Disappointed with British feedback...

buttons66

Oct 3, 2006
re mountainfrog

Now Now
Have you lived in britain?
My word!!!! It is the pits now, 25% of Britons have moved abroad in the last 5 years because of the state of the country, most have either gone to France, Spain, Bulgaria, Austraila or New Zealand. We are a couple who have thought long and hard and want to spend the rest of our lives in a country we can help and love.

DR is the most special place I have had the pleasure of visiting and far outweighs and other country.

I dont mean to offend anyones country but im sorry its DR or bust lol

louise

wishingiwasthere

Nov 19, 2005
Hey Louise,

M'frog is a well respected member of this board - you do have a problem with zeros and percentages!

25% HAVE NOT moved abroad in the last 5 years! Come on now - maybe 0.025% - but the rest i agree with. The UK is changing for the worse - and that pace of change is speeding up.

I would speak to the other brit ex pats on this board before you go!

I have a long term plan to move to the DR myself - but it will be a few more visits - a lot more spanish - and a lot more DR experiance before we do it!

I wish you good luck!

Dan

buttons66

Oct 3, 2006
Didnt mean to offend

Hey guys dont shoot the messenger lol

I was watching bbc news about 2 months ago and they had an item on brits moving abroad. They said that either 25% have moved or are thinking of moving abroad.
I appoligise to you mountainfrog as so far you have helped me in a few things.

vince1956

On Vacation!
May 24, 2006
Uk Via Dominican Republic

My wife.s a Domincan nice weather nice people but you cant beat the uk, no electric no running water roads are rubbish most of the dominican,s are :bunny: trying to get out of the dominica you could fill up every plane from pop lets get out of here where.s my VISA nice to go back and fore :bunny: mountain frog is right 00 ps dont forget the national health in the uk pay for every think in D/R thats my 2 cents all the best VINCE

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Hey guys dont shoot the messenger lol

I was watching bbc news about 2 months ago and they had an item on brits moving abroad. They said that either 25% have moved or are thinking of moving abroad.
I appoligise to you mountainfrog as so far you have helped me in a few things.

There are a lot of armchair expats in UK so they could have been referring to the people who will 'think about it' this year and still be 'thinking' about it in 10 years time. Is this the report you were referring to?
BBC NEWS | UK | Lifestyle change of Brits abroad
Then remember all those who left, couldn't hack it and returned to UK. I think it is natural to stick all the zeros on at the stage of expat life you are at, i.e. just beginning. This will be tempered by reality over time as mountainfrog says. The DR does have failings but I've been here 14 years and have no intention of returning to UK...............might bump into the new breed of education which evidentally espouses the abolition of full stops.........;)

Dominicaus

Oct 4, 2006
My wife.s a Domincan nice weather nice people but you cant beat the uk, no electric no running water roads are rubbish most of the dominican,s are :bunny: trying to get out of the dominica you could fill up every plane from pop lets get out of here where.s my VISA nice to go back and fore :bunny: mountain frog is right 00 ps dont forget the national health in the uk pay for every think in D/R

Sounds like you found a great reason to keep "your wife" subservient to you... you 'saved her' from a horrible place... she'd better appreciate it.

Yet there are some blatant lies in your post. "No electricity, no running water"... where?

Yes there are blackouts, which sometimes can be rather long, and that is bad... but is that the same as having "No electricity"... I think not. Specially, since there are such things as emergency generators, and battery banks, etc.

There is running water all over the DR. Is the service perfect? No. Can you have service interruption? Yes. Is that the same as "No running water"? Hell no.

Roads? Some are bad, some are decent, a few are good. It depends where you are. Are all DR roads rubbish? Another blatant lie.

Are most Dominicans trying to get out of the DR? I don't know. Can you cite a reliable source of that? Would many Dominicans take advantage of an opportunity to live in the so-called first-world where they could make more money than they currently do, saved up, AND RETURN with a small capita to set up a business or something? I suppose a lot of them would... just like a lot of fellow Latin-American, or Indians, Middle-Easterns, Africans, etc. would. If you knew anything about Dominicans living abroad you would know that MOST really want to make save up a little capital with which to return... or at least to retire in the DR... if not ask "your wife".

As for "your wife"... well if she does exist I hope she reads your post... and reaches the right conclusions.

By the way, how is the weather in the UK, now... and are the lines to see a doc/dentist s on National Health getting any shorter?

qgrande

Bronze
Jul 27, 2005
8% is still a large number...

Depends on how you look at it, and how that figure breaks down. If they all emigrated for the rest of their life to a Caribbean island, yes. If that figure includes people who relocated for work or studies for a couple of years within the European Union to Paris, Brussels, Dublin, etc., it's not. The UK is a relatively small country in a continent with lots of small countries. In many cases you could compare it to moving between states in the US.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Depends on how you look at it, and how that figure breaks down. If they all emigrated for the rest of their life to a Caribbean island, yes. If that figure includes people who relocated for work or studies for a couple of years within the European Union to Paris, Brussels, Dublin, etc., it's not. The UK is a relatively small country in a continent with lots of small countries. In many cases you could compare it to moving between states in the US.
If a state in the US lost 8%, that would be a big number.

The impression I get is that 8% have left permanently, which IS a big number. I wonder how many want IN to GB.

8% of the US emigrating would be 64,000,000.

qgrande

Bronze
Jul 27, 2005
If a state in the US lost 8%, that would be a big number.

The impression I get is that 8% have left permanently, which IS a big number. I wonder how many want IN to GB.

8% of the US emigrating would be 64,000,000.
I don't think you can compare such figures with US emigration. If you relocate 80 miles from Belfast to Dublin you're emigrating. If you move 2,500 miles from Boston to LA, you're not.

The UK still receives quite a lot more people than it loses.

Even if most of that figure would consist of people leaving permanently, moving from the UK to Spain or the South of France to retire is pretty similar to moving from NYC to Florida or Phoenix to retire.

Last edited:

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
The UK still receives quite a lot more people than it loses.

Even if most of that figure would consist of people leaving permanently, moving from the UK to Spain or the South of France to retire is pretty similar to moving from NYC to Florida or Phoenix to retire.
Could be, but it depresses NY economically when that happens. Retirees usually have $$$ when they leave; new immigrants don't.

Additionally, what would the cultural change be if those leaving are replaced by, say, Muslims (as I understand may be the case)?

Besides, the cultural difference between GB ---> Spain/France is much greater than NY--> FL/AZ. (I admit the language difference between GB and Spain/France isn't as great as NYC to FL/AZ;) )

qgrande

Bronze
Jul 27, 2005
Besides, the cultural difference between GB ---> Spain/France is much greater than NY--> FL/AZ. (I admit the language difference between GB and Spain/France isn't as great as NYC to FL/AZ;) )
No shortage of fish n chips and pint-sized lager at the Costas ;) . They might even stock Marmite :D .