Dog Shopping

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
My dogs kill any cat that comes on the property (except our own cats)
one night it was a cat and 6 kittens - quite a noise that was....

The neighbor's chickens are allowed some space usually..not always - sometimes

How could I forget the cats? Not many in our campo. (Of course, the Dominicans say it’s because the Haitians eat them, but lots more dogs than Haitians).

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
I actually thought cats were a rare species in the dr....lol.
Apparently they are just wary of the dogs-----cant blame them.
Stray dogs to, give our place a wide berth.

As for chickens visiting my conuco, i am clear, i dont want anything or anyone on my land without my permission.
I have chickens........ in a chick coop/yard.......and surprise surprise, the dogs cant kill them if they cant get to them.
So fence in your bloody chickens in !!!

I also lost a dog to poison some time ago, a very sad affair. It did cross my mind it was because of the chickens and i issued a formal warning to all concerned ( its only 1 house next to me, and they are family ) : i would think nothing of taking revenge even if right after i had to ditch my SUV at the airport and never come back.
It turned out that quite a few "guard dogs " were poisoned that night in the area, so it was probably more crime related.

It also helps that my dogs have no way out, and i make it hard for stuff to get in.
As well as fencing in the conuco, i also planted mailla de leche years ago, and trim them at around 180-200 cm...... so even chickens have a hard time flying across.

Joshua020

Sep 13, 2018
I actually thought cats were a rare species in the dr....lol.
Apparently they are just wary of the dogs-----cant blame them.
Stray dogs to, give our place a wide berth.

As for chickens visiting my conuco, i am clear, i dont want anything or anyone on my land without my permission.
I have chickens........ in a chick coop/yard.......and surprise surprise, the dogs cant kill them if they cant get to them.
So fence in your bloody chickens in !!!

I also lost a dog to poison some time ago, a very sad affair. It did cross my mind it was because of the chickens and i issued a formal warning to all concerned ( its only 1 house next to me, and they are family ) : i would think nothing of taking revenge even if right after i had to ditch my SUV at the airport and never come back.
It turned out that quite a few "guard dogs " were poisoned that night in the area, so it was probably more crime related.

It also helps that my dogs have no way out, and i make it hard for stuff to get in.
As well as fencing in the conuco, i also planted mailla de leche years ago, and trim them at around 180-200 cm...... so even chickens have a hard time flying across.

Thank you, it was useful

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
I used to have a really sweet Rottie. Loved kids, would drag me into the vet to see her buddies, a real doll. I worked on a ranch for a few years and she'd spend her days in a large kennel. One day I found a poor rooster lying in the kennel, looked dead. Poor thing had gotten licked all over, looked like he'd been dunked in a bucket of goo. But he was alive. Little heart going a mile a minute. And she was very proud of herself, she'd neutralized the "intruder". Love rotties!

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Consider a boxer. Looks like a pitbull but is as loving as it gets. They can be good watch dogs, and are great companions.

May 5, 2007
Consider a boxer. Looks like a pitbull but is as loving as it gets. They can be good watch dogs, and are great companions.
Boxers, they are said to be the "eternal teenager" of the dog world My Sister in Law has three (3) and they are the quintessential goober dogs, goofy as all hell but very loving and protective at the same time

Last edited:

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
rottie is the dog for me i have 3 .....no one comes next to me ... i leave them in my truck with ac running doors open when in SDQ....their are very friendly to me and my kids but i would not dare enter my house at night.....

ExDR

Jul 31, 2014
I recently lost a dog to sudden blindness.... July

So , I've been hunting for a dog... just missed one her from Conchman

Mid-sized is my preference - if you call 60-80 lbs mid - size

I have found a nice pair I will check out next week but in the meantime I came across what appears to be a very good breeder in Sto Dom

American Staffordshire Bulldogs... study them up
Watchdogs, large... good for the right situation.

I backed off because some can be large - and I have one large/large/huge already -- 140 lbs
One giant is enough... I don't even have a beanstalk !!!

I have encouraged the breeder to advertise here --
Any interest before she spends the pesos ??

You are obviously a dog lover, adopt a dog. They need all the help they can get.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Boxers I have thank you -- as of Tuesday...

Replacing BoBo the Boxer from years ago

new puppies -- a him & her --BoBo and BaBa
well behaved , good confirmation... her actually excellent

here is 'Him'... no shots of her
https://articulo.mercadolibre.com.do/MRD-409364491-hermosos-cachorros-de-boxer-_JM
and NO!!.. I did not pay that price
That was a reseller in SD selling a 2x the Corotos price in STI

You are obviously a dog lover, adopt a dog. They need all the help they can get.
Yes, I have adopted .. have one now but a Cdn adoption

Sometimes a puppy offers a better route...
you train, you know the idiosyncrasies ...

The Cdn adoptiva... jumps through my bedroom window at the 1st crack of thunder
through a screen no less.
But she's a good dog otherwise