Do you have an iPhone Prepago?

Feb 7, 2007
To the OP: You can get truly unlimited data with VIVA but it will be EDGE speed, 256 kbps at best. Orange or Claro you can get 3G but your usage will be limited to 3-5 GB depending on the plan (per month). Use wifi if you need. I have a Galaxy S4 and I used only less than 100 MB data this past month (I have 5GB limit), rest is via WIFI. Connect to wifi wherever you can and don't be shy to ask for access or password.

InsanelyOne

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
My recommendation is to go with Claro. I don't remember how much the initial cost is for the SIM card but I'm sure it's relatively cheap. Once you have the card installed in your iPhone, topup with about 1000 pesos. You can then purchase a prepaid data plan. Dial *111# and follow the prompts:

2 Servicios
1 Internet
2 Internet Movil
1 Paquetes Prepago

You will then be prompted for the number of days and data allowance you want. For 650 pesos (US$15) you get 1 month with 1 GB of data. It's a great deal actually.

This will allow you to keep your cellular data turned on at all times and not have to worry about finding WiFi hotspots. Here on the east coast I find Claro's data service to be very reliable and average around 2.5 Gbps bandwitdh.

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
I dont know about capital or any other places but the signals are spotty at best in santiago. I had been using it for about a year and half now but i will be lucky to download 2mb pdf files on the move. I pay little less then $1300 for 1 gb of data per month prepago because that $1000RD I put in drains quickly without me using them for anything. If you are planning to stay in DR for long periods of time go for cheapest 500mb-1gb data you can find. Unless you tethering your devices and watch many videos, you won't use much of it if you have some wifi available.

jerseygirl22

Jan 6, 2009
I also have an unlocked Iphone 4S and i've been using it "prepago" since i arrived. I have Orange and they have options for prepaid data called paqueticos. First of all, you will need a SIM card and that will only cost you $100 pesos at any Orange store, make sure to take your passport with you so they can set the SIM card under your name. Once you've set up your SIM and you insert as much money as you'd like in your account you can choose any of these prepaid data packages for your Iphone.

100 MB for a day 40
700 MB for 7 days 250
30 MB for 30 days 120
100 MB for 30 days 190
300 MB for 30 days 380

I usually get the last option because 300mb is enough for me. Other than that each minute of talk time is 7 pesos a minute and you can call the US and Canada for 7 pesos a minute as well!