difference between junto a and cerca de

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
Are any examples given by Fluencia?

This is what the words mean:

1) junto a= next to - in my experience in the spoken language junto a is not is not as common as its equivalent which is al lado de

2) cerca de= near/ close to

Reactions: NanSanPedro

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
Are any examples given by Fluencia?

This is what the words mean:

1) junto a= next to - in my experience in the spoken language junto a is not is not as common as its equivalent which is al lado de

2) cerca de= near/ close to
Thanks Marianopolita. I've had cerca de for a lot of time and they just introduced junto a today. So I don't have an example for cerca de.

Feb 7, 2007
Esta junto al colmado ... excatly next to the Colmado
Esta cerca de colmado ... it's near colmado, but not excatly next to it... in this case "cerca" is a general point of reference but once you are there you need to look further. "Junto a" is also a point of reference, but a specific one, once you are there you don't need to look further because it's right there by its side.

Reactions: NanSanPedro

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Thanks Marianopolita. I've had cerca de for a lot of time and they just introduced junto a today. So I don't have an example for cerca de.

Now since you have learned something new take note how often you notice junto a in the spoken language.

Many people recommend Duolingo for Spanish learning. Do you have any experience with that app for Spanish?

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
No I don't have any experience with it. I will check it out.

I known someone that was using it and it is okay for basic intro Spanish but in general I do think these methods can compliment formal or personalized instruction. I got questions from him everyday which I don’t mind but I saw the gaps in using these online apps. However, some people can’t study and learn using a text book or with more formal instruction.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
I known someone that was using it and it is okay for basic intro Spanish but in general I do think these methods can compliment formal or personalized instruction. I got questions from him everyday which I don’t mind but I saw the gaps in using these online apps. However, some people can’t study and learn using a text book or with more formal instruction.

I'm older (65), so I would prefer an in class learning. I screwed up when I was in Arizona not taking advantage of the community college there. I should have done that. Plus, we had so many Mexicans there it was almost like living in a classroom.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
I'm older (65), so I would prefer an in class learning. I screwed up when I was in Arizona not taking advantage of the community college there. I should have done that. Plus, we had so many Mexicans there it was almost like living in a classroom.

Yes, I think in class learning is a must at least for the first few years. Language learning requires dedication and if you get a good instructor it’s just a bonus. The presence of the Spanish language is very strong in the US. Definitely, to one’s benefit if one can speak both English and Spanish.