Dominican Driver's License - Finally got the permanent license

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Change may be coming.

We got stopped in Jarabacoa not long ago for a seat belt & revista inspection.

Besides, driving without a seat belt has become like riding without a helmet. If I have to do it, I feel nekkid...

MAY BE COMING!!!
I got the full workover in SD for no belt,,,, cost me dinero, bigtime.

they reversed to coma nd get me when they saw pull out of the gas station putting it on.

Literally, front wheels on the road, rear wheels in the bomba.... BANG!!!

careful there boy.... they get you.....

of course it was around 12 noon -- lunchtime

I had to slip the $$$ below the level of the passenger window.....

discretion is the better part of valor

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Cannot be done for Americans, each state issues their own licenses, they are not federal like other (usually smaller) countries.

Did not know that. Provinces in Canada also issue their own licenses but the Canadian Embassy can do the certification. Sorry bout the misinformation!

Sent from my GT-I9195L using Tapatalk

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Centralized nad decentralized gov'ts.

The individual states have more sway federally than the Cdn Provinces --- which actually 'tithe' to Ottawa..

Not so in the US...

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Centralized nad decentralized gov'ts.

The individual states have more sway federally than the Cdn Provinces --- which actually 'tithe' to Ottawa..

Not so in the US...

But in other ways the provinces have more autonomy and authority than states. For example crown lands as they call them are almost completely under provincial control unlike the BLM in the USA.

Kantana

Mar 25, 2012
My partner and I got our provisional driver's license in October of last year. We live in Bavaro and intended on getting the provisional in La Romana but the computers were down so we ended up going into Santo Domingo. Our spanish skills are rudimentary so we opted to use a driving school that provided a translator. It certainly made the process easier since getting the license requires going into about a dozen different queues, watching a video, getting a blood test, etc. It's a classic case of intended organization resulting in chaos. Contrary to things I had heard, they were VERY strict about having the translator in the examination room. They monitored his translations and made sure he wasn't giving us the answers. (Not that the test is difficult).

Fast forward to yesterday. We drove to La Romana first thing in the morning to do the driving test and get our permanent license. We enlisted the services of a local friend just in case we had trouble communicating. We were in and out in about 30 minutes. It was very easy. They refused to let our friend join us in the car for the driving test. Not that it mattered. All you have to do is drive around the block. Four right turns and you are done. It was pointless really. The man administering the test was attempting to speak to me in English (which I thought was nice of him) but he had his left and right mixed up so he kept pointing to the right and telling me to turn left.

All in all, a very positive experience and glad it's finally done. I like having everything legal. I realize some of our longer term residents are hostile to the whole idea of formally getting their residency/cedula/license but I think it's a worthwhile venture.

While we were in La Romana we were going to get our new cedulas but the lines were out the door and down the street. Decided it wasn't worth the wait.

Very interesting post! I never knew Dominicans required any kind of license to operate a motor vehicle! They even sit for a written exam and road test? Seriously, did all the Dominicans I see on the road go through this process? I am sorry, but the chaos I see on the road makes me question if Dominicans are required to pass any exams and driving test before they can jump into a car! What with driving with a giant bottle of Presidente or brugal on the passenger seat, talking on the phone or texting, passing on all sides of the road, jumping into the opposite lane on a two lane road, converting a two door toyota tercel into a discoteque on wheels...........and the list goes on!!!!

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
well, los gringos need the test

invariably, I get pulled over while cars made from Lego parts drive by... not a matching metal panel on the whole car

Insurance -- I have it.... the guy behind me - in front ---- not a chance but the policia review mine liken the final exam

who knows??