Do we have to worry about malaria also?

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
If there is one thing that we first-worlders should be better at than the locals it is making choices. All our lives we have had choices and unlike many in the developing world we should be very experienced at exercising choice.

If you wish to reduce the chances of getting Pneumonia, you can choose to get a shot. If you are concerned about parasites, you buy bottled water or install a filtration/purification system. Cholera, drink a vaccine. We may not have much choice when it comes to Dengue or ChickV or the common cold but if catching malaria is a concern, see your doctor and get a malaria prophylaxis.

100% protection may not be realistic, but medication is available that pretty much ensures you won't get malaria, if you choose to take it. Exercising your choice to worry about a parasite and do nothing to protect yourself puts you on par with the locals who can't afford to choose or don't know any better.

The risk of catching malaria in the DR is low for most of the country but increases the closer you get to the border with Haiti. Mosquitoes and other malaria vectors, however, fly or can be blown on the wind so the risk is not zero anywhere in the DR.

So if catching malaria concerns you, it is something you can actively prevent, if you so choose.

Thx DV8 for pointing out that cases may have spiked recently

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I agree about the malaria meds [reminder to self to get them].

This may be totally off the wall.... but after reading the seaweed thread I couldn't help but wonder if all that seaweed floating is presenting a breeding ground for mosquitos??

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
This may be totally off the wall.... but after reading the seaweed thread I couldn't help but wonder if all that seaweed floating is presenting a breeding ground for mosquitos??

El reporte, correspondiente a la semana epidemiol?gica 28, que va del 12 al 18 de julio, indica que la mayor?a de los afectados se detectaron en la provincia Santo Domingo y el Distrito Nacional, con un solo caso en el municipio Hig?ey, provincia La Altagracia.
i don't know... it would make sense for most cases to be registered in beach areas but it is SD... which is a pot of all diseases, btw, due to the size of the population. it's possible thou the people got infected while enjoying the weekend out of town.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
El reporte, correspondiente a la semana epidemiol?gica 28, que va del 12 al 18 de julio, indica que la mayor?a de los afectados se detectaron en la provincia Santo Domingo y el Distrito Nacional, con un solo caso en el municipio Hig?ey, provincia La Altagracia.
i don't know... it would make sense for most cases to be registered in beach areas but it is SD... which is a pot of all diseases, btw, due to the size of the population. it's possible thou the people got infected while enjoying the weekend out of town.

Ever bother to consider how many unreported cases there are ??

My guess is plenty of unreported.........

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
ever bothered considering that beach areas means tourist areas? and tourists would report malaria?

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Ever bother to consider how many unreported cases there are ??

My guess is plenty of unreported.........

ever bothered considering that beach areas means tourist areas? and tourists would report malaria?

Maybe the tourists are back home by the time the symptoms appear? I was curious about the symptoms because I didn't know what they were, I can see that some with a mild case might think it's the flu, or "gripe" :

Symptoms
When symptoms appear
Malaria can begin with flu-like symptoms. In the early stages, infection from P. falciparum is similar to infection from P. vivax, P. malariae, and P. ovale. You may have no symptoms or symptoms that are less severe if you are partially immune to malaria.

The time from the initial malaria infection until symptoms appear (incubation period) typically ranges from:2

9 to 14 days for Plasmodium (P.) falciparum.
12 to 18 days for P. vivax and P. ovale.
18 to 40 days for P. malariae.
11 to 12 days for P. knowlesi.
Symptoms can appear in 7 days. And the time between exposure and signs of illness may sometimes be as long as 8 to 10 months with P. vivax and P. ovale.

The incubation period may be longer if you are taking medicine to prevent infection (chemoprophylaxis) or because you have some immunity due to previous infections.

Variation in symptoms
In regions where malaria is present, people who get infected many times may have the disease but have few or no symptoms.3 Also, how bad malaria symptoms are can vary depending on your general health, what kind of malaria parasite you have, and whether you still have your spleen.

Common symptoms of malaria
In the early stages, malaria symptoms are sometimes similar to those of many other infections caused by bacteria, viruses, or parasites. Symptoms may include:

Fever.
Chills.
Headache.
Sweats.
Fatigue.
Nausea and vomiting.
Symptoms may appear in cycles. The time between episodes of fever and other symptoms varies with the specific parasite you are infected with. Episodes of symptoms may occur:

Every 48 hours if you are infected with P. vivax or P. ovale.
Every 72 hours if you are infected with P. malariae.
P. falciparum does not usually cause a regular, cyclic fever.

The cyclic pattern of malaria symptoms is due to the life cycle of malaria parasites camera.gif as they develop, reproduce, and are released from the red blood cells and liver cells in the human body. This cycle of symptoms is also one of the major signs that you are infected with malaria.

Other common symptoms of malaria
Other common symptoms of malaria include:

Dry (nonproductive) cough.
Muscle or back pain or both.
Enlarged spleen.
In rare cases, malaria can lead to impaired function of the brain or spinal cord, seizures, or loss of consciousness.

Infection with the P. falciparum parasite is usually more serious and may become life-threatening.

There are other conditions with symptoms similar to a malaria infection. It is important that you see your doctor to find out the cause of your symptoms.

http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/malaria-symptoms

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Maybe the tourists are back home by the time the symptoms appear? I was curious about the symptoms because I didn't know what they were, I can see that some with a mild case might think it's the flu, or "gripe" :

it can be. although these days it's hard to believe that someone with any health issues after vacations in the tropics would not want to squeeze some cash out of the travel agency or a hotel...
i looked at older boletines epidemologicos and it seems that in the past most cases were registered along the border, in the campo.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
my first dengue incident went 'undetected' by me.... just thought it was gripe... 10 days worth.

The only way I knew I had had it was because my second dengue - the hemorrhagic type - cannot appear as a 'first case' dengue, so the doctor said

I had to rummage back in my mind to guess that gripe was actually dengue.......

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
The bulk of the cases are in "Greater SD", AMONG THE POOR WHO LIVE LIKE SARDINES.
They don't spend their weekends at an "AI" on the beach!!!!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Rotting seaweed attracts flies from the decomposition of the tiny animals that live in the weeds. The tractor pulled sand rakes work great in Florida and manicure the beaches every morning without removing a significant amount of sand. What is going on this year is beyond any removal system the DR has at its disposal. It will decompose over time, just be patient.

May 29, 2006
Uncollected garbage is a primary source for urban breeding pools. Only takes about a cup of stagnant water for them to use and old tires are a perfect breeding environment. Spraying diesel puts a small film on the pools which kills the larvae.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
It is my understanding that mosquito eggs/larvae can only survive in fresh water. If rain water collected in semi-fresh clumps of seaweed, I think the salt concentration within the plant would quickly move to the small pool of rain water making it too salty. Rain water that collects in old tires, plastic bottles, cups and other assorted trash and stuff lying about is ideal. Of course if the poll of water evaporates away, bye bye larvae.

When it eventually does rain again in a significant amount, expect lots of termite queens and mozzies to appear.

To address whoever asked, yes, if a mosquito bites a malaria infected person and draws up some the of the bacteria with its meal, that that mosquito can go on to infect another person after a short period of incubation.

mirandakate

Aug 4, 2015
So if catching malaria concerns you, it is something you can actively prevent, if you so choose.

You're right, it's important to do as much as possible to prevent it.

I contracted malaria in Haiti in either PaP, Croix de Bouquets or Hinche in the mountains. It had me on my ass for over a month and an immune system that has been crippled ever since. I absolutely dread the thought of going through it again.

However, the anti-malarial medication you're speaking of has a list of really ****ty side effects such as nausea. Taking them regularly wouldn't be something I would personally choose to do.

If you're looking for your options, it's important to remember even an anti-malarial medication is NOT 100% protection. Here's some more info from the CDC:

http://www.cdc.gov/malaria/travelers/drugs.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
You're right, it's important to do as much as possible to prevent it.

I contracted malaria in Haiti in either PaP, Croix de Bouquets or Hinche in the mountains. It had me on my ass for over a month and an immune system that has been crippled ever since. I absolutely dread the thought of going through it again.

However, the anti-malarial medication you're speaking of has a list of really ****ty side effects such as nausea. Taking them regularly wouldn't be something I would personally choose to do.

If you're looking for your options, it's important to remember even an anti-malarial medication is NOT 100% protection. Here's some more info from the CDC:

http://www.cdc.gov/malaria/travelers/drugs.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Absolutely. I had to take antimalarial meds back in the 80's when I went to Africa for famine relief. I stopped taking the pills after two weeks of hallucinations...etc. I opted to keep covered and use lots of deet. Vaccinations are free in the DR, at least for those with a Cedula, and available to everyone. I got yellow fever and two other vaccinations on Thursday in Santo Domingo.

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
The very first time I got malaria was in W Africa and the African doctor said,"Lucky you got Malaria.We know how to treat that."

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
oh that's funny...... but funny scary too....

It happens in NoAmerica to me all the time with stomach issues.
They don't even have the tests, let alone know how to cure me !!!

Good old clinica aqui..... they know 'mucho.'