Do you feel a difference w/ the security plan?

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
Closing bars at midnight is house arrest? Are you frickin' serious?????????

WTF difference doesw demographics make? Are not all laws supposed to apply to all equally?

If you do not like what the government is doing, I suggest you start backing political candidates to change what you don't like. Where were you during the last elections? Did you vote? Did you actively support candidates?

Are you even a citizen?

The attitude of the police and military is that they don't want anyone on the street at night for any reason, drinking or not.

Mortran

Oct 12, 2004
anti-jihad.dd.vg
Let the people talk who live here.
The decent people who live responsibly are not the ones who are complaining. The tigres, drunks and motoconcho types are. The barrio folks always complain about everything, they are the once who are always in the middle of riot for any excuse.
[...]My electric bill at my home came to 4400 pesos for this month...
[...]
I am not the one complaining about the new law.
AZB
This is exactly what I expected. The opinion about the curfew differs between upper and lower class. Of course somebody from the conservative upper middle class with an electricity bill higher than many family incomes will hardly complain about measures that affect people he summarizes as "barrio folks", "tigueres" and "motoconcho types". (What is your problem with motoconchos BTW? You seem to prefer a Metro, don't you?)
This is symptomatic for the entire politics of the "comesolos". It is a politics that exclusively benefits the upper and upper middle class....
.... and foreign investors of huge mega-projects of course.
The Dominican people are left out.

Last edited:

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
The opinion about the curfew differs between upper and lower class.
The Dominican people are left out.

Totally wrong !

The humble dominican foliks are the first one to be happy, because they can finally GET BACK their neighbourhood !

The poor are AT LEAST protected (just a bit, not enough) from the delinquancy, who happen to happen mostly at night...

Don't be mislead, humble dominicans are GLAD that authority finally does a bit of work.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
The attitude of the police and military is that they don't want anyone on the street at night for any reason, drinking or not.

Why have I had no problems driving around after midnight?

I haven't been stopped yet, nobody has told me to stay at home, I'm free to move about at any hour.

Actually it's much better, less drunken idiots racing and jumping lights etc.

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
The OP in his very first post said, “I cannot find any confirmation of this but if it is true it should be a compromise which will satisfy most people” and this was due to a supposed extension to the closing times of the new ordinance.

It appears that this new ordinance was implemented as a feature to help combat the crime being committed here in the DR against everyone. To my knowledge it wasn’t implemented to combat crime against the rich only, tourist only or any other specific segment of society but rather those crimes committed against society as a whole. At the same time it is my understanding that it wasn’t implemented to combat any one particular type of crime but rather crime in general.

The powers to be through their wisdom or lack thereof have implemented this ordinance and the question you need to ask is if it is in fact combating crime as they intended? The next question that must be asked is what you, I, they or people in general consider to be crime? For someone like me and too a lot if not most Dominicans consider very loud music a crime especially after 11:00 pm. There are those that consider street racing, shooting firearms into the air, drunken loud groups walking down the street after midnight and a host of other things a crime. This is mainly due to the expected peacefulness that society has placed on those hours that are normally considered sleeping hours.

I have yet to experience any town here in the DR that was built up around any colmado or any other place that serves alcohol. It has always been that those establishments follow behind the people as they establish a place to live. Due to the culture, custom or habit that the Dominicans have of living in close proximity to each other it only stands to reason that those establishments that have a tendency to disturb the peace and tranquility of the people is a burden on those people. Due to the fact that the majority are silent and turn the other cheek when faced with any diversity does not detract from the fact that it is a diversity and as established by society is in fact a crime.

There seems to be a correlation between alcohol and crime. Due to alcohol’s effect on the brain and nervous system there are a number of people that use this “inebriated” state of a person to commit a crime against said person and there are those when in this “inebriated” state will commit a crime that they may not commit when sober.

So………… Has this new ordinance had an affect on crime here in the DR? I guess that all depends on what you consider to be a crime. After talking to a large number of Dominican in my community of all classes the vast majority of them are all in favor of the new ordinance. The reason for this is due to the peacefulness of the nights now and the availability of a restful sleep. There are those that have also stated that they now know where their children and grandchildren are at night. Along with the tranquility they say that they feel safer because the say, “los bagos no deben estar en las calles”. The only people that seem to object to the new system are those that I would consider “bagos” and a few nonworking rich men, who are married, that use those late hours to pick up women to take to a cabaña. I have not yet met anyone that has complained about the failure to drink after the closing hours as they know that if they wish to continue drinking that know how to get it.

There seems to be some argument going on about “average Dominicans”. Out of 13 pages of basic BS that are crying about something that is against their self serving interests there are only 7 posts that mention the majority, most or the public in general and how this ordinance affects them.

Rick

Last edited: