Dog coughing epidemy or what is it?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
antibiotic is not likely to kill a pet but i would rather go to the vet. it can be also some sort of an inflammation, allergy or other issue. first thing you need is to make sure the dogs are eating and drinking normally. check their temperature if you can.

skynet

Bronze
Aug 25, 2013
Hey Jess,

sorry, should have sent me a PM, no biggie...okay, 77 Dogo, give him 1/2 a pill BID, 2 times a day, morning, night...being its powder..RRRR, did I mention powder?? LOL..bad, but we will do a workaround...you can pour the contents into his food, or if you have a piece of balony, ham, any yummy food you can pop 1/2 a powder pill into, onto how about a piece of chicken? make a hole, place the 50MG into it and do the pill him method..open his mouth, place at the back of the throat but not to make him gag, you know, remove hand quickly as you close his mouth and hold it closed, blow into his nose and watch for his swallow reflex,tounge wll move out smack in the middle of his mouth when its down,when you still have his mouth closed if you know what I mean... give water after...Did you happen to buy a syringe?

You can use the same method for the little guys, or if a syringe, I can tell you how to mix it, just need to know how many CCS the syring holds..So again, the correct dosage is 1cc per pound of weight..9 ccs for you pom, 4 ccs for the other guy..you can use a teaspoon to measure, 1 teaspoon is 4 ccs, sometimes 5, but 95% you should have 4cc teaspoons..again, you can just mix the powder into their food, but be sure its something they will devour in seconds like chicken or whatever you can think of...overall, this would be so much easier if you had liquid or tablets, especially tablets, can just pill all of them in seconds, now it gonna be a bit of stress for all..if the Pharma has tablets and not too much money, buy them...and another great food you can use, hotdogs! cut a hotdog in 1/4 or 1/4 depending how long it is, make a small slice, pour in the med, down it will go or even a sausage, now we are onto some great med foods!!!

okay, thats about it..treat for 7 days...If the diag is spot on, and I strongly feel it is, I know Kennel Cough, you will see an improvement in 3 days..but remember, the great thing about Doxy, its a broad spectrum! covers all kinds of infections so your going to get the culprit regardless..

If you need any help you still have my number yes?? if not, let me know and I will PM you..better yet, will send you a text shortly..call anytime!

Cant go to Santiago now. I got doxiciclina 100 mg in capsules. So how do i measure it? May be dilute all powder in some water or yoghurt? What is the ratio and how much of mixture per dog? Im really bad with math or counting, if you can figure it out for me id be so thankful! I mean i just want it put this way: for dogo this much ml of mixture, for pom this much and for chihua this much. Again they are 77lb, 9 and 4.

Last edited:

skynet

Bronze
Aug 25, 2013
spot on...I was going to advise she also give dextramentosone which is usually given along side of Doxy for that reason and to help any swollen area via the lungs should it turn phenomena..kennel cough is not a game..can it pass? sure, its a flu like virus, but for dogs being outside, weather now getting chilly etc, better use medications...

antibiotic is not likely to kill a pet but i would rather go to the vet. it can be also some sort of an inflammation, allergy or other issue. first thing you need is to make sure the dogs are eating and drinking normally. check their temperature if you can.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Your dogs WILL get better!
Not because of what you do, but, In spite of what you do!!!!!
Waste your time and money if you must.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

JessicaRabbit

Sep 21, 2009
Yes they are getting better. Less coughing today! And no runny nose. So i guess im on a right path! Dogs never stopped eating, drinking or being active. Only issue was a cough. I dont like running to doctors in cases that im able to figure out and that are not emergency, especially if they only diagnose allergy. I already successfully treated my dog from demodex, and knowing my dogs i can eliminate most of problems that could cause coughing, so among all possible cases there is only 1 left - kennel cough or adenovirus, treatment is the same, which treats the symptoms and secondary infections, which untreated may lead to complications. Antibiotics are not THAT bad if given with care.

skynet

Bronze
Aug 25, 2013
Good choice :) You really cannot miss with Doxy..Long story short, its the reason why Vets today will give Doxy on the Dog & Cats side of practice and Baytril and/or Doxy on the Avian side of practice..Doxy & Baytril are both Broad Spectrum Medications which means, kills all...well, just about..So when a Vet has no clue whats going on, or really, has no time to really evaluate your pet and/or test, your getting those meds..Its like using a machine gun, your bound to hit something.,..Plus both of those meds absorb very quickly, usually will see results in 12 hours or less...

Great news JR!!

Ant

Yes they are getting better. Less coughing today! And no runny nose. So i guess im on a right path! Dogs never stopped eating, drinking or being active. Only issue was a cough. I dont like running to doctors in cases that im able to figure out and that are not emergency, especially if they only diagnose allergy. I already successfully treated my dog from demodex, and knowing my dogs i can eliminate most of problems that could cause coughing, so among all possible cases there is only 1 left - kennel cough or adenovirus, treatment is the same, which treats the symptoms and secondary infections, which untreated may lead to complications. Antibiotics are not THAT bad if given with care.