Does anybody miss home?

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
so you wife is Korean and you are what? Korean Dominican American? or what? when you say you are homesik, did you not spend any time here growing up? how did you get here?

Born in Korea, family went to State with $50 in our pockets, and about 28 years later I followed the money and now in DR.

I was not raised here and I had no plan to until US work scene got so bad.

No regrets, I just miss few of the minor things that were so easy to get and things that I could easily do...

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Koreano", I moved here 17 years ago because I was offered a good job.
I had been visiting for about 10 years to help the DR pay their International debt.
I did that by paying Dominican prostitutes about $5,000 a year, hotels $10,000 a year, and American Airlines $10,000 a year!
Taking the job, saved me the hotels, and airfare, and I I spent a lot less on prostitutes.
I got "DR Smart", and paid about 95% less!
In 1995 I got married, bought a house, furniture,a vehicle,and inherited a VERY LARGE POOR Dominican family!
Since then my wife and I have had 3 children, plus, she came into our marriage with a child.
I sold my houses in Massachusetts, and let my roots grow deep into the Dominican "Soil"!
Guess that makes the DR my HOME!
We have Dominican health insurance for the whole family here.
I am retired US Navy, and have 100% coverage for me in US Veterans Hospitals, and my wife and kids have US civilian hospital coverage from the US Navy/Veterans Administration in the USA.
I also have "Medicare, parts A & B, if I want to go to US civilian doctors and/or hospitals.
My only problem when I get sick, is deciding where to go for treatment!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

bayaguanaman

Oct 22, 2009
Hi, may be you know the answer to help me, I am trying to get Korean Chili to make kimchi, i have the recipe and the only place I could think was the oriental supermarket on Feb 27th, Santo Domingo. If I could remember how to open a thread up, I would have done so......sorry !!!

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
Hi, may be you know the answer to help me, I am trying to get Korean Chili to make kimchi, i have the recipe and the only place I could think was the oriental supermarket on Feb 27th, Santo Domingo. If I could remember how to open a thread up, I would have done so......sorry !!!
I don't know if there's more stores but that Chinese store you know on 27 Feberaro have some Korean stuff displayed on front and I heard they have Chinese stuff in the warehouse behind. I would try and see if they had any chili there. Chili powder and hot chili paste and bean paste is a major ingredients for Koreans cuisine so they should have some. If they do have several to choose from pick coarse one not the fine grind one. I wish you luck...

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
My daughter was born in Korea, as Seon, Keon, Lee. We adopted her when she was 3 months old from an orphanage. She is now 29 and has a son of her own. Her name is Kelly and his is Anderson. I would like to visit Korea with her someday and see the culture that she is related to. She was born out of wedlock and would have had no chance in life to flourish. Thank you Korea for allowing us to be part of her life.

LTSteve

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
My daughter was born in Korea, as Seon, Keon, Lee. We adopted her when she was 3 months old from an orphanage. She is now 29 and has a son of her own. Her name is Kelly and his is Anderson. I would like to visit Korea with her someday and see the culture that she is related to. She was born out of wedlock and would have had no chance in life to flourish. Thank you Korea for allowing us to be part of her life.

LTSteve
You did a good job. We too were thinking about adapt before our son and I'll think about it further within two years. Since the S. Korean's population is shrinking and as they have banned the abortion several years ago. I wouldn't be surprised, if there's more of those unfortunates in the future. Korea is wonderful place to visit, but it isn't cheap any more. Yes there's way you can travel for around $30 a day but I wouldn't recommend it especially for a foreigners. The city of Seoul itself is very big and you'll probably find everything you need but venturing out to one of the island or visit to a country side will be a treat if you have time.

I found this video the other day, perhaps you can do one of this kind of trip with your daughter. (I am few episodes in)

[video=youtube;ymUMMUWToSc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymUMMUWToSc[/video]
By the way Jean-George restaurants is great but I feel too expensive and too small portioned for what it is. When there to eat and went through Burger King Drive thru. on the way back.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
When we adopted it was a relatively easy process. There is an adoption agency in Pennsylvania that has a relationship with an orphanage in Seoul. They not only arrange adoptions but pay it forward with financial, medical and other assistance. I don't believe that Korea is allowing near as many children to leave the country. The adoption option is great. You get to choose if it is a boy or girl or maybe even siblings. It's is very rewarding for the parents and very special for the child who was choosen to come to a new home.

LTSteve

pelaut

Bronze
Aug 5, 2007
www.ThornlessPath.com
If I wear white the bottom turns brown with in half day and it rarely do in NJ. With all the unpaved roads and miles and miles of empty lands in Santiago.

The Cibao (and SG) has hot house weather due to the tradewinds being condensed by the Cordillera Septentrional. The Cibao therefore rivals California's Imperial Valley for fertility. A corollary to that benefit is the settling of the finest rouge, or dust, blown across the Atlantic from the Sahara. It stays usually between 18? and 22? latitude, but may reach up to Florida on occassion. It's so light and fine it lofts to 40,000 feet and more on its journey. USATODAY.com

The Bod?l? depression in Chad, well south of the Sahara, also carries dust to South America, and it brings a significant boon of nutrients to the Amazon region. African dust keeps Amazon blooming : Nature News

Here on the north coast where no dusty roads lie to seaward (windward) of us, we nonetheless leave brown barefoot tracks on dewey surfaces in the morning. That's African dust.

If you use a catchment and you have filter cartridges between your tap and your cistern, scrape the brown sediment from the dried cartridge when you change it. You'll find it's finer than any jeweler's rouge, and you can use it that way too.

PS: to have this tropical Caribbean island compared unfavorably to New Jersey . . . well . . . .

pelaut

Bronze
Aug 5, 2007
www.ThornlessPath.com
......i have rejected [Medicare Part B] no sense paying $135 a month for isnurance that I cannot use without a $500 trip back to USA.Der Fish

And it isn't just $500 airfare. There's rental cars, hotels, meals, etc., for WEEKS while you wait for Dr.visit after Dr.visit with endless lab reports which must be mailed to the Drs. because you are too much of an Eloi to see them yourself although you paid for it.

This is my 44th year living overseas. I'm forced to pay income tax and FICA although I can't use Medicare. And though my income is under the "poverty line", there's no Government largesse coming my way since I'm not in the U.S.

But for 44 years I haven't had to pay medical insurance. Why? The cost of lab reports (which I carry away with me) and Dr.visits (which run from 45 minutes to an hour in the DR vs. 5 minutes in the U.S.), the second of which is free, is far under what the uninsured co-pay would be in the U.S. — and the insurance in the U.S. would cost more than my income anyway. And my meds are all available over the counter here.

Bottom line? I've had excellent healthcare wherever I've lived outside the U.S., both Europe and Asia. I've had access to meds which are denied to Americans by the U.S. FDA, and I can visit any docs I want — multiple docs for less money than one quick visit with a PA at a walk-in clinic on a highway in the U.S. Dentists? Get four opinions for US$100, then choose one and get the whole job done for peanuts.

Even without government nanny care, the DR is the place I would miss. It's home.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
years ago i worked with a fantastic korean girl. her name was eun hye kwon. eun hye means grace. i was the only one at work to call her by her korean name, i loved the sound of it. she used to lend me CDs with korean pop music :)

and moving away from that, i believe that someone mentioned pollution in DR? i use contact lenses. have been using them for 11 years. i use night and day lenses that are oxygen permeable, you wear them continuously for a month or so. i sleep in them, i travel in them, no problems. but whenever i go to SD i need my solution to wash the lenses. they get clouded and when you take them out you can see they are covered in dust, dirt, whatever. dirty. very strange...

bayaguanaman

Oct 22, 2009
I don't know if there's more stores but that Chinese store you know on 27 Feberaro have some Korean stuff displayed on front and I heard they have Chinese stuff in the warehouse behind. I would try and see if they had any chili there. Chili powder and hot chili paste and bean paste is a major ingredients for Koreans cuisine so they should have some. If they do have several to choose from pick coarse one not the fine grind one. I wish you luck...

This was the info I was refering in my other post on Kimchi. Thanks for this, If I can I will attach foto of the SB Kimchi sauce !!!

nyc dad

Bronze
Jul 28, 2011
There's sooooo much to do in the DR,the south,the north,especially in SD.Theathers,beaches,circus,sports....what are you missing from NJ,the seasons? Eco-adventures,diving,fishing(hate it) Have you being going to the Korean church? You have to network,network,network! I'm sure they can guide you in the right direction especially since you share the same faith.I have three boys,so I have no hobbies!!!!!!!

Pablo29

Mar 23, 2013
I miss real life less all the time. I have become acostumbrado to life here my little brown lady love and no cold etc... I don't think I am going back to Maine this summer at all. Maine summers are colder than the "winters" here.

So true......I went to York Beach in Maine because it was summertime and the temperature was 92 degrees. I anticipated some nice swimming in the water...Boy...I could barely touch that water with my feet.

JessicaRabbit

Sep 21, 2009
I only miss my happy days as a child, the place where i had my happy moments and people i shared these moments with. But childhood is gone, place and people have changed, so.... I guess i miss those days, but returning there will not be a cure, because all those things are not the same now anymore after all that years. What i really miss about my home country is the FOOD! Its variety, taste and price. Before i came to DR i was picturing abundance of delicious fruits and veggies but in reality food here sucks. I remember in Ukraine you could find like 10 different kind of tomatoes which taste like tomato, not a green BS, peaches that are huge and juicy, watermelons, strawberries, raspberries, cherries all that omg i SO miss it. I could travel home just to eat fruits!