Did I mess up ordering my food and give myself food poisoning?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
meat needed to be cooked? not really, see my previous post. the germs are on the outside. A blue or rare steak isnt heated inside thats the point of it, lots of blood........
ever heard of steak tartar? raw minced steak.
people nearly always think that the food made them ill., but it could be from any number of places, from not washing your hands after toilet, to shaking other peoples hands, common one is drinking from a bottle of beer. you would know if you have food poisoning, it is agonisingly painful cramps.

a steak is prepared (cooked, grilled). even rare reaches about 45 celsius inside.

and yes, i know tatar (in polish, tartar as you call it), quite popular in my country, unfortunately. major source of food poisoning for years. i do not like raw meat and i would certainly not eat in it in DR.

bacteria is one thing but parasites are a different matter. tape worm for starters. toxoplasmosis too (cats are innocent). sarcosporidiosis.

btw, no disrespect here. i am sure you know about cooking more than i do. just making few points.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
Been here 10 years and always order steaks medium-rare, which the waiters usually misunderstand as medium-red, but I have learned not to be picky here. Not sure if there is even a difference between the two - but I like to have it pretty red throughout the middle.

I have ordered steak tartar (not cooked at all) mutliple times here, from two different restaurants on the North Coast, Pavillion near Cofresi and Waterfront in Sosua.

I never gotten sick from food from steak, I did get sick from chicken one time at another restaurant.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
my sister in law has a weakness for carpaccio. has been eating it for years. lately she has been tested for toxoplasmosis and it turned out she is so over the limit ever her doctor was speechless. treatment lasted for months.

davetuna

Bronze
Jun 19, 2012
Cabarete, Dominican Republic
my sister in law has a weakness for carpaccio. has been eating it for years. lately she has been tested for toxoplasmosis and it turned out she is so over the limit ever her doctor was speechless. treatment lasted for months.

does she make it or buy it?
How long has it been prepared before eating? These types of food need eating straight away after preparation normally, I would not order this in a hotel or restaurant plenty of good info online.

many people have cats and are stroking their cats and then go to make a sandwich or something, these are great ways to ingest all kinds of germs.

Therefore it is good to take an interest in the foods which you are eating. No excuse nowadays for people, what with the internet and a million food forums, not to know basic food hygiene.

Food is what keeps us alive, and it is worth investing some time and money into our own bodies.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
she used to eat carpaccio in a variety of restaurants. not anymore. they have a cat too but she is allergic to it so there is not much cat touching going on :)
most of toxoplasmosis infections are due to meat and soil. cats are further down the line.

o totally agree with you: take care of what you eat. things suck in DR not because of bad meat but because of crappy (literally) preparation. general mess, lack of hygiene, lack of knowledge. using dirty utensils, waiters with dirty hands, contaminated water, all that. and above all - power problems and constant fluctuations in storage temperature of foodstuffs.

we make most of our things from scratch and i still cook meat a little bit more than a cowboy would want to see :)
i used to get sick a lot. roughly every two months, one week at a time. last few times my digestive system was ok but nervous system failed (several different bacteria/parasites in one go). i was shaking, i could not walk or talk, i was such a mess miesposo took me directly to a hospital. i did mention that before. ever since we had our fridge connected to the inversor. no more problems ever since.

so yeah, do not blame your last meal.