Domestic violence in DR

Buffness

Self-imposed banned🫢
Oct 9, 2014
Our cleaning lady came to work bruised the other day .....she said she wasn’t feeling well... When miesposa spoke with her ...she told miesposa that she had an argument with her husband ....and that he, basically , beats her ...

She said that things has got worse during COVID .... Before COVID he was always at work ...now he gets drunk, they get into a fight...and well ...you know the rest ....She also said something about his brother is a policeman ...you can figure out the rest...

This is affecting her work ...When told , our Dominican neighbor basically shrugged...like ...“ So ?” ...and just asked if we needed a new cleaner ...his wife said nothing.

So , what to do ? Mind our business...and just hope things get better for her ...give her some time to sort things out ....take up the offer for a new cleaner? ...I don’t know.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Dicrim agents arrested three men accused of spraying "Devil's acid" on the face of a young woman, while traveling in a public transport car

Agents from the Central Investigation Directorate (Dicrim) arrested three men accused of spraying "Devil's acid" on the face of a young woman, while traveling in a public transport car, in the Luperón expansion of the National District.

The detainees are Willy Antonio Javier Montero, 33; Pedro Alexander Sosa Méndez, known as Alex, and Joan José Félix, both of legal age, were arrested in the early morning hours, in the Los Guandules sector.

The preliminary report indicates that Javier Montero, 33, was a sentimental partner of Amarante Rodríguez.

The document also specifies that the event was allegedly planned by Javier Montero, motivated by an alleged infidelity. This one hired Pedro Alexander, alias Alex and his friend Joan for the sum of RD $ 3,500.

1601485772964.png

user123

Aug 16, 2017
Dicrim agents arrested three men accused of spraying "Devil's acid" on the face of a young woman...
People in DR been attacking each other with that shit forever, I don't understand why is it still sold in stores everywhere.

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
If you can hire 2 guys to physically disfigure a girl for $3,500, what’s going to happen when abused women are eligible for the promised government $10,500 stipend?
There are thugs that will murder for less than that.

Reactions: JD Jones

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
If you can hire 2 guys to physically disfigure a girl for $3,500, what’s going to happen when abused women are eligible for the promised government $10,500 stipend?
There are thugs that will murder for less than that.
There are a lot of people in this country
who will do a lot more for a lot less.

Reactions: jd426 and Auryn

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
People in DR been attacking each other with that shit forever, I don't understand why is it still sold in stores everywhere.
Its acid. Mainly used to clean out corroded pipes.
Supposed to require showing an i.d when purchasing.
Easy available at most colmados. First time I ever saw
this type of thing happen was in South East Asia many
years ago but sadly its not uncommon to see it here.

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
I didn't know that. That is good news. But then what happens when he gets out? Does she have chance of a decent life without the asshole?

I had a very nice women that cleaned my office, made the coffee etc that was the sweetest lady and must have weighed about 80 pounds. One day she was all upset and I found out her husband was getting out of jail for hitting her with an empty beer bottle. I told me off duty special police friend who worked security that if he showed up to administer some justice out back so that he would understand touching him again would NOT be a good idea. Lucky for him he never showed up because my friend was a pit bull in humane form. The abuse of women in this country is beyond belief. It is no excuse but many of these idiots learn it from their fathers. I always preached to the young son of my ex that you NEVER EVER touch a woman, something my dad, God bless him, always instilled in me and my brothers. Those types of simple teachings are all but lost here, sadly.

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012

I used it a number of years back for a clogged drain and I can tell you it is very nasty stuff. It makes Drano look like mouth wash.

Reactions: CristoRey

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Makes you almost want to travel around with Baking Soda in your First Aid Kit .

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
Dicrim agents arrested three men accused of spraying "Devil's acid" on the face of a young woman, while traveling in a public transport car

Agents from the Central Investigation Directorate (Dicrim) arrested three men accused of spraying "Devil's acid" on the face of a young woman, while traveling in a public transport car ....

That acid produces horrendous burns and scarring.

At one point, I was attempting to organize a medical mission trip with a plastic surgeon from Western New York. He wanted to travel to Puerto Plata to perform reconstructive plastic surgeries for things like scar revisions and cleft lip and palate. We got permission to use hospital facilities and for him to practice medicine, during his trip only, in Puerto Plata. One of the potential patients was a woman who had been attacked with acid. The scars were unbelievable. I have photographs, but will not post them since she has a right to privacy.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
It's sulfuric acid. Sulfuric acid has a high affinity for water(higher than other acids) and is absorbed rapidly and deeply into the skin which it why it does so much damage,

Drak

Jul 7, 2015
So , what to do ? Mind our business...and just hope things get better for her ...give her some time to sort things out ....take up the offer for a new cleaner? ...I don’t know.

Always tough to know what to do...

If it were me, I would suggest the Fiscalia as well.

I know of 2 who have been sent to jail now for over 2 years for similar events.

They have been getting tougher on these guys for the past couple of years and I see that continuing in the future.

Sounds like she's in for a rough time either way.

I definitely would NOT give her time off to 'sort things out'.

Coming to your place gives her time away, keeps her in the public eye, puts money in her pocket (maybe).

Laying her off will only make her situation worse IMO.

Listen to her, offer advice and help her out would be my suggestion.

If you're able and secure, offer her a place to stay for a time if she needs.

Buffness

Self-imposed banned🫢
Oct 9, 2014
Always tough to know what to do...

If it were me, I would suggest the Fiscalia as well.

Laying her off will only make her situation worse IMO.

Thanks for your input . We will mention the fiscalia to her ( We didn’t know about it) ....and we will not lay her off just yet ....with the hope that things will get better for her .

Our neighbor was suggesting that I speak with the husband....man to man ...Bad idea, I thought , seeing that his first response to the issue was to offer a replacement cleaner ...his wife didn’t say a thing.

They must know how these things play out in the DR more than we do...and I’m guessing the last thing needed is ‘gringo interference’ in a domestic....this is the DR after all ...I’m not seeing people who are much better placed , rushing to help ...so, ‘when in Rome’...mi esposa will talk to her about the fiscalia...

Reactions: Drak

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Unless she explicitly asks for your involvement, it’s best to just sta
Thanks for your input . We will mention the fiscalia to her ( We didn’t know about it) ....and we will not lay her off just yet ....with the hope that things will get better for her .

Our neighbor was suggesting that I speak with the husband....man to man ...Bad idea, I thought , seeing that his first response to the issue was to offer a replacement cleaner ...his wife didn’t say a thing.

They must know how these things play out in the DR more than we do...and I’m guessing the last thing needed is ‘gringo interference’ in a domestic....this is the DR after all ...I’m not seeing people who are much better placed , rushing to help ...so, ‘when in Rome’...mi esposa will talk to her about the fiscalia...
The problem with giving unsolicited help in a domestic abuse situation is that often the victim and the aggresor will turn against the helper, as weird and insane as that sounds. Unless the victim explicitly asks for help, a person runs the risk of becoming the enemy of the couple. In this day and age where too many people are too prone to getting a gun or a stick and letting the enemy know they were wrong for getting involved, its best to not get involved. A victim could want to vent her situation, but if help isn't explicitly asked by her (not offered by you, because on some victims that could change things and suddenly you're the bad guy) then its best not to offer it.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Unless she explicitly asks for your involvement, it’s best to just sta

The problem with giving unsolicited help in a domestic abuse situation is that often the victim and the aggresor will turn against the helper, as weird and insane as that sounds. Unless the victim explicitly asks for help, a person runs the risk of becoming the enemy of the couple. In this day and age where too many people are too prone to getting a gun or a stick and letting the enemy know they were wrong for getting involved, its best to not get involved. A victim could want to vent her situation, but if help isn't explicitly asked by her (not offered by you, because on some victims that could change things and suddenly you're the bad guy) then its best not to offer it.
100% agreed.
Sometimes you just got to let nature run it's course.
Dominican problems need to be resolved by Dominicans.
Same when it comes to car accidents, shootings, lynchings
and the rest.

Reactions: JD Jones