Direct Deposit

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
I have my funds deposited in mh US account then withdraw my US bank monies with my debit card using a teller inside the bank. I always had grouble with the machines. Not giving cash ( and charging me for it and takes time to get it all settled) or eating my card.
Do you have an account in the bank you go to for that? What is the bank here you go to? Thanks.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
That makes sense. I'm not familiar with American ATMs down there, are you near Juan Dolio by ant chance?
I'm in Boca Chica but i go to the gym in San Isidro 3 or 4 times a week. There is a Scotia Bank co-located with Bravo and Smart Fit. I always go there because they seem to have the best rate and they're so convenient. There are no Scotia Banks in Boca Chica. Also I get an old fart discount with my bank on ATM fees, capped at 1%.

If memory serves me right, Popular has the worst exchange rate and by a significant margin. Johne would know if there are any Scotia Banks in Juan Dolio, but I suspect there are none. San Pedro would be your next option for that specific bank.

Regardless of how you choose to do this, make sure you have multiple ways to get money. Western Union or World Remit or Remitly are ones I have used. But never be stuck with one way only, because if something can go wrong, it will.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Get a debit card from your US bank and find out which banks here charge $0 for the ATM.....
or, as stated - use a teller

Done

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Thanks, but I'm still a little confused. When you say "

in a dollar account in DR? If not, how do you access the money. ATM card only? Or do you write a check to yourself and deposit that and wait 2 weeks? I will need a good part of my SS income in pesos on a monthly basis. Still confused...ugh. I know the answer is simple, I'm just not getting it.
I do the same as Windy and AE. It's very simple. Open a USD and peso account at a bank here with, say, double your monthly requirement. Let's say you open with $4,000USD. After 2 weeks to a month, deposit a check from your US account for $2K. The reason is it takes 2 weeks to a month for the funds to be available depending on the bank. Now, you can easily change USD to pesos online at your bank here for expenses here.

You just need to plan ahead and have some funds already in the bank here because the checks take time to clear.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
This should be known to all. You can ALWAYS get more from Cambios when exchanging US dollars to pesos than a bank. That is a fact to anyone living here any length of time. So just take out the Dollars and go to a Cambio instead of letting the bank do it..................

Reactions: bob saunders

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I can send 7500 dollars a day from by RBC acct in Canada to my BHD account. It takes 2-3 days before its available. BHD charges me 7 dollars US, and RBC charges me 10 dollars Canadian. The Canadian government will deposit my pension cheques in many countries, but the DR isn't one of them.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
That's true for many banks, but not all. I get the same exchange rate at Banco Santa Cruz online that I can get at any of the cambios in Cabarete or Sosua, including CaribeExpress. Can I get maybe .25 pesos better at some of the cambios I've seen posted in Santiago? Yes, but no way I'm driving all the way there for .25 pesos more.

Reactions: Buck

zeferus

Feb 22, 2022
Canada
I can send 7500 dollars a day from by RBC acct in Canada to my BHD account. It takes 2-3 days before it’s available. BHD charges me 7 dollars US, and RBC charges me 10 dollars Canadian. The Canadian government will deposit my pension cheques in many countries, but the DR isn't one of them.
If in the spirit of understanding more and why, have you ever looked at using ScotiaBank ABM card in a ScotiaBank DO ATM ? I did that anytime I need cash and there are no fees.

zeferus

Feb 22, 2022
Canada
I'm in Boca Chica but i go to the gym in San Isidro 3 or 4 times a week. There is a Scotia Bank co-located with Bravo and Smart Fit. I always go there because they seem to have the best rate and they're so convenient. There are no Scotia Banks in Boca Chica. Also I get an old fart discount with my bank on ATM fees, capped at 1%.

If memory serves me right, Popular has the worst exchange rate and by a significant margin. Johne would know if there are any Scotia Banks in Juan Dolio, but I suspect there are none. San Pedro would be your next option for that specific bank.

Regardless of how you choose to do this, make sure you have multiple ways to get money. Western Union or World Remit or Remitly are ones I have used. But never be stuck with one way only, because if something can go wrong, it will.
ScotiaBank has an ATM in the Emotions Hotel in Juan Dolio. It’s not on their website but it’s there between the entertainment stage and the gift shop.

Reactions: NanSanPedro

zeferus

Feb 22, 2022
Canada
What is the maximum a person can take out that way?
Personably I have taken out 20,000 pesos 10,000 per transaction. I never tried higher. I also do global money transfer from the Canadian Bank to the Dominican one similar to what you describe at RBC. Most bills are paid electric from ScotiaBank DO

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I’ve never used a teller. You can go into any bank and hand them your ATM/Debit card and take out whatever you want?
The question was ScotiaBank to Scotiabank.... Canada/DR

My case - teller - I have a Scotia account in both countries so I am a bit different.....
The ATM card itself has a limit..... one would be wise to speak to their bank about changing the limit if deemed too low

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
The question was ScotiaBank to Scotiabank.... Canada/DR

My case - teller - I have a Scotia account in both countries so I am a bit different.....
The ATM card itself has a limit..... one would be wise to speak to their bank about changing the limit if deemed too low

Ah, I missed that part about Scotia. Thanks

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Thanks, but I'm still a little confused. When you say "

in a dollar account in DR? If not, how do you access the money. ATM card only? Or do you write a check to yourself and deposit that and wait 2 weeks? I will need a good part of my SS income in pesos on a monthly basis. Still confused...ugh. I know the answer is simple, I'm just not getting it.
After seeing the issues of SS money being deposited directly in DR banks, I am happy I did NOT do that.

Simply deposit enough in US dollar accounts in DR banks here in the DR using US based checks from your US bank (that has your SS directly deposited to in the US) to cover your expenses in the DR.

Then withdraw the US dollars from the DR bank and change them where ever you feel comfortable from Wally's in Cabarete to Caribe Express or Western Union.
The bank will probably not have as good a rate if you exchange them in the bank itself. There are those money changers that will also change to DR pesos from a US check. I have never done that.

Reactions: bob saunders

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Make sure you calculate your savings - I have never seen it be enough to do 2 trips..... fractions you're talking for $100-150 US