Do you have?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
I think we need to arrange a meet with gorgon and his cheesecake in February, what do you think?

YASSS, MAWMA! i'll bring my bread to try (as we speak i am preparing for baking of my new cheese, carrot and rosemary bread).

on a more on topic note, i have been offered help by few dr1ers in my dark times here, bless 'em.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
On topic?

hmmmmmmm

Cheesecake? Has to be DR cheesecake to be on topic.

I will leave the NY cheesecake for me. hahahahahahaha

The wife and I are very lucky with the many great people we have met here on dr1 and in the community that we can count on and trust. Recently many people were there for myself and my wife, it was very touching and I will never forget it. One friend lent us his car for 6 weeks while ours was getting fixed.
The people here are the main reason why I love Sosua and Cabarete.

Our barrio peeps also we can count on in an emergency they have helped us a lot can't say I trust all of them though...

drescape24

Bronze
Nov 2, 2011
Yes, I do , but most of my very close friends aren't on Dr1, or we are friends outside Dr1 before realizing we were on the site.

TravelHippo

Mar 24, 2008
I have a great little handful of both Dominican and foreign friends here in Cabrera that I know would be there in an instant if needed, and have been... including things like driving half way to Puerto Plata when I break down on the side of the road, or going to my house and packing my clothes, feeding my pets all week, and who visited me several times in a week in hospital when my 3 week old daughter was admitted to the NICU. :( Most of the close, trusted friends I have are right here in Cabrera but I have aat least one or two in Cabarete, Santiago and Santo Domingo as well, which can come in handy. I have that handful who I can trust completely and would call on anytime, day or night, but then there are many other Dominicans who I know if I called in the middle of the night with something like one of my kids or myself or husband being sick or in trouble, and they would be there right away. These people are mostly the families of the students who attend our school, especially those who have attended for several years. Oh and our neighbours are wonderful as well and would run over in an instant if ever needed and have done many little things for us over the years, as we do for them when they are in need.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I have people (Dominican and some foreign) who I can count on in every area of the country I have lived.
If you have been living here for more than a year or two and you do not have people who you can call/ depend on
in the event you have an emergency or need help, then I'd probably have to say...
You're not really living here, your just visiting.

4*4*4

Bronze
May 4, 2015
It is so important to have a real support system and close friends can enrich one's life in so many ways.

TravelHippo

Mar 24, 2008
I have lots of people I know would be there in a heartbeat, but I can also tell you that Dominican neighbors in general will be there to help.

Here's a great example: When we lived in Maimon, I suffered an accident and was unable to walk.

By luck of the draw, the next day when Ingrid took me to the hospital, there was an electricity spike and our A/C caught on fire. The neighbors immediately called the Fire dept.

When we got home that afternoon, we were surprised to find all of our furniture and belongings in the yard.

An army of neighbors not only put out the fire, but had also carried everything outside, and were busy washing and cleaning the soot off of everything. Another neighbor had our clothes and was washing them.

About an hour later, the fire department truck showed up, lights and siren blazing.

We didn't lose a single thing.

One of my favorite stories.

Awww.. That is such a great story!! What great neighbours. Our neighbours are the same way and I am so thankful we have them next door whenever we need them for anything, day or night. I do find Dominicans in general are so good at stepping up when someone is in need. I remember our first month here over 7 years ago, an elderly man tripped while walking down the street and people rushed from all directions to help him up and help him get where he was going. Also in our first few months here our pasola had a flat tire and about 30 seconds after we pulled over noticing it, the next person stopped, took us to get it repaired, which happened instantly and we were on our way in no time. We were impressed after years in Canada, USA, UK.. but since that day we have had countless situations, big and small, where people have stepped up to help out, for no money, no reason, other than because they see someone in need. Definitely one of my favourite things about Dominicans.

4*4*4

Bronze
May 4, 2015
I have lots of people I know would be there in a heartbeat, but I can also tell you that Dominican neighbors in general will be there to help.

Here's a great example: When we lived in Maimon, I suffered an accident and was unable to walk.

By luck of the draw, the next day when Ingrid took me to the hospital, there was an electricity spike and our A/C caught on fire. The neighbors immediately called the Fire dept.

When we got home that afternoon, we were surprised to find all of our furniture and belongings in the yard.

An army of neighbors not only put out the fire, but had also carried everything outside, and were busy washing and cleaning the soot off of everything. Another neighbor had our clothes and was washing them.

About an hour later, the fire department truck showed up, lights and siren blazing.

We didn't lose a single thing.

One of my favorite stories.

That is awesome, JDJones. Thanks for sharing your story.