DO NO EAT tHE LAMBI

May 29, 2006
Can the lion fish be poisonous to the consumer, the eater, if the spines are not removed properly? Are the spines venomous to the diver .. once the fish is dead? To a kitchen crew? I saw them on a menu and wanted to do my part by ordering it but was still a bit scared.

No, they are venomous, not poisonous. Just like you can eat rattlesnake without any harm. The spines can still cause injury after the fish is dead. Once they are clipped, the fish is completely safe to eat.

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
lambi for tourist trade

As a matter of fact, lamb? is widely used as filler in tourist trade dishes like seafood pizza, seafood salad, stuffed seafood of any kind, pasta al marisco, really anything with the word "marisco" in its name. Sophisticated restaurateurs know it is a much lower cost alternative to crab, shrimp, and especially lobster/crayfish.

This may be a first, Haitians now getting blame for decimating the conch population. :)

I doubt that lambi is on the top culinary list of summer visitors.
This info should be passed on to our Haitian brothers and sisters.

Last edited:
May 5, 2007
Never got into Conch, maybe I always had it improperly prepared but was too chewy and not a lot of taste Really reminded me of squid

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
As a matter of fact, lamb? is widely used as filler in tourist trade dishes like seafood pizza, seafood salad, stuffed seafood of any kind, pasta al marisco, really anything with the word "marisco" in its name. Sophisticated restaurateurs know it is a much lower cost alternative to crab, shrimp, and especially lobster/crayfish.

This may be a first, Haitians now getting blame for decimating the conch population. :)

You're right about it being less expensive seafood in DR. No so in the US - here in southern New Jersey they want about $10 a pound for lambi/conch. Sorry, I'll buy big shrimp first.

May 29, 2006

Not to me. There are many fishing boats that use Haitian crews to poach both conch and lobster. They make next to nothing and if the boat is caught, it's not like their employer is going to bail them out.

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012
Does anyone know if the DR exports conch meat?

All the conch I see in S. FL is from the Bahamas. Don't eat that stuff, cause it looks like someone has been wearing it on their soles. I get mine fresh from my roomate, who works in Inagua, Bimini, and Great Exuma. Prefer it fried. You need to pound it with a mallet until it's paper thin, flour it up, then drop it in hot grease. Two minutes later, you got yourself some good eats. I also stew it the Bahamian way, but that takes a lot of time and effort.

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012
Can the lion fish be poisonous to the consumer, the eater, if the spines are not removed properly? Are the spines venomous to the diver .. once the fish is dead? To a kitchen crew? I saw them on a menu and wanted to do my part by ordering it but was still a bit scared.

It's really pretty tasty; akin to snapper. It is slowly becoming available in fish markets here. As they have no natural enemies, derbies are held in an attempt to eradicate the buggers.

May 29, 2006
Derbies are a good method. Eradication is impossible, but they can be managed and hopefully made into a food fish. I don't know if they can be trapped, like snapper. I think they're ambush hunters that wait for smaller fish to come by and then they gulp them in like trumpet fish. It would be interesting if they could be grown in salt aquaculture system. Develop the demand and then market the "wild caught" at a premium. I'll have to find out more about them. I'd like to know how far up the estuaries they can come.

DR_Guy

Bronze
Feb 17, 2010
I prepare the conch with oregano, garlic and pressure cooker for 20 minutes. After that you can do what you want. Comes out very tender. Cut after cooking.

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012
Derbies are a good method. Eradication is impossible, but they can be managed and hopefully made into a food fish. I don't know if they can be trapped, like snapper. I think they're ambush hunters that wait for smaller fish to come by and then they gulp them in like trumpet fish. It would be interesting if they could be grown in salt aquaculture system. Develop the demand and then market the "wild caught" at a premium. I'll have to find out more about them. I'd like to know how far up the estuaries they can come.

They're basically a reef fish, and therein lies the rub. They eat any and everything they can wrap their lips around to include juvenile fish.