Dominican Baseball players may be in for surprise

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Pedro

If Pedro gets the Cy Young, great. That has not been his motivation this year, it was to overcome his injury of the previous year and win. He has accomplished that and he feels this has been his best year, that's his personal award. Regards, PJT

N

Not registered

For some odd reason, I think Lowe will be awarded the recognition this year.

As I have previously said, and been yelled at for, Pedro's lack of endurance and injuries have kept him from being thought of as one of the best ever.

When he is on his game, Pedro is as good as any, it's his durability that hurts him.

Talk of a player that never gets his recognition, how about Greg Maddux, 15 wins for 15 years in a row.

Janice

mondongo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
jdiaz said:
even money he doesn't......Any takers :smoke:

I pick my homie Pedro...you pick any other AL pitcher...even money....you're on....lets see who wins the CY

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Sammy and Englis...

Jdiaz and Musicqueen...obviously you guys have no idea how hard it is to learn a new language...In addition It's been shown that it is virtually impossible to learn to speak a new language without an accent after the person is 16 years old. Furthermore, I don't know what grade Sammy reached in school, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't even high school. Vladimir G., for instance, only has a 5th grade education. So how can you expect them to speak correct English, when they don't even speak correct Spanish. Give Sammy his dues for not going into his own shell like a lot of others do (Manny Ramirez, Vladimir, etc..) He's not shy like the others...and why should he be? BTW: Jdiaz I hope you're not one of these "closet" hispanics (like John Sununu), who are ashamed of being dominicans, latins or whatever in front of americans. You sure sound like one....
On the other topic...Pedro is the most efficient pitcher in the majors...period. Put aside the emotions and look at the numbers. He will not get the Cy young this year, though. Zito will...If not Derek lowe will get it.

Jersey Devil

Bronze
Jul 5, 2002
MVP?

It normally goes to the best player on a winning team.
Although it seems to have been forgotten by some.
In the Al, it seems that Soriano may lose some support
because he plays on a team of stars who amy take some
of his support, especially Jason Giambi. If that happens
it may come down to who wins the West. If Oakland wins,
it should be Tejada. If it is Anaheim, Garret Anderson may
steal it. In the NL look for Barry Bonds to get the MVP re-named
after him, especially if San Fran gets closer to Arizona. Steroids
or not, his walk totals are staggering. Of course if it was just
Best Player or Most Impressive Player, Alex Rodriguez.

jdiaz

Sep 10, 2002
Hi, Suarezn.........
I don't know you, but maybe one day we can sit down and have a cup of coffee, tea or maybe a beer....
A closet Hispanic?
Friends and family are dying laughing, reading your post!

With the name of Julio Diaz, there is no closet big enough this side of the mississippi river I can hide in. LOL!
No, amigo(a).
Mi, papa y mama son nacio y creiado en la republica. Sabana Iglesia, para ser exacto. Y me crearon Dominicano.

I don't know John Sununu and don't care to know him.

My parents lived through the sixties here in the states and adatped the ideoligies of Martin Luther King and John Kennedy. They raised us accordingly, myself and 2 younger sisters. And 'cause of my parents, I've never in any way felt embarassed to be Dominican nor hispanic. I just can't see how anybody could. But, you really can't know that about me.
All I was saying is that I don't think Pedro deserves the CY Young this year and how Sammy should just learn how to speak the english language.

"Closet hispanic"? LOL...............:smoke:

Cira

Sep 24, 2002
I am really proud of Pedro, besides being the best pitcher in the majors right now. As for those on learning a second language, I think that personal advancement is up to the person. When migrate to a country where you have to learn another language is really hard. People laugh at you and humiliate others as matter of fact, when trying to say something and they do not understand. I have been in the U.S. for 6 years and that is the reason that pushed me to learn more. It does not matters in what country you are, it happens around the world.

jose?to

The thread finally snapped...
Jun 19, 2002
Read'em all, but hardly join in. However, here it goes:

It is unfair to judge Sammy's command, or lack thereof, of the English language. After all, Henry Kissinger, whom was born in Europe, but has lived in the US for much of his life, has an accent.
Oscar De La Renta has an accent; and so does Antonio Banderas and Selma Hayak. Claudia Schiffer has an accent, too.
As someone previously posted, it is next to impossible to speak another language without a trace of the original if exposure to it takes place during your teen years or later.

When Sammy says, "Beisbol has bin berri berri goo to mi", he is mimicking a character from SNL named Chico Escuela, and who hailed from the DR, and who would respond to any question by saying, "Beisbol....."
I believe that Sammy had some people that would advice him on how to play the game in front of the cameras, and the US media ate it up. "Just act bubbly, Sammy, smile and make fun of yourself." US media feasted on it, and Sammy made more money from endorsements than ever before.
Sammy's command of the language is good enough for government work. I understand him perfectly.
English, with its constant variations, is plain hard. I'm still confused after all these years.

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
Chico Esquela was Cuban!!! It was parody of Giants 2nd baseman Tito Fuentes. he had Actually said " Beisball been berry berry good to me" in an Interview. Garrett Morris Of SNL derived the character from that.

Tony C.

jose?to

Jun 19, 2002
I stand corrected. But I vividly recall Chevy Chase's character introducing Morris as Chico Escuela, from the Dominican Republic.
It's been years since I watched those shows. Maybe I was being unconciously biased, and I wanted to hear DR instead of Cuba. Fecal matter happens, you know!

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
suarezn...I do know how hard it is to learn a new language...I came to live in this wonderful country when I was 14 years old...and didn't dare speak to anyone for TWO years because I thought people would laugh at me and my "accent"...I barely spoke in High School...didn't have any friends, and was under a heavy depression for that time...crying everyday 'cause I wanted to go back to my country and my friends...I was very popular in school there, and it was a cultural shock for me that I didn't overcome until I was 25 years old.

But, I think that people like Sammy, Vladimir, even El Duque, when he complained that they were going to take away his translator, with all the money they have and all the free time they have between seasons and making all those millions that some of us don't ever in our lifetimes get to make, SHOULD pay someone to teach them to speak correctly and fluently. I'm not saying without an accent, after all accents are very sexy sometimes, but at least more fluently than they speak now. And above all...STOP COMPLAINING...They're here, they're making money they probably never even dreamed of making...so put it to good use!!!

jose?to

Jun 19, 2002
1986 AL MVP: Roger Clemens, pitcher, Boston Red Sox
1987 AL MVP: George Bell, OF, Toronto Blue Jays

Jersey Devil

Bronze
Jul 5, 2002
mobrouser said:

:classic:

you must be remembering the 1987 AL winner.

mob

AS I wrote, "normally". I guess you might remember 1986
as well. Normally is not the same as always.
Food for thought, remeber who votes for these awards,
the same type of journalists who once kept Ted Williams
from winning an MVP award when he batted over .400.

Cojelo suave hermano,

DR_DEFENDER

Jan 8, 2002
Some of you make me laugh when you talk of voting for Lowe over Pedro! Let me tell you why you are making such a choice. The problem is that when you see someone do something GREAT your jaw drops but when they do something great but not quite as great as the first time you take away from what they have accomplished and that my friend is what is happening here! Do you think for a minute that if this was Pedro's first season with the Red Sox that a lot of you would be saying the same? I think NOT!! Or do you think if this was Pedro's best season of his career that you would be saying the same thing....again, I think not! But since you have seen what he can do and he didn't quite do it this year you're going to take away from the fact that he pitched better then Lowe. And that is total nonsense.
So, I have it all together now. What we do is the following so that you guys can be happy:

If a pitcher has an ERA of..let's say 2.25 but the year before he had an ERA of 1.80 he should not get Cy Young because the pitcher he is going against has an ERA of 3.45 and the year before it was 5.25. Therofore we give it the pitcher with who made moyor improvement, right? Come on guys!!
Or better yet....let's give it to the pitcher who does any of the following:

1) Wins only one game but it was a very important game
2) Is always trying his hardest or
3) the other guy already has one so why not give it to someone new?

Please!!! Let's compare numbers and give it to the one who did a better job and that my friend is Pedro, hands down!!

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
Settle Down Beavis

The premise of this post is who will win the MVP, not who deserves it most and for why.

Again, the media chooses the winner. If you follow baseball close enough during the season you'll notice the awards go to who gets the most press.

Pedro had a marvelous year, no one is denying that.

Lowe was in the highlights/headlines for nearly 20 straight days. He nearly no-hit someone, then nearly did it again. He then came back against Baltimore and threw his masterpiece. That's nearly three weeks of prime time press.

Then, he goes up against the same Baltimore team (I think it was the birds) and went 3, 4, 6 innings again without allowing a hit. So, he's the lead story on ESPN AGAIN!!!!!

In addition, Lowe is a former All-Star as a closer who got his bell rung every time he was put into a starting role.

Add all that together and you have juicy story after juicy story that every East coast paper covers when he comes to town.

Extrapolate it out and Lowe has a significant head start on Pedro.

If Pedro won 20 games righty and saved 30 lefty he may STILL have not been able to overshadow Lowe.

Just my opinion - and I agree the system stinks - but enough with Pedro the MVP, history points to Lowe.

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
Hey, Everybody...Please go back to page one and read the original post again...

We're not talking MVP...we're talking Cy Young!

Jersey Devil

Bronze
Jul 5, 2002
golo said:
With the final days of the MLB season coming to an end there seems to be a major scramble to find alternate candidates to replace the many Dominicans who are threatening American players with running away with the major awards.

Musicqueen (Miami Nice!),

The thread opened as above, regarding major awards, not
just Cy Young. Although golo spent a part of his time
discussing Pedro and the Cy Young.

Deseo lo mejor,

Moca