DNS - Internet - Follow Up

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
The day the pixels died!

I think we're experiencing the aftermath of the Asian undersea earthquakes .. Asian communications as a whole were/are severely disrupted with an undersea cable broken and lots of internet traffic is being routed through other routes (i.e. North America). The internet is like a blob of jello. You wiggle it on one side and it jiggles on the other :laugh:

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I think we're experiencing the aftermath of the Asian undersea earthquakes .. Asian communications as a whole were/are severely disrupted with an undersea cable broken and lots of internet traffic is being routed through other routes (i.e. North America). The internet is like a blob of jello. You wiggle it on one side and it jiggles on the other :laugh:
Sounds like a good explanation.
BTW: Hotmail is up and running again.

jlw919

Sep 18, 2003
Connected wireless at Santiago Cibao Airport now. Good link, Free and getting some work done waiting for flight.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
After receiving a "refresher course" from good friend Rocky, I went and changed my TCP/IP (?) whatever, to the new 208 numbers. I ran the speed tests and they were disappointingly slower thant the new-old 200 IP addies.
In the tests the 200 numbers ran (and I have Verizons cheapest) 435 up and 106 down.
In the two 208 tests i ran 293 up and 89 down (Test #1)
And 432 down and 75 up (Test #2)

then i re-installed the new-old 200 numbers and got:
Test 1 = 428 down and 93 up.
Test 2 = 390 down and 106 up.

so why change??

HB

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
After receiving a "refresher course" from good friend Rocky, I went and changed my TCP/IP (?) whatever, to the new 208 numbers. I ran the speed tests and they were disappointingly slower thant the new-old 200 IP addies.
In the tests the 200 numbers ran (and I have Verizons cheapest) 435 up and 106 down.
In the two 208 tests i ran 293 up and 89 down (Test #1)
And 432 down and 75 up (Test #2)

then i re-installed the new-old 200 numbers and got:
Test 1 = 428 down and 93 up.
Test 2 = 390 down and 106 up.

so why change??

HB
If I remember correctly, the 200 series DNS numbers are the ones I recommended, to replace the 196 series.
What's this about 208's?

PS: OK, I got it now.
Someone gave me those from a website, and they were supposed to be faster.
Sorry if I put you through this for nothing.
I guess I forgot to come back in here and mention the 200 series were now giving me the best performance.
Sorry all.

KeithF

Jul 9, 2006
www.cabarete.org
Connected wireless at Santiago Cibao Airport now. Good link, Free and getting some work done waiting for flight.

Is it free 'by design' or through incompitence? If it's by design, any chance of PoP getting a free hotspot in the refurb? It would certainly take the pain out of waiting for a flight if you could surf the net! Isle of Man Airport (and ferry terminal) are both free but Manchester & Gatwick are bloody expensive!

jinty05

Bronze
Feb 11, 2005
Verizon Speed Test

These are the reults as of 1136hrs, Sunday 7th Jan :-

Last Result:
Download Speed: 1259 kbps (157.4 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 542 kbps (67.8 KB/sec transfer rate)

My service here in Cofresi has been stable for over 6 months at these speeds.

John

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
LA Campagna shops are now WIFI.......go, eat, and surf!!

I go to the one on Calle 6 in the Jardines...

HB

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
On the DR1 forum itself, for weeks now I haven't been able to get the 'go to last post' button on each thread title to work, it either goes to the OP, or in the case of longer threads, to an old post somewhere in the middle of the thread.

On Robert's advice I've logged out, deleted all cookies, and logged in again until I'm blue in the face, but it still doesn't work consistently. The same function works perfectly on another Vbulletin forum I visit, so what else could be done? Does anyone else have this problem?

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
On the DR1 forum itself, for weeks now I haven't been able to get the 'go to last post' button on each thread title to work, it either goes to the OP, or in the case of longer threads, to an old post somewhere in the middle of the thread.

On Robert's advice I've logged out, deleted all cookies, and logged in again until I'm blue in the face, but it still doesn't work consistently. The same function works perfectly on another Vbulletin forum I visit, so what else could be done? Does anyone else have this problem?
Are you on a PC or a Mac?

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Is it free 'by design' or through incompitence? If it's by design, any chance of PoP getting a free hotspot in the refurb? It would certainly take the pain out of waiting for a flight if you could surf the net! Isle of Man Airport (and ferry terminal) are both free but Manchester & Gatwick are bloody expensive!

I am involved in installing wireless internet in north coast hotels. I will find out what the plans are for wireless in the airport. NOt sure how long it will take to get an answer but I will try early this week.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com

I get this from time to time on firefox as well. Strange, but sometimes if I log out ... clear cookies, actually reboot the machine and come in again, the scripts work correctly. Try that, or go and find an update for your browser. It has to do with each browser interpreting the forum differently. It seems to be a firefox thing.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
There is a new version of Firefox out. Firefox/2.0.0.1 Maybe this will help. I don't know about Macs though.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
No, you don't need to travel for it ;) Just look up under help .. check for updates.

If you do this you probably won't get it. They are too swamped to update this way. Go to the site and download it there.