Do-it-Yourself Temporary Residency Renewal Procedure

mayhem

Jan 14, 2019
Hey just a quick question,
I did the renewal process online & they approved it and provided me a cover letter to print and bring in with my documents, but there's no mention of how many copies they need?

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Hey just a quick question,
I did the renewal process online & they approved it and provided me a cover letter to print and bring in with my documents, but there's no mention of how many copies they need?

As is written a few posts before this, this is an old thread that should be closed because things have changed. If you go back to the immigration website, somewhere it tells you how many copies. If you can't find it, just take a few copies to be safe.

mayhem

Jan 14, 2019
As is written a few posts before this, this is an old thread that should be closed because things have changed. If you go back to the immigration website, somewhere it tells you how many copies. If you can't find it, just take a few copies to be safe.

yes it says absolutely nothing about copies or cost. They just gave me a cover letter with my name and says which window to go to.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Not surprising, but it looks like there's a new requirement for renewal. As recently as a month or so ago, I didn't see that there(?):

8.2. EN CASO DE QUE EL SOLICITANTE SEA JUBILADO O PENSIONADO, ADEMÁS DE LA PÓLIZA DE GARANTÍA, DEBERÁ ENTREGAR UNA CERTIFICACIÓN BANCARIA DONDE INDIQUE EL MONTO QUE RECIBE DEL GOBIERNO, ORGANISMO OFICIAL O EMPRESA PRIVADA DE ORIGEN EXTRANJERO DONDE PRESTABA SUS SERVICIOS, DEBIDAMENTE TRADUCIDA AL ESPAÑOL POR UN INTÉRPRETE JUDICIAL. DICHA CERTIFICACIÓN DEBERÁ CONTENER LOS DATOS GENERALES DEL SOLICITANTE, ESPECIALMENTE SU NÚMERO DE PASAPORTE Y DE DOCUMENTO NACIONAL DE IDENTIDAD DEL PAÍS DE ORIGEN, TIEMPO QUE PERMANECIÓ EN LA EMPRESA, CARGO DESEMPEÑADO Y EL MONTO PERCIBIDO COMO PENSIÓN O JUBILACIÓN, DE LA CUAL DISPONDRÁ PARA SU MANUTENCIÓN EN LA REPUBLICA DOMINICANA.

Has anybody provided this info yet? My bank statement in the US shows my SSA deposit, but not sure what kind of "certification" I can get and the statement sure doesn't have any of the info they seem to be asking for. The bank definitely doesn't have my passport info. More confusion from DGM.

https://www.migracion.gob.do/Menu/SubList/30

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
That sounds a lot like the documentation required to initially apply for residency as a retired person receiving a pension.

Also it is the certification of the documents that require the passport number (national ID) to be affixed, not the bank statements or the pension statement themselves, at least as I interpret what was written.

The only value this pension deposit documentation request has is in confirming that regular monthly deposits have been made into your foreign bank account in the past, that your former employer certifies that these payments are an ongoing pension allotment for XX number of years of service and that the amount of the monthly deposits will not decrease over time.

I cannot see this being an ongoing submission requirement for pension residency renewals. The burden to provide such a document is unworkable for anyone who lives in the DR full time.

Now remember, there were and still are numerous and distinct residency categories that someone can apply under, temporary and permanent, investor, rental income, pensioner and probably others. I wouldn't be surprised if this documentation requirement, if it appears on the website as being applicable to the renewal of residency, is a mistake and should in fact be in the section pertaining to initial residency applications based on pension income alone.

Then again this is the DR and maybe "they" have decided it is time for all pensioners to go live somewhere else. I suspect if we wait some period of time, this will disappear just as it magically appeared.

Dr_Taylor

Oct 18, 2017
Not surprising, but it looks like there's a new requirement for renewal. As recently as a month or so ago, I didn't see that there(?):

8.2. EN CASO DE QUE EL SOLICITANTE SEA JUBILADO O PENSIONADO, ADEMÁS DE LA PÓLIZA DE GARANTÍA, DEBERÁ ENTREGAR UNA CERTIFICACIÓN BANCARIA DONDE INDIQUE EL MONTO QUE RECIBE DEL GOBIERNO, ORGANISMO OFICIAL O EMPRESA PRIVADA DE ORIGEN EXTRANJERO DONDE PRESTABA SUS SERVICIOS, DEBIDAMENTE TRADUCIDA AL ESPAÑOL POR UN INTÉRPRETE JUDICIAL. DICHA CERTIFICACIÓN DEBERÁ CONTENER LOS DATOS GENERALES DEL SOLICITANTE, ESPECIALMENTE SU NÚMERO DE PASAPORTE Y DE DOCUMENTO NACIONAL DE IDENTIDAD DEL PAÍS DE ORIGEN, TIEMPO QUE PERMANECIÓ EN LA EMPRESA, CARGO DESEMPEÑADO Y EL MONTO PERCIBIDO COMO PENSIÓN O JUBILACIÓN, DE LA CUAL DISPONDRÁ PARA SU MANUTENCIÓN EN LA REPUBLICA DOMINICANA.

Has anybody provided this info yet? My bank statement in the US shows my SSA deposit, but not sure what kind of "certification" I can get and the statement sure doesn't have any of the info they seem to be asking for. The bank definitely doesn't have my passport info. More confusion from DGM.

https://www.migracion.gob.do/Menu/SubList/30
During the last renewal, counsel obtained a statement from my DR bank which indicated that funds enter and leave the DR account every month. It satisfied DGM. Counsel explained that such satisfied DR law to the DGM official. This is ANOTHER reason why I employ capable counsel. Additionally, counsel obtained a statement from the DR bank that gave the entire amount of funds in the USD denominated DR bank account. The aforementioned DGM official asked for this too, although such was not listed in the requirement notice. It was a mere inconvenience, as it was necessary to return to the DR bank to get the statement. It only took 15 minutes or so, and, of course, counsel handled the matter. This is why I use Guzman Ariza. This would have annoyed me if I did it myself, and I would not have been able to explain how what we gave satisfied DR law.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
During the last renewal, counsel obtained a statement from my DR bank which indicated that funds enter and leave the DR account every month. It satisfied DGM. Counsel explained that such satisfied DR law to the DGM official. This is ANOTHER reason why I employ capable counsel. Additionally, counsel obtained a statement from the DR bank that gave the entire amount of funds in the USD denominated DR bank account. The aforementioned DGM official asked for this too, although such was not listed in the requirement notice. It was a mere inconvenience, as it was necessary to return to the DR bank to get the statement. It only took 15 minutes or so, and, of course, counsel handled the matter. This is why I use Guzman Ariza. This would have annoyed me if I did it myself, and I would not have been able to explain how what we gave satisfied DR law.

When did you do your last renewal?

Dr_Taylor

Oct 18, 2017
Ok, thanks. It doesn't seem to make any sense to have to report social security or a pension every renewal, but it is what it is. Typical DGM. You're the first to have reported this change.
cavok, you know as well as I and many others on this board that the situation that I encountered may simply be (1) a one-time event, (2) a new philosophy, or (3) the exercise of discretionary authority by one, particular DGM official. In any case, as I know that you know, one must be ready to comply immediately so as to continue toward the ultimate goal: Get the renewal or citizenship done.

Astucia

Papa de Negrita
Oct 19, 2013
Application Letter

Item # 4 of the online "Application for Renewal of Temporary Residence" shows Carta de Solicitud (Application Letter ) as being required to upload. Is there any specific format or data required ? Has anyone done this ?

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
cavok, you know as well as I and many others on this board that the situation that I encountered may simply be (1) a one-time event, (2) a new philosophy, or (3) the exercise of discretionary authority by one, particular DGM official. In any case, as I know that you know, one must be ready to comply immediately so as to continue toward the ultimate goal: Get the renewal or citizenship done.

Was yours a temporary residency renewal? I just deposited my documents at DGM in Puerto Plata and no bank information was required(?).

Dr_Taylor

Oct 18, 2017
Was yours a temporary residency renewal? I just deposited my documents at DGM in Puerto Plata and no bank information was required(?).
I encountered the most issues--and they really were not that bad--when I went from temporary to permanent residency. Now, I utilize Guzman Ariza, and the firm really helped me to understand the process and what to expect.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
New Changes To Temp Residency Renewal

After receiving the "Hoja del Envio" as before, you now have to wait for an email from DGM that says to depoist the originals and then check on the DGM site for a "factura" and notification to pay. This took about 4 days for me. Only then should you go to DGM to deposit your documents along with a copy of the factura.

A couple posters have asked about "copies". You only need copies of your passport, residency card, and cedula(both sides) - three copies of each.

When you deposit your documents you are now given a specific date to appear at DGM to get finger prints, photos, and pick up your residency card. If you go after the date specified, you will be charged and extra 1000 pesos.

robbie

Bronze
Aug 3, 2006
What if you are under 30 days late starting the temporary renewal process? This is the 2nd time renewing.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
What if you are under 30 days late starting the temporary renewal process? This is the 2nd time renewing.

You can't start until 30 days before your expiration date. The longer you wait to start, the higher the chances are you are not going to get a date before expiration and you'll have to pay a 500 peso late fee.

robbie

Bronze
Aug 3, 2006
You can't start until 30 days before your expiration date. The longer you wait to start, the higher the chances are you are not going to get a date before expiration and you'll have to pay a 500 peso late fee.

If a late fee is all there is thats fine, we cant start till approx 3-4 weeks after expiration, we will be away and can’t get back on time

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Item # 4 of the online "Application for Renewal of Temporary Residence" shows Carta de Solicitud (Application Letter ) as being required to upload. Is there any specific format or data required ? Has anyone done this ?

You just need a short letter in Spanish to the Director de Migracion requesting the renewal of your residency. State your residency type, number of renewal(2nd, 3rd, 4th), nationality, residency card number, and passport number, what city here you are a resident of, and date of expiration - not necessarily in that order.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
If a late fee is all there is thats fine, we cant start till approx 3-4 weeks after expiration, we will be away and can’t get back on time

That's no problem. Late fee for a temporary residency, retiree with pension status, is 500 pesos/mo late. Today anyway. Who knows about tomorrow when it comes to DGM.