Do-it-Yourself Temporary Residency Renewal Procedure

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
Today I renewed for the fist time my temporary residency. Thanks for all the details, had all paperwork in order and the entire process took 2 hours from start to finish.

Yes they're taking pictures upstairs b/c they're remodeling the downstairs so no visitor pass was necessary. In the past I have used my driver's license so my cedular and residency are with me.

Went to get cedular renewal, this week they are only doing Dominican renewals; next week all others. I won't be here next week and I don't want two different expiration dates requiring 2 different trips so I will let it expire and when I renew residency next year I'll do the cedula.

Oh, I might mention that I had help and we took the 3:30 bus from Charamico so we were there when they opened. no lines, and smooth processing. One hour for paperwork, 15 minutes for photo, maybe 10 for card. 4000 pesos later, done

takisha604

Jan 27, 2012
I would like more information about a guarantee policy. I called an agent today. They had never heard of it. They want me to go to immigration tomorrow to get more details about the guarantee policy to make sure they sell me the right one. Do you have experience using a policy to prove economic solvency?

Feb 7, 2007
There are no guarantee policies available.

For residency renewal you prove your solvency by:
- bank account with RD$100,000 or more, or equivalent in USD
- car title (matricula) in your name, car no older than 5 years
- property title (titulo de propiedad) in your name

For initial residency process you need a guarantor, who needs to guarantee to repay your repatriation costs. His solvency can be proven by (see above). Also a company can be guarantor, in such case you need (besides a statement of guarantee) copy of registro mercantil, copy of your last tax filing, Certificacion de DGII (obtained via Oficina Virtual), copy of last shareholder meeting (asamblea) and proof of solvency (e.g. bank account in company's name with more than RD$100,000)

Jan 17, 2009
Actually, the Immigration form describes "guarantee policy". In Spanish, this reads: "p?liza de garant?a contratada por una compa??a si fuese necesario" I never heard of one. Maybe you want to stop by immigration and ask them which companies issues these policies.

T

tiko59

I just found this website.. I lost my temporal cedula in a house fire in 2010... I have a photo copy of the front only..It expired in 2009 what do I do now ? start over again ? Is this a costly problem? If I read correctly the fine is 300 pesos a month per month late.. Thats about 20,000 pesos or more.. HELP !! Can someone answer me..This is my first post..

pularvik

Jan 2, 2011
Am bumping this hoping someone picks up on it and answers you. I can only suggest you pay for a lawyer visit and get the real scoop. Also you can go to migration in SD and wave your photocopy and those very helpful (NOT) people will tell you what you need to do.
If you had been renewing every year like you should have been it would be costing you 4000 per year, so you might just have to suck up the 20,000--------
The way things are going here I try to encourage every one to make there status legal. I can tell you that in Canada or the USA if you are caught with expired papers you would be on the next plane out!

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I just found this website.. I lost my temporal cedula in a house fire in 2010... I have a photo copy of the front only..It expired in 2009 what do I do now ? start over again ? Is this a costly problem? If I read correctly the fine is 300 pesos a month per month late.. Thats about 20,000 pesos or more.. HELP !! Can someone answer me..This is my first post..

the first thing you need to do is to report it lost.

as far as I know, any replacement process starts with the police loss report.

Expiry penalties ? Why not? It's expired , correct?
you may find a sympathetic ear but.............. you may not

T

tiko59

Thank You........ I did go to the Dominican Consulate in New York City and reported it to them and they told me I need to report it missing as you said in SD... When I originally got it I had a Domoinican GF there and her sister was a lawyer and helped me get it.. I am no longer seeing this girl therefore Im on my own now..I wish to retire there in a few years and figured Im going to need this cedula if thats what you call it.. or are there 2 ? a residency and a cedula ? the copy I have has has 11 numbers..example..000-0000000-0.. Is this the temporary residency card ? or is this a temporary cedula? or are they both the same thing..its the only thing I had made a copy of and was in my car glovebox by some strange luck that day..

Feb 7, 2007
Your residencia number and your cedula number are the same. But they are two different cards.

Residencia (temporary)
residency-temporal.jpg

Residencia (permanent)
residency.jpg

Cedula (old style)
factura+de+lacto.jpg

Cedula (new style)
BlyQ7gvCYAAH_CO.jpg

T

tiko59

Yes .... thanks for setting me strait with that.. OK I only have a photo copy of the old style Cedula..everything else was destroyed. So I can assume I have a bit of an issue here.. I didnt do anything about it sooner because I didnt know if I was ever going to need it again after the break up with my GF from San Cristobal..

Tonydomrep

Feb 22, 2009
So for renewal permanent residency:

1. i go there, bring the documents they ask for, do the medical examen.
2. after 5-10 days this test is ready
3. then, when this test is ready i need to go back. They let me know or what?
4. then i return with the other documents and at that same day i receive my new residencia?

is this correct?

After that, on same day, i pass by the office for cedula and that goes all the same day?

Jan 17, 2009
It is correct, only that it takes 10 days for your test results. Yes, you can get your new cedula the same day after you have your new residency card.

Jan 17, 2009
I'm pretty sure that I was told it's valid for 30 days for immigration purposes. I ordered it right before I had to go on a three-week trip, and remember asking about it and rushing to Immigration once I returned, so that it wouldn't be expired. I don't believe there is an expiration date on it, but expired in the sense of being valid for this purpose.

Feb 7, 2007
If you are talking about the DR record, it is valid for 30 days only. If a foreign record (for new residency request deposited in migracion) it is valid for 1 year.

Jan 17, 2009
Foreign criminal records wouldn't be applicable when renewing a temporary residency.

No, it doesn't take 10 days to get it, at least, not in Puerto Plata. It was just a two-hour wait.