Do Dominicans care about American politics?

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Keep in mind that a culture as macho as DR, this isn't a surprising sentiment. Hillary should be taking care of the kids like a good abuela; let the men run things.

That's worked out well in DR, hasn't it?

it is not a matter of sheer happenstance that the DR has never had a female head of state. as a matter of fact, not many Spanish speaking countries have had them...

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I can count several off the top of my head:
Violeta Chamorro of Nicaragua
Laura Chinchilla of Costa Rica
Mireya Moscoso of Panama
Isabel Per?n and Cristina Fern?ndez of Argentina
Michelle Bachelet of Chile

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Mireya Moscoso of Panama

come on, Chiri..that list ain?t that long. that is not even one per country...in history.

Sep 4, 2012
Keep in mind that a culture as macho as DR, this isn't a surprising sentiment. Hillary should be taking care of the kids like a good abuela; let the men run things.

That's worked out well in DR, hasn't it?
Shezzz, it has worked well in the states too.

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
I am specifically not reading any of the previous posts. I am American. Sorry.

If Dominicans have ties to the US, yes, they care about US politics. If they don't, they don't.

It's different for ex-pats, because we are supposed to be citizens of the world. Or at least, I think so. I care a lot about world politics. I read two newspapers a day. But that's just how I was raised. And because it matters to me to understand WTF is going on.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
come on, Chiri..that list ain?t that long. that is not even one per country...in history.
And most are/were part of political dynasties, but that little detail aside, compared to all the other continents it's a respectable number.

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
And it hurts me to admit, but I bare myself here, that my favorite brother-in-law is going to vote for Trump. We agreed at the beginning of the campaign cycle that we would simply not discuss. It's the only way. I adore my B-I-L. So we can agree to disagree.

For me, the more important issue is being aware of more global, and specifically Latin/South American issues. If one lives here.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
And most are/were part of political dynasties, but that little detail aside, compared to all the other continents it's a respectable number.

i have to concede that you are right, which is ironic, given the Latin reputation for machismo..

KyleMackey

Bronze
Apr 20, 2015
Mireya Moscoso of Panama

Dilma Rousseff, Brazil. Impeached, lol.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I had her on my list at first, but took her off when I saw Gorgon had said "Spanish-speaking countries". :)

the gorgon said:
it is not a matter of sheer happenstance that the DR has never had a female head of state. as a matter of fact, not many Spanish speaking countries have had them...