Divorce

Status
Not open for further replies.

mart0417

Oct 25, 2006
A couple questions about divorce in the DR. I was married in the DR April 2006 and I need a divorce, my husband and I have been separated for 7 months, do I need to be separated for a year before I can get the divorce? Does my husband have to agree with the divorce or sign anything in order for me to get it? Does my husband have to be with me in the DR when I get it? Can I jsut fly down for a vacation and get the divorce? Do I need a lawyer? Where do I file for divorce? How long with it take to get it? and finally how much does it cost for a divorce? Sorry for all the questions, but I need a divorce, and my husband is not going to cooperate with me, it is too expensive in Canada and I do not tihnk he should be entilted to half of everything of mine when he only lived with me for 5 months and is making my life a living hell right now.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
What you need is his cooperation to get a fast divorce in the DR otherwise it's not easy or cheap especially if he's still in Canada.

DR1 - Legal

Charlielyn

Bronze
Jul 31, 2005
I just re-read your posts from 2006. Your relationship was bad 3 years ago before you brought him to Canada. I would get the fastest divorce from this guy no matter what the cost. You will not be free to be happy until you do. Go to Legal Aid in your community and let them help you. Then start posting your story for others to read.

sammystorm19

Apr 8, 2007
If your marage is registered here in Canada you can get a divorce here. Go to the nearest family court and get the papers to do it yourself. It will cost less then 500.00. You don't need him to sign anything. All you need to do is serve him papers....or get someone else to do it. If you are not able to find him you can fill out another form that they will give you and you are good to go.

You have to be seprated for a year unless there was abuse and it was documented. Then you can file at anytime.

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
If your marage is registered here in Canada you can get a divorce here. Go to the nearest family court and get the papers to do it yourself. It will cost less then 500.00. You don't need him to sign anything. All you need to do is serve him papers....or get someone else to do it. If you are not able to find him you can fill out another form that they will give you and you are good to go.

You have to be seprated for a year unless there was abuse and it was documented. Then you can file at anytime.

You have to be married to get a divorce in Canada punto. It doesn't matter the country you have been married. You don't have to register your mariage in Canada either.

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
I just re-read your posts from 2006. Your relationship was bad 3 years ago before you brought him to Canada. I would get the fastest divorce from this guy no matter what the cost. You will not be free to be happy until you do. Go to Legal Aid in your community and let them help you. Then start posting your story for others to read.

In view of this persons difficult predicament, a bit of sensitivity would go a long way...hindsight is always 20/20.:ermm:

margaret

Bronze
Aug 9, 2006
A couple questions about divorce in the DR. I was married in the DR April 2006 and I need a divorce, my husband and I have been separated for 7 months, do I need to be separated for a year before I can get the divorce? Does my husband have to agree with the divorce or sign anything in order for me to get it? Does my husband have to be with me in the DR when I get it? Can I jsut fly down for a vacation and get the divorce? Do I need a lawyer? Where do I file for divorce? How long with it take to get it? and finally how much does it cost for a divorce? Sorry for all the questions, but I need a divorce, and my husband is not going to cooperate with me, it is too expensive in Canada and I do not think he should be entilted to half of everything of mine when he only lived with me for 5 months and is making my life a living hell right now.
Something doesn't add up. You've been separated for 7 months and he only lived with you for 5 months. Why have you been trying to bring his brother to Canada? March 24/09 you posted this:
http://www.dr1.com/forums/visas/88435-government-nominee-sponsor-program.html

I think this could be inspiration for a merengue hit! :cheeky: You're not going to divorce one and marry the other, are you?

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Something doesn't add up. You've been separated for 7 months and he only lived with you for 5 months. Why have you been trying to bring his brother to Canada? March 24/09 you posted this:
http://www.dr1.com/forums/visas/88435-government-nominee-sponsor-program.html

I think this could be inspiration for a merengue hit! :cheeky: You're not going to divorce one and marry the other, are you?

As the very wise drloca suggested, this doesn't help answer the original question. We have no idea what pressures have been put on this person.

Mart,
I'm only guessing when I say this but no wise judge would ever give him half with all that you have gone through and the amount of time he has been here. We have all kinds of agencies in Canada to help you out so stick to getting help in Canada.

mart0417

Oct 25, 2006
thanks to those of you who actually answered my questions and the rest of you have no idea what I have gone through, but feel free to judge. Anna jsut close the post because it will turn out like all the rest just one post after another telling me how stupid I was.

Status
Not open for further replies.