documentary on White Haitians

dave6

Aug 31, 2010
Interesting. I'm very much interested in this topic as it appears my French ancestors were from Port De Paix and emigrated to the States during the revolution. The video seems to implicate that a considerable number of whites stayed after the revolution and years after while the research I have done seems to show otherwise. Specifically, there were laws in place by the Haitian governement to prevent the immigration of white people.

I have been to PAP twice and have met white Haitians by the way. I don't not know how long back they can trace their heritage though.

no we did not say a considerable number we said some, not all whites were killed, what we were saying is that there is and was always a minority of Caucasian people since the days of columbus

dave6

Aug 31, 2010
Doc. starts off on a weak note.

Thought it would only be right to talk about the history of Santo Domingo..and then St. Dominique. Would give the story context and detail exactly what kind of "relationship" existed between the blans, gens de coleur and the Africans.

His first mention of history is about the Haitian Revolution and whether or not Dessalines ordered the deaths of certain people.

Consciously omitting the savagery committed by the whites...on the enslaved people and what kind of natural resentment and hatred that human beings would have for those who put them in chains. I mean even relative to the other systems of slavery in the "new world", the French system in St. Dom. was HARSH. St. Dom. wasn't the most prosperous colony in the Americas by accident. It was especially brutal with extreme mortality and turnover rate for the enslaved people.

If you're gonna tell a story, tell the FULL story.

==============================================

I have read countless books on the history of haiti written by Haitians, french, and americans, very few books ever mention the history or the few whites that were sparred but all books speak in depth of the harsh treatment of slave masters and the french colonial system in islands.
i hope you can have the grace and kindness and understanding letting me make a documentary on something no one ever talks about and bypassing the history that has already been so well recorded.
and for the record we were not interviewing slave masters we were interviewing Haitians of different racial and cultural backgrounds many of whom has there roots and family tree dating back to the late 1800s and early 1900s, well after the slave system was destroyed so please do not assume all whites in Haiti or mulatto people are connected to slave masters

dave6

Aug 31, 2010
Just pointing out an obvious flaw in the opening part of this RACE specific documentary.I think an objective person would notice that after the narrated words "they (white Haitians) are an indelible fixture in the social history of Haiti from 300 years ago to today"....a brief history of these whites ...from 1710 to 2010 should have been included. Even as brief as detailing which countries or regions in Europe they are from.

I guess there are lots of white members and/or sponsors of this site.....and their sensibilities must be defended....regardless of what the ACTUAL topic is.......even when it's a documentary about a minority RACIAL group in Haiti.

I respect that.....but this is no place for me.

FIN

i am amazed at the level of anger and frustration my videos create, i did my best to put things mildly in a civil manner and in taste, never did anyone i interviewed or myself make general statements towards african descended people in Haiti or anywhere in the world, not one harsh statement, more the positive aspects of the african descended populace were highlighted and celebrated, but still people find a reason to be angered and frustrated simply because a small number of people of non black background proudly declare they are Haitian fills so man with hate and rage, i am in awe

Bernard Jean-Pierre

Oct 31, 2010
Very interesting documentary. To me it says a lot about the diversity and of Haitian (and Dominican) history. It also highlights the importance of helping and preserving Haiti, 1) for the people and 2) it is a historical treasure in every sense.

dave6

Aug 31, 2010
Very interesting documentary. To me it says a lot about the diversity and of Haitian (and Dominican) history. It also highlights the importance of helping and preserving Haiti, 1) for the people and 2) it is a historical treasure in every sense.

i am happy you this is the message you got because i was trying to relay those points, thank you for your support and interest it means the world to me

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
White Haiti

It is interesting insight given by you on the fate of White Haitians. The Haitian government over the years made many serious errors ,in the treatment of persons, who could contribute positively to their countrys' growth and stability. Haiti's problems go all the way back to the 16th century. If you have the opportunity read James Mitchners' Caribbean. It gives a complete history of French rule and the slave revolt and their self government. Haiti's problems can be traced all the way back to its inception.

S

dave6

Aug 31, 2010
It is interesting insight given by you on the fate of White Haitians. The Haitian government over the years made many serious errors ,in the treatment of persons, who could contribute positively to their countrys' growth and stability. Haiti's problems go all the way back to the 16th century. If you have the opportunity read James Mitchners' Caribbean. It gives a complete history of French rule and the slave revolt and their self government. Haiti's problems can be traced all the way back to its inception.

S

thank you for the reference, i will try to look the book up, thank you for the kind words

Reactions: Onions/Carrots
Jan 3, 2003
I enjoyed your documentary. I just finished watching the entire documentary. It's nice to see a video where the White Europeans are not misaligned. It presents that minority within Haiti and their dreams and desires towards Haiti.

You did a great job and it seems you have a penchant for production. Have you looked into funding or collaboration with some studio who can take you up on this same project or other projects you are thinking about? I believe you have a future in this if you do not already have one. :)

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
I enjoyed your documentary. I just finished watching the entire documentary. It's nice to see a video where the White Europeans are not misaligned. It presents that minority within Haiti and their dreams and desires towards Haiti.

Same here :bunny: I found it very interesting.

I was especially interested in the Lebanese community as all francophone countries in Africa have a sizable one. Just like in Haiti, they do extremely good, but are now faced with a new competition the Chinese immigrants. The key difference is that they live in their own world and most are not really assimilated with the local population although they have been there for several generations.

Wish u the best Dave !!!

dave6

Aug 31, 2010

You did a great job and it seems you have a penchant for production. Have you looked into funding or collaboration with some studio who can take you up on this same project or other projects you are thinking about? I believe you have a future in this if you do not already have one. :)

i am glad you think the production has value, i know i am not the greatest director of photography on the planet and if i had a bigger budget and more time and support i know i could have made the film more artistic and more detailed, i have been currently doing a re edit of higher quality to present to tv stations and distributors. it is my wish to do video productions and films full time and continue making films about subjects that few people in the world know about but when ever i looked for funding and whenever i talked to tv stations or people in the film world they told me my project was boring, uninteresting, low quality, broad with little information, and the list of insults go on and on. al i can do is continue to improve it and keep getting the word out there. but messages like yours are a great encouragement and as long as people like you enjoy my films i will continue to make them

dave6

Aug 31, 2010
Same here :bunny: I found it very interesting.

I was especially interested in the Lebanese community as all francophone countries in Africa have a sizable one. Just like in Haiti, they do extremely good, but are now faced with a new competition the Chinese immigrants. The key difference is that they live in their own world and most are not really assimilated with the local population although they have been there for several generations.

Wish u the best Dave !!!

i agree with you on all points but as far as the Lebanese of Haiti i have to say they are a people who keep pride in there middle eastern culture strongly but are very assimilated, they speak creole, they know the food, the dress, the lay of the land and its history and culture, speaking for the ones who are born and raised in the country and i know several immigrants who know the culture very well, the chinese in haiti i cant really say because i do not know any of them on a personal level but from what i know a few who have been raised here in haiti are well assimilated but i can not speak for the immigrant populace it seems chinese make a point to preserve there culture and isolate more than other migrant cultures.

Naked_Snake

Bronze
Sep 2, 2008
How about for the first 40 plus years of White Europeans in Haiti there were no blacks.

That's right, and it's even more interesting to note that on those first 40 years (from the 1620's to the 1660's), Saint Domingue francais was primarily a protestant establishment, and it came really close to becoming an english colony, due to the fact that the group that composed that first nucleus of settlement on those parts was a mixed group of french huguenots and english filibustiers. All of that changed when Bertrand D'Ogeron and his group, with fresh orders from the french crown, took control of the establishment and expelled the evangelicals on 1661.

It's also interesting to note that the pace of european settlement on that colony, despite the tropical diseases and the occasional skirmishes with the eastern spanish colonists, was more sustained than the one of the french settlements of Quebec and Acadia on that century.

A good description of the Saint Domingue colony during the XVIIth century (and the rest of the establishments of the island in general), can be found on the book "The buccaneers and marooners of America" by Alexander Exquemelin:

http://www.archive.org/details/buccaneersmaroon00exqu

Last edited:

dave6

Aug 31, 2010
That's right, and it's even more interesting to note that on those first 40 years (from the 1620's to the 1660's), Saint Domingue francais was primarily a protestant establishment, and it came really close to becoming an english colony, due to the fact that the group that composed that first nucleus of settlement on those parts was a mixed group of french huguenots and english filibustiers. All of that changed when Bertrand D'Ogeron and his group, with fresh orders from the french crown, took control of the establishment and expelled the evangelicals on 1661.

It's also interesting to note that the pace of european settlement on that colony, despite the tropical diseases and the occasional skirmishes with the eastern spanish colonists, was more sustained than the one of the french settlements of Quebec and Acadia on that century.

A good description of the Saint Domingue colony during the XVIIth century (and the rest of the establishments of the island in general), can be found on the book "The buccaneers and marooners of America" by Alexander Exquemelin:

The buccaneers and marooners of America : being an account of the famous adventures and daring deeds of certain notorious freebooters of the Spanish Main : Exquemelin, A. O. (Alexandre Olivier) : Free Download & Streaming : Internet Archive

this was something we talked about in our interviews but being that those early anglo groups did not stick and have few family names that live on today i really was not able to include that history. though i have heard in fond des blancs there are mixed and white haitians of that background, if i have the time and resources i will travel there to do some work and talk about that region and the history of Haitians with anglo roots, the most i could do was charles baker but his family came much later.
i myself have some english roots but they do not stretch back to the buccaneer history, but yes there are other interesting groups that were and are still in Haiti, French accadians are one very interesting group that has a history in Haiti the list goes on,
but my goal was to simply make people understand the concept, and to give it more of a human side than historical.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Besides Mole Saint Nicolas, Acadians were settled in other areas of Saint Domingue. In August 1764, 180 Acadians settled at Mirebalais. The local planters objected to giving them land, so the Acadians worked on existing plantations as laborers and managers. They lived in communities such as Montagne Terrible, the Capuchin canton, and Boucan Carre.
Some headed back to France, where they made port at Bordeaux. Some Saint Domingue Acadians made their way to Louisiana, but we don’t know how many. They had urged the Halifax Acadians to come down to the island, where they would join them in travelling to Illinois. But by the time the Halifax Acadians got there, the Acadians on the island couldn’t afford to make the trip. So they probably merged in with the other Saint Domingue people.
When the Haitian revolution occurred in the 1790’s, some of the inhabitants (probably including some Acadians) migrated to the eastern U.S. In 1809, some 10,000 people from Saint Domingue migrated to New Orleans via Cuba. But most of them stayed in New Orleans. Any Acadians in this group probably merged into the mixture of New Orleans’ melting pot.
Therre were many more Acadians that went to Haiti than just the above.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
There were also many French from Saint Domingue that went to Charleston, SC, that at the time was a major city and port in the New World.