do i need a dominican driving license

Smart

Bronze
Jun 16, 2012
It is so easy - and cheap- to get a Dominican License (if you have a full residency) that it's just plain stupid not to do it. It's a two stage process, a very easy theory exam in front of a computer screen, multiple choice and in Spanish of course, but you would need to be pretty stupid to fail it followed by a simple eye test and blood test, then a wait of between 45 days and one year before you convert your provisional license to a full one. you are supposed to do 2 hours of lectures on road safety before you take the test, but I couldn't tell you what this was like as when I went to do it the video projector was bust and or there was a power cut so they just didn't do it. Just renewed mine again, a very simple process. Licenses last for 4 years and allow you to drive in most countries of the world, albeit only for 6 months in the UK after which you will need to apply for a UK license if you haven't already got one. Assumong you get the correct insurance I think it could be a good getout for some moving traffic offences in the UK if you presented the cops with a foriegn license, but don't quote me on that [please]

So there is a difference, for full residency, provisional residency. Tell me some specifics.
What is the difference for provisional and full.
How long is the wait from application for test to actual test.
Do you get the license in your hand after the test.
If not a covering letter or equal.
What are the costs.
Where to go in SD.

May seem like I'm being lazy, but I'd like to hear from someone who's recently been through it as much info as possible, for obvious reasons.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
You have to do the eye and blood test before you do the theory exam (I did that all in one morning). After you pass the theory you get the provisional license which is valid for one year. You have to wait a minimum of 45 days before you can take the practical exam for the permanent license. (I go for the permanent tomorrow :)).

I paid around 8,000 pesos for all. I am in Bavaro and had to go to La Romana for it.

Dunno where to go in SDQ though but I assume getting in touch with a "Escuela de Choferes".

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
What you think it cost? 50 Pesos?

Afik it is btwn 4,500 and 6,500 allover. Here in Bavaro it cost a little more.

"...no one would have licenses."

I doubt that many of the Dominican drivers do own licenses but for us foreigners it is a different story if the s**t hits the fan.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
The thing is nobody is a law abbiding citizen here. My wife has always driven here bought 2 cars and insurances every year and she has never had a license. I ve stopped full coverage insurance and changed to the minimum 2 years ago ( just to be legal). Did it myself no questions asked, no warninfs nothing.got insurance for motorbike, the cheap obligatory type, no one said everything to me.
Ive deceide since last year to drive as little as possible and keep fingers crossed, since I was at migration zona norte in santiago and they told me it was better if my wife did the driving even wizhout license (!!!!!), since once ure visa expires u cant drive.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
And then there are Dominicans like Mr. AE who haven't had a Dominican driver's license since the 70s. I presume he's okay with a US license because he's not a tourist, but who knows. This trip, since we'll finally have our own car there, he's going to take his 40 year old expired DR license to Santo Domingo and try to renew it. After they all fall off their chairs laughing their butts off at the old photo, we'll find out what he has to do.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
if your from almost anywhere but the US, your embassy will validate the license and you trade it for a DR license when you have a cedula. US consulate will not validate as the license is state issued. Place is Santo Domingo is up past the Baseball stadium. This is not a new law an no different from most countries, or in the US state to state, you normally have 90 days to get your new license and vehicle registration.

Smart

Bronze
Jun 16, 2012
if your from almost anywhere but the US, your embassy will validate the license and you trade it for a DR license when you have a cedula. US consulate will not validate as the license is state issued. Place is Santo Domingo is up past the Baseball stadium. This is not a new law an no different from most countries, or in the US state to state, you normally have 90 days to get your new license and vehicle registration.
So if an just go to my embassy and exchange my license for free?

Smart

Bronze
Jun 16, 2012
The thing is nobody is a law abbiding citizen here.

I'd like to be, but I'm never sure if I'm breaking a law or not. I just got insurance RD1800 for the year, decided I could afford that, lol.

Insurance wise I just figured I would never stop if I did have an accident, and my little zoomzoom can go anywhere in the city so what's the point. Pretty reckless anywhere else in the world, but a basic step of the Highway Code here. Accident? Leave the area as fast as possible.

Aug 6, 2006
I tend to doubt that every motoconcho driver has a drivers license if they cost RD$8000. I imagine that there are some who have never seen that much money in their hands before.

hughatthepub

Mar 13, 2007
What you think it cost? 50 Pesos?

Afik it is btwn 4,500 and 6,500 allover. Here in Bavaro it cost a little more.

"...no one would have licenses."

I doubt that many of the Dominican drivers do own licenses but for us foreigners it is a different story if the s**t hits the fan.

Cost for me (4 years ago) for the whole process, theory test, medicals etc and including going back for the second test to obtain my full license was about RD$ 2700. Cost to renew it for another 4 years was RD$ 830 plus RD$ 10 for the photocopy guy and another RD$ 100 for "Ajuda" with the eye-test man (I told him I didn't need any Ajuda, he just smiled and said "RD$100 para ajuda" over and over until i gave in out of boredom