Do?a!

Status
Not open for further replies.

m65swede

Mar 18, 2002
samanasuenos said:
I have to apologize in advance for not knowing how in the world to get a tilde and make an en-yay on this board...!

Simple: Hold down the Alt key, then type 164, then release the Alt key. The ? will appear as if by magic. The capital ? is Alt + 165.

Swede

samanasuenos

Bronze
Oct 5, 2005
Thanks Swede and Ana for the help, but the ALT + 164 is not workin' on my keyboard. Probably wants me to pour some Brugal on it.

Tangential Note: But I am on to a better drink, The Jamona Extra: one shot of Jaggermesiter, followed by as shot of Geritol.

ElvisNYC

Jan 27, 2006
Do?a is used to refer to your elders, whether family or not, as a sign of respect. It's also used throughout many Latin countries, including Ecuador where I'm originally from.

Sep 19, 2005
funny, just today i was talking to my buddies wife, who's mother has a house in the dr directly across from my gf. that is in fact how I met my gf, at my buddies mother in laws house. Well they always called her La Dona. and i thought that was her NAME. so today i asked how was la dona..and my buddies wife was confused...well soon i learned that wasnt her name after all....it was just like they sare saying here..a respect saying for a woman that is married and older. My Gf always calls her la dona.....funny this thread popped up today!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bob

Sep 19, 2005
m65swede said:
Simple: Hold down the Alt key, then type 164, then release the Alt key. The ? will appear as if by magic. The capital ? is Alt + 165.

Swede

doesnt seem to work on my keyboard.. I just keep hearing a loud bell

no its not because i was drinking all night either

bob

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
laurapasinifan said:

bob

If you have a laptop that could be the reason. You need the number pad on a regular keyboard Bob.

May 12, 2005
laurapasinifan said:

bob

Hey, it actually works. I guess you do learn something new each day. I could never figure out how to get the tilde over the n with my american keyboard.

Frank the Tank
slow learner

Sep 19, 2005
well I have a desk top computer... and when I hold down the ALT key and type 164 on either set of numbers... as soon as I hit the "4" the screen reverts back to the original thread and i am suddenly out of the reply screen!!!!!!!!!!!!! did it maybe 20 times so far.

happens weather I type ladona or not

so, I dont know what gives... I have a compaq computer with mellinium

mellinium, has been a weird OS..so maybe thats the difference

bob

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I've heard my wife be adressed as " Do?a Yris" hundreds of times, yet her mother is never adressed that way....so I would say it has to do with position, respect more than age. The old rich people that paid for Yris's schooling are always refered to as Don Feidyo and Do?a Lilia by everyone in Jarabacoa.

Status
Not open for further replies.