Depositing money in someone else's bank account.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mack

Jan 10, 2009
Banking has changed substantially in the past few years. In Canada you cannot even walk into the cheque issuer's bank and obtain cash unless you have a bank account with that bank. Nor can you have the cheque certified unless you have a bank account with that bank. The only way to cash the cheque is through your own bank. This is aimed at preventing cheque kiting and money laundering.Check kiting - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Internet banking at Banco Leon only allowed depositing USD into someone else's account if they held an USD account with Banco Leon. You could not transfer USD to a USD account in a different bank. DOP only. I say could not because it may have changed with the merger with BHD but I doubt it. You should be able to walk into any bank with cash and be able to deposit into someone else's account USD or DOP without any problem.
Mack.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
All checks deposited into dollar accounts in DR must be endorsed.

We make deposits into our dollar account all the time using personal checks from US account - once Mr. AE forgot to endorse the back of the check and they cancelled the deposit. He had signed the front only. We only found out the next time we went to the bank.

DR_Guy

Bronze
Feb 17, 2010
Send yourself USD through Vimenca. $25 for $950 sent. Convert to pesos at normal rate and deposit cash in their bank account.

InsanelyOne

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
Send yourself USD through Vimenca. $25 for $950 sent. Convert to pesos at normal rate and deposit cash in their bank account.

I'd lose my shirt on a transaction like that. I'm depositing into a USD account. I'd lose on the conversion from USD to pesos and then lose more converting back to USD.

I ended up finding a courier here in El Cortecito that delivered it to my lawyers office in Santo Domingo for US$15.

Thanks for your input everyone.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Caribe Tours would have been $1 -$2...................

but at least you're done with it.

I send all my lawyers' papers by bus and have my meat delivered by bus..... SD to Cabrera.

RD Life isn't always complicated... in some ways it can be easier, I find.... not always, sometimes

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
I'd lose my shirt on a transaction like that. I'm depositing into a USD account. I'd lose on the conversion from USD to pesos and then lose more converting back to USD.

I ended up finding a courier here in El Cortecito that delivered it to my lawyers office in Santo Domingo for US$15.

Something to consider; did you spend more than $50 of your time to save $35 vs xoom? If so...

DR_Guy

Bronze
Feb 17, 2010

Vimenca gives you dollars if you want.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast

Glad it worked out for you

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.