Do-it-Yourself Temporary Residency Renewal Procedure

jinty05

Bronze
Feb 11, 2005
I would also welcome an explanation of the difference between "Rentista" and "Residencia Inversion"

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
as a guess,
the Rentista tables leases and rental income for a period of time - history.
Keyed to property leases.

Inversion is more attached to pension type income, as I hear it.
You verify your monthly / annual income.- keyed to retirement income.

Anybody can correct me here !!

I ask b/c my friend will qualify as a rentista by my definition...
he is beginning to worry about driving after the 30/60 day limit.
He frequently stays for months and rents when he needs a car

Jan 17, 2009
Rentista and Inversion type must be different, as there is a different payment schedule for it.

I would assume that "rentista" is for pensioners, while Inversion is as the name says for people making investments in the island (and not a house, investments for business purposes).

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
I did a little search and found the difference clearly explained on the Guzm?n Ariza website. http://drlawyer.com/espanol/como-obtener-permiso-de-residencia-en-republica-dominicana/

Sin embargo, es posible solicitar inmediatamente la residencia permanente sin antes haber obtenido la residencia temporal si Ud. cumple los requisitos establecidos para una de las siguientes cuatro categor?as especiales:

1) Inversionistas con una participaci?n de al menos US$200,000 en el capital de una empresa dominicana.

2) Jubilados que reciban una pensi?n mensual de un m?nimo de US$1,500.

3) Rentistas con rentas m?nimas de US$2,000 mensuales por cinco a?os o m?s.

4) C?nyuges o hijos de dominicanos o extranjeros con residencia permanente en la Rep?blica Dominicana.

Roughly translated:

It is possible to solicit permanent residency immediately without having obtained temporary residency if you can meet the requirements for one of the four established special categories.

1. Investor residency for those who have a participation of at least $200,000 US of capital in a Dominican enterprise.

2. Retirees who receive a monthly pension of a minimum of $1,500 US.

3. Landlords who have rental income of a minimum of $2,000 US monthly for five years or more.

4. Spouses or children of Dominicans or foreigners with permanent residency in the Dominican Republic.
Hope that makes things clear.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Gringo is an Inversione..... no investment

Rentista is an application supported by property rental income.... special category

peep2

Bronze
Oct 24, 2004
My experience so far....
Started out by going to the office on Ave Luperon, near that big traffic circle, where I got my cedula renewed a while back. There I was told I was in the wrong place and had to go to immigration on the malecon. When I walked in one of the guards put me in touch with a buscone (sp?) to whom I paid 4000 peso. After a short wait she came back with some papers and sent them with me to the maternity hospital across town. There I did the medical. Chest xray, pi** in a jar, quick blood draw and a few general medical history questions. Took receipts back to immigration where I gave them (along with another 5000 peso) to the buscone. A few minutes later she came back and told me to come back to immigration in 10 days to two weeks with 300 U$ dollars and pick up my new card. I assume there will be some waiting around while pictures are taken and cards are produced. This will be my third residency card (second renewal). I'm told it will be "permanent" for four years.
So now to throw out a question. Since the new residency card will have the same number and expiration date as a new cedula will have, and since I can't vote anyway, is there any need to, or indeed, any requirement to acquire a new cedula ?

AAIS

Feb 24, 2016
www.abreuimmigration.com
Yes. The cedula is required by all legal residents in the Dominican Republic. It is requested by many establishment to complete various processes (i.e. banks, government offices, etc.)

TravelHippo

Mar 24, 2008
My experience so far....
Started out by going to the office on Ave Luperon, near that big traffic circle, where I got my cedula renewed a while back. There I was told I was in the wrong place and had to go to immigration on the malecon. When I walked in one of the guards put me in touch with a buscone (sp?) to whom I paid 4000 peso. After a short wait she came back with some papers and sent them with me to the maternity hospital across town. There I did the medical. Chest xray, pi** in a jar, quick blood draw and a few general medical history questions. Took receipts back to immigration where I gave them (along with another 5000 peso) to the buscone. A few minutes later she came back and told me to come back to immigration in 10 days to two weeks with 300 U$ dollars and pick up my new card. I assume there will be some waiting around while pictures are taken and cards are produced. This will be my third residency card (second renewal). I'm told it will be "permanent" for four years.
So now to throw out a question. Since the new residency card will have the same number and expiration date as a new cedula will have, and since I can't vote anyway, is there any need to, or indeed, any requirement to acquire a new cedula ?

I thought I had found the answer to my question earlier in this thread but now your post has confused me. How many renewals of temporary residency are needed before applying for permanent? Earlier someone said it is 4 renewals after the original temporary residency is received. You say here that this is only your second renewal and you are getting permanent??? This would be my 4th renewal of temporary. Should I be getting permanent now or one final renewal of temp.??

TravelHippo

Mar 24, 2008
Actually I got my own part of that wrong.. oops... this will be my 3rd renewal... but reading more now and seeing what the pro, Expat-in-cab wrote earlier on, I am almost positive it is 5 years (4 renewals) with temp before permanent, correct? This is actually good news as I was not prepared for the more complicated process yet (esp as Expat-in-Cab says they will be posting about this in June/July 2016 to help us out.. yay! So helpful!) and I find the temp renewal a breeze now, so thankfully I'll just be doing that again this year, on our own.

peep2

Bronze
Oct 24, 2004
I look at it as my residency being permanent with a card that needs to be renewed every few years. Just like my wife is a permanent resident of the U.S. but needs to renew her green card every 10 years or so. Basically we're on probation in each others country until we get around to becoming citizens. The problem there is that neither of us wants to spend the prolonged stretch of time required in each others country to make the initial application.

XTraveller

Aug 21, 2010
UP Date on Temporary Residency Renewal

Went on March 16, 2016 to renew my Temporary Residence (residencia Temporal). Arriving at migration at around 8:00 am the reception area was full and there was a line up outside. Good news it was a line up for the passport office. The person at the reception checked my papers and sent me to window 5.
At window 5 the person explain that my letter of solvency from bank Popular was incomplete and need a statement from the bank for the movements in my account for the last 6 months. He told me I can go to a close by Bank Popular. So off for a short taxi ride to Bank Popular(150 pesos). This was my fault because after the fact I check on the web site and it is specified for this. At this bank Popular everything went fast they knew exactly what I needed, I was not the first there for this.

Returning to migration around 9:00 am at reception area (now even a bigger crowd for passport) the security guard let me in the migration area. Pick up the application form and ticket (my number).
Filled out the application form now in 3 copies and submit at window 8 when my number was posted on the monitor (short wait), took my finger prints and all Documents. Later my number was posted for window 3 where they give you copy of your papers and ask if you want today service (VIP service), write the code on you papers and off to pay at the counter of Bank Reservas. Paid 5000 pesos for renewing + 1000 pesos VIP Total: 6000pesos. Return copy of papers and receipt from Banreservas at window 2.
Next pick up ID at counter near the stairs to enter center part and take picture and fingers prints for card. Then they call you by name at window 12 to pick up your new card and sign the foreigner book.

This was my third self- renewal and over all efficient and quick. In at 8:30 am and out at 10:45 am. A bit difficult to understand the people thru the glass with all the back ground noise, but they did add microphones this year, especially if Spanish is not your first language.

Then a taxi ride (200 pesos after negotiating) to the JCE (Junta por Extranjeros) , 2nd floor to renew cedula. Here very quick ? hour in and out.

Papers Required to Renew: Residencia Temporal , Same as post 1 from expat ( be careful with letter of solvency, see this post) Plus 3 copies of all.
Cost: Renewal 5000 pesos, VIP 1000 pesos, cedula renewal 3000 pesos Total cost: 9000 pesos

Getting easier every year thanks Expat- in- Cabarete, waiting on your experience for Permeant Residency

XTraveller

Last edited:

LicelotteM

Sep 8, 2014
How many times does a new resident need to renew temporary residency before they get permanent residency?

Permanent residency should have a different name since anything that needs to be renewed is not permanent.

Dear windeguy:
A temporary resident must complete 5 years before he is eligible for permanent residency. This means 4 renewals.

Regards,

harry myrtle beach

Sep 16, 2015
update on my application for citizenship. They told me to call 3 months after my interview which I did. Of course no one ever answers the phone over there. Since we live just 10 minutes walk from the office we went there in person. We were directed to the lady that handles the documents. She has all my paper work back from Interpol and now just has to have the documents signed by the various officials. She said this could take 2 months to be completed. She showed me all my documents so I at least know where they are in the process. Will update again in 2 months.

So they told me all documents are completed and to keep checking back to see when the ceremonia will be so I can get my permanent cedula. I explained to them my temp cedula expires in March and my plans are to travel to USA for the summer. They told me that would be ok but I would need a letter from Minister of interior to avoid paying exit fees. I applied for that and it took 3 weeks but no cost. I get to airport with letter in hand and of course they say that will not do. I was sent to the immigration office and explained the situation to the lady there. She pass it on to another lady who said I will have to pay 2500rd because my cedula expired. Of course I said no way. She then took my passport and the letter and went into a back office. When she came back her explanation was that I needed a letter from immigration not interior and to there and get one. I told her that was crazy because my flight is in 2 hours. So i just stayed at the immigration office and after about 10 minutes of saying no pago no pago they got tired of me and let me go without paying. I am sure it will be as screwed up when I return in September. may be I will just get the 10 dollar tourist card to avoid the hassle.

Jan 17, 2009
I need a huge favor from someone going to Immigration soon. I'm getting ready to apply to go from Temporary Resident to Permanent Resident. As I said in previous posts, I will be opening a new thread with the procedure once I file it and can give your more details.

I have two questions for which I need an answer and can't make it to Santo Domingo any time soon.

1. The instructions I got 10 months ago for Temporary to Permanent say that we need to file 45 days BEFORE the 5 years from your first temporary was issued (that's fishy in my case since I got it mid September, but later renewed a month earlier). Anyway, question is: can we apply earlier than those 45 days and how much easier?

2. Once we apply, how long does it take for medical plus renewal? I'm doubting because of the 45 days mentioned.

Is anyone going to Immigration next week or so that could ask these questions for me and save me the long trip to Santo Domingo? Many thanks

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Ex,
can you enlist the help of a Spanish speaking friend to phone for you ??

I do that all the time to make appts, find directions, etc.

Buy them a beer for the favor or whatever

It's hard for me on the phone so i have my main man call and then he slowly explains it to me

Jan 17, 2009
Spanish is my native tongue. No problem in calling. Do you have a phone number?

Yet, I don't know how much I'd trust a phone operator. I'm probably one of the first to go from temp to permanent. But I'll definitely call, a few times just in case, if I can get a number/

Ex,
can you enlist the help of a Spanish speaking friend to phone for you ??

I do that all the time to make appts, find directions, etc.

Buy them a beer for the favor or whatever

It's hard for me on the phone so i have my main man call and then he slowly explains it to me

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Spanish is my native tongue. No problem in calling. Do you have a phone number?

Yet, I don't know how much I'd trust a phone operator. I'm probably one of the first to go from temp to permanent. But I'll definitely call, a few times just in case, if I can get a number/

http://www.migracion.gob.do/sitev1/

Scroll down to the very bottom of the DGM page as link to find telephone number.

Also click on 'Servicios' then 'Solicitudes de Residencia' then 'Leer Mas' in 'Residencia Permanente', then read highlighted text at top of the page to answer one of your questions....then down to folder 2.

For Permanent Residency renewals, the medical results of the medical you take on you first visit have to be provided in ten days (it happens).........see 'Servicios' - 'Renovaciones de Residencia, 'Leer Mas' 'Renovaciones de Residencia Permanente'

Jan 17, 2009
Thanks, I got those documents from them last year. I just need confirmation if I can do it ahead of time, or I have to be close to the 45 days.

I'm aware of the 10 days for the medical (as my husband has permanent for years now). Thing is how much longer it takes after I get the results of my medical done. It must take a while; otherwise they wouldn't ask for 45 days prior to expiration.

And of course now there's the insurance issue which is clear permanent resident don't pay, but temporary residency holders do; yet going from temp to permanent no one can tell me if it's needed. Let's hope not, because it's quite expensive already added to the past five year renewals).

Do you happen to know a phone number to call and ask my questions?

http://www.migracion.gob.do/sitev1/

Scroll down to the very bottom of the DGM page as link to find telephone number.

Also click on 'Servicios' then 'Solicitudes de Residencia' then 'Leer Mas' in 'Residencia Permanente', then read highlighted text at top of the page to answer one of your questions....then down to folder 2.

For Permanent Residency renewals, the medical results of the medical you take on you first visit have to be provided in ten days (it happens).........see 'Servicios' - 'Renovaciones de Residencia, 'Leer Mas' 'Renovaciones de Residencia Permanente'

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Do you happen to know a phone number to call and ask my questions?

Direcci?n General de Migraci?n
Contactos
Avenida 30 de Mayo, Esquina H?roes De Luperon, Santo Domingo Rep?blica Dominicana.
T: 809.508.2555
info@migracion.gob.do

Please read post #52 of the Legal thread on Insurance Policy requirement and the last paragraph which makes the requirement for you very clear.

I know you will not want to hear this, but as you have posted before, you will be one of the first applying for permanent residency from temporary residency after the rule changes at the end of 2011 (and now the insurance issue). And having a lawyer may prove advantageous in this instance to avoid protracted document and procedure issues.

Last edited: