Doggie Problems

Aug 21, 2007
To date, have had no luck finding someone to adopt the mastiffs. Please continue to pass the word.

My small, spoiled dog simply would not tolerate them. Thus, I was forced to take them back to live at the empty house of their previous owner, with someone coming to feed them daily.

They deserve a much better life than this, as they are wonderful, loving (and protective) dogs.

Please help!

Thanks
Lindsey

alicious

Bronze
Oct 2, 2007
Awwww...They are so cute!
I'm not back living in the DR yet, but I wish you the best of luck in finding someone to love and take care of them as they deserve :)

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I have one here, still in the package. I brought it here, but then thought better of putting it up. Phil and Jerry, shoot a PM my way and we can work something out.
This just goes to show that life's all about timing.
There are times that folks (specially newbies) who would give anything to have two ready to go giant watchdogs like those two.
It's so darn hard to get adult good dogs, that can put the fear of God into any would be burglar.
And hewre we are, one week into this, and not a single bite.
If I had a house somewhere that needed protecting, those dogs would be my ideal choice.
I know how mastiffs are.
They are gentle giants, and you don't have to worry about them attacking someone for no good reason, nor will they hurt the dumbass midget doh that lives next door, that keeps on biting them on their back legs, yet when it comes time for action, they are all but unstoppable.
As sure as I am sitting here, in the next few months, someone will be telling me.
"I wish I had known about them".
They're exactly what I need."
And anyone who tells me that 2 big dogs are too expensive to feed, must not be able to afford to live in the house they live in.
Besides, there's no price on your life.
Man...... I wish I could take them.

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
To date, have had no luck finding someone to adopt the mastiffs. Please continue to pass the word.

My small, spoiled dog simply would not tolerate them. Thus, I was forced to take them back to live at the empty house of their previous owner, with someone coming to feed them daily.

They deserve a much better life than this, as they are wonderful, loving (and protective) dogs.

Please help!

Thanks
Lindsey

Lindsey, why don?t you place them in the classifieds section of a DR newspaper?

They are great dogs and have papers. I am sure that there will be lots of interest for these dogs.....

Please make sure that if you do list them in a DR newspaper that you sell them vs. giving them away?.That will help you weed out the people that may not afford having these beautiful dogs.

But if you do decide to list them for free, please make sure that you screen the people really good and tell them that you are very concerned about the wellness of those dogs, and that you will be checking up on them regularly until you are convinced that they are in good hands.

Aug 21, 2007
Perhaps advertising them in the newspaper is good advice. I will make some inquiries about how to go about doing so.

They really are not my dogs to sell, so if I did take money, it would be solely to cover the cost of the ad.

Of course, I would carefully screen potential new owners. Mastiffs are unique dogs. While their size is great, their disposition is mild. Many who are not familiar with this breed associate size with ferocity and thus, misunderstand and/or mistreat them.

The dogs have been through enough, losing their life-long owners. I would want to be sure the new owners would treat them right.

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
Having just read a heart rendering email which was forwarded to me with regard to these beautiful dogs, I would just like to bring it back to people's minds that (as far as I am aware) they are still desperately in search of a new home. You have obviously been doing a great job, Lindsey, to ensure that their health and welfare is well catered for but obviously that cannot continue forever.

Aug 21, 2007
Whirleybird-

You are right. The dogs have not yet been adopted. I have been visiting them every day, giving them vitamins and soup bones. Pats. Love. The neighbor, Steven, feeds them.

They great me with tails wagging so hard that the tails wag the hind quarters of the dogs.

It is such a shame. Leo and Jeannie are people friendly dogs. They would provide wonderful companionship as well as protection to someone willing to care for them.

They deserve much better than the life they are now living.

PLEASE, continue to pass the word.

Lindsey

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
Whirleybird-

You are right. The dogs have not yet been adopted. I have been visiting them every day, giving them vitamins and soup bones. Pats. Love. The neighbor, Steven, feeds them.

They great me with tails wagging so hard that the tails wag the hind quarters of the dogs.

It is such a shame. Leo and Jeannie are people friendly dogs. They would provide wonderful companionship as well as protection to someone willing to care for them.

They deserve much better than the life they are now living.

PLEASE, continue to pass the word.

Lindsey

The question has now been asked of me as to whether it would be possible for someone to adopt Leo without Jeannie? Unfair maybe but also better perhaps that one is found a good home rather than neither....

Aug 21, 2007
Whirleybird-

I am sorry, but I don't think we could adopt out one dog without the other. These pooches have been through enough trauma. I think to take one away from the other would not be right.

I do appreciate your continued interest and attempts to resolve this problem. Let's keep working on it. I pray that someone will come forward.

elsuizoperdido

Jan 30, 2008
I can offer a new home for them...

Hi Lindsey,
I can offer a great spot for these very nice doggies. We own a 60?000m2 finca in Samana, enclosed with a stone wall. A very special Dominican worker takes care if I am not there. He just loves animals!!! I am back in the DR at the 8.2.2008!! Let me know if we can see us then and make it real?
Thanks,
Mischa

My mail: mischamu@yahoo.de

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Bit confused.

I have an email copy of a post that supposedly comes from this thread, saying the following.

Hi Lindsey,
I can offer a great spot for these very nice doggies. We own a 60?000m2 finca in Samana, enclosed with a stone wall. A very special Dominican worker takes care if I am not there. He just loves animals!!! I am back in the DR at the 8.2.2008!! Let me know if we can see us then and make it real?

Was this post deliberately deleted?
Is it a glitch?
I did not include the name and address, but if it is a simple glitch and you want the contact, info, Lindsey, just let me know.

Aug 21, 2007
Rocky and all....I too got that email copy.

Oh well, I will give a much needed update. There were several people who expressed interest in the dogs. Just recently, a reader and infrequent poster on DR1 took the dogs and is trying them on his Costambar property. (I won't give his name without his permission.) He previously owned a mastiff, so comes with knowledge of the breed. The dogs had a couple of recent medical issues. We believe that the new, loving owner will provide the nutrition and attention needed for the dogs to be happy and strong once again. The only remaining challenge is to see whether the new owner's ridgeback will accept Leo and Jeannie as new "brother" and "sister." Thank you, all, for your interest and concern. If, by some minute chance, the new owner is unable to keep the dogs, I will keep you all informed.

Lindsey

beachcomber

Oct 15, 2003
Happy Ending

Leo and jenny are enjoying there new home by the sea ..jenny has good days and bad days like most very old lades..on the good day we go for walks on the beach and in loma DE bestea,

they are enjoying there retirement with lots of TLC and i them beachcomber and family :)
pic
2vvqrk2.jpg

fightfish

Jan 11, 2008
That?s a great ending to a doggie's travels, and thanks to the adopting family as well as those who made it possible!!

trabajadora

Aug 29, 2007
Oh this makes me feel so happy for the doggies. What a great place to live. A huge thanks to the new "parents". :bunny:

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Happy Ending

Leo and jenny are enjoying there new home by the sea ..jenny has good days and bad days like most very old lades..on the good day we go for walks on the beach and in loma DE bestea,

they are enjoying there retirement with lots of TLC and i them beachcomber and family :)
pic
2vvqrk2.jpg

What a nice outcome! :)

How's the ridgeback adjusting?

Aug 21, 2007
And one more thanks to all of you who took an interest in the situation. Dr1 members posted on other message boards about the dogs, I received emails and calls from friends of dr1 members, pm's from dr1 folks, and other people way down the grapevine contacted me. I don't even know how they found out about Leo and Jeannie.

It took a special family to adopt these sweet dogs. (Putting up with Jeannie's LOUD snoring was just one of several complications.) A huge thank you to Beachcomer and his family.

And a second thanks to dr1 members for the empathy and help. You are the best!!!

Lindsey