Dog training for personal/home defense

lhtown

Jan 8, 2002
I have an almost six month old female Doberman. In light of recent robberies in our area(including an attempt by 4 men on our house), I would like to train her to attack intruders. Anyone know of any trainers on the west side of Santo Domingo that specialize in this?

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
I use to raise Dobermanns and when I moved to the DR I brought 2 along with me. By their very nature Dobies are very protective of their homes and their masters. As she matures you will see that it is not your home. It is her's and she just shares it with you.
While I was there with my Dobies I didn't even have to lock my doors. the Typical Dominican are terrified of dogs. especially Dobermanns. It was funny when I use to take one of my dogs to Boca Chica on a crowded sunday. People always seemed eager to make room for me at the best spots.
True story. On day while comming home in the DR my vecinos stopped me to tell me that they saw some guy running from my house screaming and holding his bloody arm. Upon entering my home I saw a stream of blood comming from the inside of the window next to my door. Apparently some idiot tried to reach in the window and unlock the door. Big mistake!

Tony C.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
I agree with Tony. I use to breed and train German Shepherds, Rottys and Dobies. If the breeding is good, you will have all the protection you desire. I hope you got the ears and tails done because it makes them appear to be more serious.

At 6 months you need to get the obedience training done. You shouldnt do any attack or protection work untill they are over a year old. I would at this point turn them onto noise. When someone knocks on the door ask the dog "who's there" trying to get them to bark and be attentive. Praise the hell out of them for any response. Positive reinforcement is the proper way to train a dog. After the dog is completely obedienced trained on and off leash you will need an aggitator to train the dog to bite.

Dobbies are what I consider "rocket scientists" of dog intelligence. Fast to respond and fast workers. Only problem I have seen is with poor breeding and soft dogs.

Good luck.

After the dog is older than 12 months and obedience trained come see me on the North Coast and I will get them to bite in one day at no charge.

jessica__78

Apr 3, 2002
Is the dominican republic really that unsafe?
comeandgetsome.gif

Alexandra

Jan 3, 2002
How about training the streetdogs to ....

... shut up at night ! That would be a nice change!

MikeKO

Apr 12, 2002
What about someone coming into the DR that doesn't own a big agressive dog? I've owned guard dogs before, and I have mixed emotions about picking up a grown dog that has been encouraged to be agressive. Any thoughts on providing a new home for a grown working guard dog?

Mike

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
Dogs that have been taught agression for a yard (Junk yard) are not usually good house dogs.

Mixed breeds can be good protection dogs along with many other breeds such as Standard Poodles, Giant Schausers, Bev. De Flanders and most of your herding breeds.

I had a Llahso Apso that was completely attack trained that I used as a Demo Dog. I also had an adult German Shepherd that jumped in my arms like a poodle on command that also impressed people buying and in need of training of dogs.

I really enjoyed the Dog business but needed to make more money easier without relying on help.

I had dogs in movies (Dobie in the "Exterminator" LLahso Apso in feature films and I have been on talk shows on major networks. It really pissed me off when the dogs scenes got cut:)

Now that I think about it I may just start a small kennel in the DR at some point as a hobby. I can import a few dogs to start my breeding program. I was at one time one of the largest breeders of German Shepherds in the US. Too bad it was so labor intensive and help was hard to find to pick up dog shit.

Regards

MikeKO

Apr 12, 2002
jazzcom,

I've always wanted to learn more about training dogs, and I've done my share of shit shoveling in my life, so I'll look you up when I get there. Maybe we can work a deal. If we can't, at least we can have few in the process.

Mike

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
MikeKO said:
jazzcom,

I've always wanted to learn more about training dogs, and I've done my share of shit shoveling in my life, so I'll look you up when I get there. Maybe we can work a deal. If we can't, at least we can have few in the process.

Mike

I would be happy to hoist a few anytime. I really enjoy dog training and would do it for free. It is amoung the most rewarding things for me. You get to see the quality of your skills pretty quickly whcih is immediate gratification. I picked up more than my share of tips hoisting a few with other trainers. Most of the most famous trainers in the country use to hang out at my kennel to show off:)

One time a trainer from Captain Haggerty's kennel came over to show off an attack trained dog to us. My partner aggitated the dog and it grew teeth out of its chin, lips and nose. He then rolled himself up in a ball and sat down next to the dog. The dog didn't know what to do and just sat next to him. My p liked to make people feel stupid which wasn't nice but was funny.

Another time a trainer looked at one of my Shepherd bitches and asked if she was attack trained. I said she was. He said "Ah she wont bite". I said put a sleeve on and you can just stand there and she will hurt you through the sleeve. He told me to just put her on to him and restrain her. He would offer his boot to get bit.
I said it was going to hurt because she was going to go through the boot. He said it was ok. Well needless to say she took his boot and put 4 holes in it, he was walking with a limp but never for one second complained. Dog trainers are a different kind of people.

My most favorite thing was to train dogs for the unusual. I had Full grown German Shepherds jumping in your arms like a poodle and little poodles attack trained. My attack trained Shepherds would be happy in a room with little children and the children would NOT be in any danger. I would tell people that the dog that they were petting was completely trained and they would look at me like I had 3 eyes in my head. I would turn the dog on and they would freak at the immediate violence.

Susan who had that famous dog in the GravyTrain commercial chasing the wagon train and running into the wall when the train disappearer through it was a good friend before she died, Captain Haggerty who was the original Mr. Clean and had a dog training school was a friend. He was the big bald guy walking the dog in every Woody Allen movie. We would all try to impress each other just like everyone does here:)

I am not in the DR yet. I won't be there on a full time basis for a while. I need to clear things up in the States before moving on. I have been thinking about what to do with myself in retirement or semi retirement and raising and training dogs is a great idea.

Regards