deported? I don't know how that is possible but would consider him VERY lucky. I would think that every time they see him at the airport (or at the consulate when he got the visitors visa) that their computer would show he is a deported convicted felon.

I would quit while I was ahead and have him keep visiting (if this is working so far) whenever he wants, because I read an article last year that a guy was deported to Cambodia when he applied for his citizenship because an old conviction showed up. Had he never applied he probably could have just stayed a permanent resident forever.

It has happened numerous times. Time has definitely passed by since this happened and the "system" wasn't so specific then.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Dessie said:
This question was referring to DR residents being permitted into the US and if anyone in the DR has been allowed to re-enter as potential citizens. How can I find out about DR residents by asking the USA?
Dessie
You have got to be kidding me.
I thought you said you had paralegal experience.
What difference would it make if the dude's from the DR, Jamaica or England?
It's a US policy you have to deal with, not a Dominican one.
No wonders you don't have the straight answers yet, you keep looking in the wrong places, even after being told they are the wrong places, despite your knowledge of law.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Dessie you said that he was able to get a vistor's visa since he was deported. When was the last time he got one? I may have missed it.

Thanks

Dessie

Jul 8, 2004
Anna Coniglio said:
Dessie you said that he was able to get a vistor's visa since he was deported. When was the last time he got one? I may have missed it.

Thanks

Four months ago he came to visit. With no problems and no questions asked at checkin

Dessie

Jul 8, 2004
Rocky said:
You have got to be kidding me.
I thought you said you had paralegal experience.
What difference would it make if the dude's from the DR, Jamaica or England?
It's a US policy you have to deal with, not a Dominican one.
No wonders you don't have the straight answers yet, you keep looking in the wrong places, even after being told they are the wrong places, despite your knowledge of law.

You don't even deserve a reply Rocky.

Good luck to you.

Chris_NJ

Bronze
Dec 17, 2003
Dessie said:
Four months ago he came to visit. With no problems and no questions asked at checkin

2 years ago I went to Montreal from NYC with a group of friends (who happened to mostly be Dominicans). On the way back the US customs agents seemed to know everything about them. They asked my one friend about some drug charges from 1989 - the charges turned out to be from my friend's brother who was dead. They asked another guy about late child support.

My point is that customs agents should see your brother in laws past as soon as they swipe his passport - which makes it odd they don't either turn him back or even ask questions.

Dessie

Jul 8, 2004
Chris_NJ said:
2 years ago I went to Montreal from NYC with a group of friends (who happened to mostly be Dominicans). On the way back the US customs agents seemed to know everything about them. They asked my one friend about some drug charges from 1989 - the charges turned out to be from my friend's brother who was dead. They asked another guy about late child support.

My point is that customs agents should see your brother in laws past as soon as they swipe his passport - which makes it odd they don't either turn him back or even ask questions.

This has all been part of this whole confusing mess. Trust me if I understood all this I would be such a happy girl.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Since I looked at the dark side

Part of my job as the Curmudgeon of DR1, let's look at the bright side.

The next time he comes to visit, go to the INS office and start proceedings for citizenship, just to see what comes up.

If the guy has straightened up, maybe he can pull this off...

Good luck, and a happy life to you and your soon to be hubby!

Why not, it seems that you have had your share of family related misery....

HB

Whose children say that they would have turned him into Child Services for the Whippings they got when they were VERY bad. Today it is a joke, but they are all pretty well along in life with kids of their own now and see the wisdom of Uncle Leather!

Dessie

Jul 8, 2004
Thanks

Hillbilly said:
Part of my job as the Curmudgeon of DR1, let's look at the bright side.

The next time he comes to visit, go to the INS office and start proceedings for citizenship, just to see what comes up.

If the guy has straightened up, maybe he can pull this off...

Good luck, and a happy life to you and your soon to be hubby!

Why not, it seems that you have had your share of family related misery....

HB

Whose children say that they would have turned him into Child Services for the Whippings they got when they were VERY bad. Today it is a joke, but they are all pretty well along in life with kids of their own now and see the wisdom of Uncle Leather!

Thanks. And I appreciate your help.

thick_neck

*** Sin Bin ***
Apr 6, 2004
Dessie...

On post # 27, Chris NJ's advice to "quit while ahead" is the best thing to do. Besides, visitors cannot apply for citizenship; one has to first establish permanent residency.

-Joseito