Dominican beer taste test

monfongo

Bronze
Feb 10, 2005
To answer chipoo, If we can get stella and DAB here in pop you should definately be able to buy it in Santiago,let the beer wars begin.

DR_Lost

Apr 30, 2007
anybody that thinks presidente is really good beer has never had really good beer.

Thank God somebody finally said it. Presidente tastes like skunky Foster's (AKA soapy water).

Nice info Cobraboy: I've done the blindfolded thing and been able to distinguish between 8 of the commonest "chain brands" back home.

I used to love going to the Pepsi Challenge booth and shouting out that whatever the one on the left (or right) was tasted like crap. Of course I was pointing to the pepsi... :cheeky:

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
.... which is lousy beer.
The better beer is Bohemia Especial. :laugh:
Seen today at 'La Sirena' for just under 190 RD$ (six pack with 355 ml each bottle).

m'frog

M'Frog

what is that spanish saying???

Para el gusto se hicieron los colores. Let me know if you need me to translate heheheheheheeeee :cheeky::cheeky::cheeky:

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
I am tired of these Presidente promoting threads, once again I have to post the break-down of beers in the DR, enjoy!!

Presidente - Chopos & Tourists
Bohemia - Poor Chopos & Expats
Brahma - Middle Class Doms & Expats (who know better)
Quisqueya - Rural Chopos & Old School Barrio Chopos
MGD - Wealthy Doms & wannabe Wealthy Doms
Corona - Dom Yorks
Stella Artois - Nobody (except a few no-it-all expats.)

Dominicans in NYC don't even drink Presidente and most places won't even stock it.

something_of_the_night

Has left the building...
Feb 7, 2006
I am tired of these Presidente promoting threads, once again I have to post the break-down of beers in the DR, enjoy!!

Corona - Dom Yorks

Dominicans in NYC don't even drink Presidente and most places won't even stock it.

Cool list.

The Kid - chopo extraordinaire, who has been drinking Bohemia since when Bohemia wasn't cool, and who thinks Corona drinkers are Johnny-come-lately's and Stella Artois drinkers are posers

C

Chip00

Corona - Dom Yorks

Primo, primo, primo - Domincans that don't drink Presidente in the States don't drink it because it they say it is different than the stuff they get here on the island - I must have heard that a hundred times from different Dominicans there. I personally can't tell a lot of difference between the two other that I'm pretty sure that the stuff in the States has more alcohol. For example two RD65 bottles here makes me feel the same as 3 12oz bottles in the States.

Also, the only reason anybody drinks Brahama here is for two reasons - to look "cultured" or because it is a lot cheaper. I have drank it and it is nothing special - watered down and too sweet IMO. I prefer the hoppy beers as I started drinking in Germany when I was younger and for that acquired a taste for them.

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
The Breakdown!

Liquor

Brugal - All Chopos, Tigueres, Car Wash Queens, Conchos, Sankies, Tourists & Expats (who don't know better)
Johnny Walker - All Dom Yorks and wannabe wealthy Doms
Chivas Regal - See Above
Hennessy - All hardcore Dom Yorks & NY Baggy pants type Tourists
Grey Goose - See Above
Apple-Martini - Fake Rubias at lounges/clubs who feel that drinking something expensive would make them classy, even if they can't pronounce m a r t i n i, hahahaha.

C

Chip00

Liquor

Brugal - All Chopos, Tigueres, Car Wash Queens, Conchos, Sankies, Tourists & Expats (who don't know better)
Chivas Regal - See Above
Grey Goose - See Above
Apple-Martini - Fake Rubias at lounges/clubs who feel that drinking something expensive would make them classy, even if they can't pronounce m a r t i n i, hahahaha.

Hey I like Siboney white with grapefruit juice - waht does that make me? :)

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
Siboney

Hey I like Siboney white with grapefruit juice - waht does that make me? :)

Siboney white with grapefruit juice sounds pretty nice, I'll have to try it out first. You get a pass on that one, until further notice, hahaha.

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003

Corona - Dom Yorks

Ricardo,

And who gives final approval on this list? :eek:gre: Is there some type of assocation that comes up with this or is this YOUR personal list?

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Liquor

Chivas Regal - See Above
Grey Goose - See Above
I like Siboney Especial on the rocks, or 8 or 15 y.o. Barbancourt on the rocks. What would I be?

I'm also growing quite fond of La Benedicta, hard cider, instead of beer (and I'm a beer guy).

I'm off the traditional charts...

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
Ricardo,

And who gives final approval on this list? :eek:gre: Is there some type of assocation that comes up with this or is this YOUR personal list?

The association and members are top secret and the list is final, but I do have the authority to dole out "exemptions" for certain cases.

Posters who wish to send a PM consisting of at least 300 words on why they are not a Chopo but like Chopo Beer may do so, Please Drink Responsibly,hahahaha.

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
I like Siboney Especial on the rocks, or 8 or 15 y.o. Barbancourt on the rocks. What would I be?

I'm also growing quite fond of La Benedicta, hard cider, instead of beer (and I'm a beer guy).

I'm off the traditional charts...

I am still up in the air on the Siboney, but La Benedicta is a nasty tasting apple flavored swill, that comes in a cheap blue bottle and is the favored drink of Hookers trolling the Monument for Johns. I had a more refreshing drink from an open fire hydrant on Myrtle Ave, hahaha.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Where does Macorix fall

The association and members are top secret and the list is final, but I do have the authority to dole out "exemptions" for certain cases.

Posters who wish to send a PM consisting of at least 300 words on why they are not a Chopo but like Chopo Beer may do so, Please Drink Responsibly,hahahaha.

Where does Macorix 8a?o fall into this, should top the list. An dont forget Barcelo

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
no Remy ? no Gran Marnier ? this is a low budget thread :ermm:

The only thing low budget is your taste for liquor, hahaha. Remy Martin was a classy drink before it was cheapened by the Urban youths who probably can't spell "c o g n a c" and will drink it out of a plastic cup.

Gran Marnier, eehh, I could take it or leave it. Generally you find old timers drinking this stuff.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I am still up in the air on the Siboney, but La Benedicta is a nasty tasting apple flavored swill, that comes in a cheap blue bottle and is the favored drink of Hookers trolling the Monument for Johns. I had a more refreshing drink from an open fire hydrant on Myrtle Ave, hahaha.
:D

Don't tell Vermonters and Hew Hamshirites, or across the pond. Hard cider is very popular in New England and the UK. I'm a semi-fan when the mood strikes. Some are sweet, some are dry, all depends on taste. My US fave is "Woodchuck"

It's MUCH easier to brew than beer, I assure you.

Ricardo, that was what I was drinking @ Mikes at the first Hamburger Orgy...:cheeky:. I'm very surprised it's in the DR. Seems some sort of disconnect or something...

WebDev

Jan 1, 2002
samana.net
Macorix brand

Never heard of it, but if its produced by Barcelo or Brugal, than it's leaning toward the Chopo side of the scale.

Macorix brand, manufacture spirits in San Pedro de Macoris, supply to fine AI establishments of the South.
Visit the factory many years ago, sad operation, primitive and seems to me a fly by night operation (10 years ago), but I guess they are still in business.
Wife bought a bottle of "Liqueur de Cacao" for a acquittance, the couple still alive.........LOL

WebDev