Dogs being poisioned

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Shyt!

When I was a young lad ("90" now), in the DR, there used to be a neighborhood thief named Victor who used to poison dogs in order to rob houses.

Unlike DISCO, his legacy carries on!.

I guess it's a "dance" that will NEVER go away!.

Chester4

*** Sin Bin ***
Feb 12, 2004
mountainfrog said:
That's amazingly fast.
Almost too fast.
Could it be... ?
Never mind.

m'frog

Yes, it could be ...? and we already told them that we were already robbed and have nothing more to steal in our house.

Now I am going to pay for a guy with a gun and who will use it... guy recommended by a friend.

Counting the days before we move .....

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
First, I'm very sorry for your dogs...

Chester4 said:
... have nothing more to steal in our house. ...Now I am going to pay for a guy with a gun and who will use it... guy recommended by a friend. ...Counting the days before we move .....

Now, before you do something rash, I'll let you in on a little secret (...something quite difficult in the DR). Every City Hall (Ayuntamiento) in the DR has an animal control department (and/or officer), who's main job is to control the stray dog population. There are no municipal dog pounds in the DR. Every so often (usually at the urging of a civic leader or other authority) the animal control officer proceedes to eliminate the entire stray dog population. For this, he first prepares a pail of beef chunks laced with poison, and two hours before dawn, he goes up and down every street and alley, dropping the poisoned morsels... Unfortunately, all dogs on the street before dawn are considered strays....

Chester4

*** Sin Bin ***
Feb 12, 2004
Mirador said:
Now, before you do something rash, I'll let you in on a little secret (...something quite difficult in the DR). Every City Hall (Ayuntamiento) in the DR has an animal control department (and/or officer), who's main job is to control the stray dog population. There are no municipal dog pounds in the DR. Every so often (usually at the urging of a civic leader or other authority) the animal control officer proceedes to eliminate the entire stray dog population. For this, he first prepares a pail of beef chunks laced with poison, and two hours before dawn, he goes up and down every street and alley, dropping the poisoned morsels... Unfortunately, all dogs on the street before dawn are considered strays....

That is horrible ... shame they don't do this for some of the stray people population too.

My dogs are nearly always here in my garden ... I feed them well, but of course they can also be poisioned while they were here.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Mirador said:

We don't have that program in Sosua, as Judy from the Pet Lodge, and a group called, "Friends of the animals of Sosua" or something close to that, have vets come down here from America, and they go around picking up strays, giving them medical care, and sterilize them, at the same time, to control the over population.
In the OP's case, she let's her dogs run stray off her property, so it would be hard to say what exactly happened to her dogs, but they may have been pestering the neighbourhood, and someone could have decided to take action.
It's really sad for the dogs.
Owners do have a responsibility to their pets, to oversee their security.

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
24 hour leash laws are something I doubt would ever be enforced in the DR, but I think they are the only fair way to deal with animals which are allowed to run loose in a populated area. It is the owners responsibility to have the animal under control at all times. If it is running loose, it is subject to being captured and potentially euthanized (if it is not claimed and a fine paid). Anything that happens to it, (up to and including being poisened, or even shot) or any damage or injury caused by the dog while not under control, is the owners responsibility.

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
Unfortunately as population increases societies find it necessary to install more laws or in this case perhaps they simply go around poisoning the animals when the problem gets to far out of hand. Imagine if everyone owned three dogs and they all roamed the streets. This is another example of "culture shock". You now know that your dog can be poisoned if left unattended. I have thought often of poisoning the little bastard that lives behind us. I think my ears are insensitive to barking by now.

sosuajames

Mar 8, 2005
i hear you snuffy, we have a dog tied up out behind our house that doesn't stop barking. it has us nuts. would love to feed him a sponge full of gravy but....we just hope it gets off the leash and the local outlaw motorcycle club snatches it up for exercising their pit dogs, and thats what happens to the stray/loose dogs where we live.