Dominican Cooking - Burn and serve?

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
Pollo guisdao ( i think ) is the norm in my campo. Chicken pieces cooked for hours in simmering water, peppers, cilantro, olives, c?pres, etc...all go in at diffrent, specific times....... and its delicious !! When its my wife that cooks........ MIL and SILs much, much less....
Other example is spare ribs, forgot the campo name. Cooked for hours in a gravy type sauce, the meat just falls off the bone.

Now we're talking. And, this campo.... where be it?

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
I have to agree, strongly.

The only "burnt" thing I have seen/eaten is burnt rice "concon" (not sure if you spell it like that), but that is done on purpose (well, by accident/side product, but it's not thrown away, everyone wants to eat it).

Oh I know what you're talking about. They boil the rice until the water cooks off and it burns. The white is served, and then later they eat the scorched and burned rice like a delicacy. My girlfriend is a fan. Not me.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Oh I know what you're talking about. They boil the rice until the water cooks off and it burns. The white is served, and then later they eat the scorched and burned rice like a delicacy. My girlfriend is a fan. Not me.

It should not be burnt as such. Rather turned into a crust.
This is very common in middle eastern cuisines where the base of the rice pot has a crust which often has various ingedients added and is quite delicious. Using slices of potatoe is a favorite. Persian cuisine is perhaps the perfect example. Too often the rice crust here is rushed and either sticks to the base of the pot or fragments or gets burnt.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
Nothing like "concon" with habichuela guisada. mmmmmm

concon.jpg

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Now we're talking. And, this campo.... where be it?

The hills of Guananico :) north coast.

I was interrupted in my post by my wife sarcastically telling me that instead of writing about cooking, i would be better off attending my tomato sauce which was starting to boil, rather than simmering lol !!

In conclusion I have tasted some great stuff here, and some bad stuff, same as back home.
I have also tasted bad stuff that was well cooked,
Good stuff badly cooked,
Bad stuff badly cooked,*
And good stuff well cooked.
;) *;) ;) ;)

Oh ! I forgot, a decade ago I cooked rice for my wife back in europe.*uncle ben's throw in boiling water and voil? its ready !!
She litteraly burst out laughing !
Bad tasting pre-cooked rice at 3 times the price !!
I couldnt go back to eating that stuff..... ( but reminds me of good times at university ).

Sep 4, 2012

Yes, occasionally "sopitas" are used, but my wife practically hates them... Whenever the same effect can be reached naturally, that way is always taken...

As for the dry rice mentioned above, not really sure about this either, as the only times I've eaten/seen other people eating it, was when something quick was fixed if we arrived late to home. Otherwise rice is never eaten dry...

See folks, replies as this one are taken seriously right away not necessarily because it goes against the "norm" of hating everything Dominican while living in the DR (think oxymoron and stupidity at the same time) but because it just feels truthful and not made up.

I'll add, as far as the "sopitas" and the bad cooking experience by some -- it's usually driven by cheapness. Get a "criada" that knows how to cook (it'll just cost you a little more than the cheap "chopa" you went with to try to save a dollar or two) and you will see the difference, perhaps the experiences will differ.

Cheapness is never good at any level, satisfaction and good outcomes always have a price -- pay up.

Oh, and to stay on topic, I also agree -- rice is never served dry in the DR, I really don't know where some of these folks are or have eaten at?

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Part of the problem with the gas stoves here is your using propane not natural gas, most of the gas nipples are for natural gas not propane this will affect heat control, therefore cooking time.

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
In conclusion I have tasted some great stuff here, and some bad stuff, same as back home.
I have also tasted bad stuff that was well cooked,
Good stuff badly cooked,
Bad stuff badly cooked,*
And good stuff well cooked.
;) *;) ;) ;)

Yeah, I'm in a mood today. :)

However, I was just given some food, made with love, but it is truly awful. The chicken tastes like raw meat. I'm really glad I started eating out of sight because I'd be mortified to offend them. I think I'm going back to my cover story that I'm a vegan. It's hard to mess up beans and rice.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
.........Pollo guisdao ( i think ) is the norm in my campo. Chicken pieces cooked for hours in simmering water, peppers, cilantro, olives, c?pres, etc...all go in at diffrent, specific times....... and its delicious !!......

Was it something like this?

ohjp81.jpg

I'll admit this was very good. I was afraid to ask what some of that stuff was floating around in the pot. This was cooked in the campo outdoors over a wood burning makeshift stove.

or like this............

2hmhlrl.jpg

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i'm pretty sure the picture above is sancocho. good food. i cook it sometimes, albeit lighter and lazier version.

dominican cooking is kinda meh to me. nothing to write home about. there are some things i like but generally i find it heavy, greasy and calorie dense. no wonder there are so many obese folks here.

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
Part of the problem with the gas stoves here is your using propane not natural gas, most of the gas nipples are for natural gas not propane this will affect heat control, therefore cooking time.

Either way, you should have a nice blue flame; otherwise, the fuel/air mixture if off which is where the nipples come in.

And, propane is much hotter. Like any stove, you get use to it, but it's more temperamental. Just my opinion as I'm sure you can find somebody that likes the hotter heat such as for a pizza oven or similar.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

If you are using propane in a stove set up for natural gas it will produce carbon monoxide and leave a layer of soot on your cookware. They really should be re-jetted for natural gas. *

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Either way, you should have a nice blue flame; otherwise, the fuel/air mixture if off which is where the nipples come in.

And, propane is much hotter. Like any stove, you get use to it, but it's more temperamental. Just my opinion as I'm sure you can find somebody that likes the hotter heat such as for a pizza oven or similar.

Propane burns at*1980 ?C 3596 ?F

Natural gas burns at*1950 ?C 3542 ?F

A bit hotter.*

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
I guess I got lucky.*

Good Dominican food homemade is the norm in my house when the wife cooks, I usually
Cook the healthier salad with meat or fish varieties.*

Well made*habichuela negro con arroz y pollo guisado is a wonderful dish. Homemade mangu, with fried cheese and avocado is good too. Various rice dishes (locrio) with crab, chicken or pork well seasoned are good too.*

No complaints here😀

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
Propane burns at*1980 ?C 3596 ?F

Natural gas burns at*1950 ?C 3542 ?F

A bit hotter.*

Wow, I'm shocked. The two seem very different to me. Propane is certainly a denser fuel that doesn't displace as much air. I think a given volume of fuel/air mixture would be more energy dense for propane. It may burn no hotter, but it gives off more BTU's.

Or, I'm full of it and it's just a perception thing. I'm not sure.

Okay, closing my browser for a few hours. :)

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
HI flame, lots of grease, few spices other than chickey flavoring and a kitchen full of dense smelly smoke. The DR has many wonderful aspects but cooking is not one of them. Just me but I find it mostly inedible, unrecognizable, and unhealthy. Dominicans live a long time in spite of their diet. Gotta say something positive. Love the avocados and the people.