Dominican 'druglord' Extradited To N.y

something_of_the_night

Has left the building...
Feb 7, 2006
Quite right, and let's keep it DR related.
I have already inadvertently insulted one member mentioning keeping it DR related.
I apologize to him, and ask you also to not get bent out of shape about this, but we do not discuss US policies & politics on DR1. (Nor any bashing)

Not in the least, good buddy. If read carefully, my posts actually have more of a DR-bashing slant, as I'm implying the DR authorities appear to have no balls and weak knees. But I know there must be a reason for it.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Yes--let's not bash the U.S.

Let's just do it by posting innuendo and drift right over to off topic backdoor BS
Moderator: Not DR related --go right ahead and delete my post. No problem.

john

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Not in the least, good buddy. If read carefully, my posts actually have more of a DR-bashing slant, as I'm implying the DR authorities appear to have no balls and weak knees. But I know there must be a reason for it.
I was agreeing with you, as well as making a public apology to the poster I offended.

2LeftFeet

Bronze
Dec 1, 2006
They should extradite him and execute him. There is no place in this world for him. The people that he's intimidated, the lives that he's ruined intentionally and unintentionally. They should seize ALL of his ill gotten property, sell it off and donate the money to some worthy cause in the DR.---Orphanages? Set up libriaries??? Re-organize the police force???

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
They should extradite him and execute him. There is no place in this world for him. The people that he's intimidated, the lives that he's ruined intentionally and unintentionally. They should seize ALL of his ill gotten property, sell it off and donate the money to some worthy cause in the DR.---Orphanages? Set up libriaries??? Re-organize the police force???
Amen.
And if that's not enough, I can think up a few other ill fates for the likes of him.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
I'm implying the DR authorities appear to have no balls and weak knees. But I know there must be a reason for it.

I'm afraid the reason is partly the profit motive. There are so many people in the military, in government, people with influence, in the judiciary etc etc who gain from the drugs industry, either directly, indirectly or negatively (through fear of reprisals). And people who would be under threat if the guy was tried here. NOT everyone, not all politicians, law enforcers or judges but some. Not so hard to imagine a judicial bench here being 'influenced' to find not guilty, insufficient evidence or lenient sentence if guilty. I think they'd rather make it 'someone else's problem'.

hcastrony

Jul 19, 2007
i doubt about the claim that he had so much money

am i the only one who thinks that 1billion dollars is a bit exagerated?

2LeftFeet

Bronze
Dec 1, 2006
It really is such a shame that there is so much corruption and greed in the DR amongst the politicians and police. The good people, who are the majority are the ones who suffer. The children, even adults see this "wealth" and want it. It corrupts and a whole nation suffers.

When a police force is corrupt it's a losing battle. How is a nation supposed to function? The people don't know who to trust.

My understanding of the article was the mules were bringing the drugs into the US so the crimes were being commited in the US so .....why not go after him?

I don't know if a billion dollars is too much but if you do the math you can figure it out.

Where did you get that figure?

something_of_the_night

Has left the building...
Feb 7, 2006
It really is such a shame that there is so much corruption and greed in the DR amongst the politicians and police.

Corruption at all levels of govt. But greed is as Dominican as habichuelas con dulce. The vast majority of Dominicans are greedy. And it's a crying shame. And it breaks my heart. Seriously.

rotondo

Jun 18, 2007
it does not matter if it was 1 billion or one hundred the fact still remains one more criminal off the streets if the u.s. has more resources to prosecute and easier to get conviction the better -less chance of this guys friends to break him out of jail like it has happened in other places congrat. to everyone involved

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
it does not matter if it was 1 billion or one hundred the fact still remains one more criminal off the streets if the u.s. has more resources to prosecute and easier to get conviction the better -less chance of this guys friends to break him out of jail like it has happened in other places congrat. to everyone involved
That's a fact.
And no matter how futile it may appear to be, we can't give up trying to eradicate these low life scumbags.

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
Aren't extradition treaties common?

Sounds like it. According to article been in the books for a while.

The U.S. and Dominican Republic maintain an extradition agreement since the early 1900s.

The Dominican Republic has been pretty busy doing this in the last year or so.

SANTO DOMINGO. - The National Drugs Control Agency (DNCD) said today that in Rafael Ramirez?s 11 month tenure 45 fugitives have been arrested and extradited to face charges in the United States and Puerto Rico, mainly for drug trafficking and first and second degree murder.

http://www.dominicantoday.com/app/article.aspx?id=24726

something_of_the_night

Has left the building...
Feb 7, 2006
I'm afraid the reason is partly the profit motive. There are so many people in the military, in government, people with influence, in the judiciary etc etc who gain from the drugs industry, either directly, indirectly or negatively (through fear of reprisals). And people who would be under threat if the guy was tried here. NOT everyone, not all politicians, law enforcers or judges but some. Not so hard to imagine a judicial bench here being 'influenced' to find not guilty, insufficient evidence or lenient sentence if guilty. I think they'd rather make it 'someone else's problem'.

Lambada, I just got off the phone with someone who worked directly with DNCD via the NAS (Narcotics Affair Section of US Military/DEA), and he tells me the drug problem is all the way up, and they know it.

It doesn't sound promising AT ALL.

Some things can't be said here openly. E-mail is on its way, baby.

Feb 7, 2007
Aren't extradition treaties common?

No European country and almost no other Latin American country extradites its own citizens to a third country. They can, in certain circumstances, prosecute such citizen in the home country, for crimes commited in the third country, but they never, ever, extride outside.

Feb 7, 2007
prices of the alkaloid in NY have dropped 2000% (from about US$600/oz to about US$30/oz current street value)?

The drop, in such case, would be 95%. You cannot drop by more than 100%. You can INCREASE by 2000%, but you cannot DROP/DECREASE by 2000%. The decrease by 2000% would result in a price of US$-12000 (twelve thousands negative).

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
No European country and almost no other Latin American country extradites its own citizens to a third country. They can, in certain circumstances, prosecute such citizen in the home country, for crimes commited in the third country, but they never, ever, extride outside.
I am no expert on the matter, but I believe that you are mistaken.
I think they do extradite their own citizens in certain cases.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
, prices of the alkaloid in NY have dropped 2000%
I missed this part, until someone made a remark about the percentiles, but that aside, can you tell me more about "the alkaloid".
Is this a substance used in the production of crack/cocaine, or is it the drug itself.
Sorry if I'm a bit uninformed, but it's been many years since my hippy days.

something_of_the_night

Has left the building...
Feb 7, 2006
I am no expert on the matter, but I believe that you are mistaken.
I think they do extradite their own citizens in certain cases.

Extradition, like the birth canal of biblical times, is a one-way street: from third-world and developing countries to rich countries.

Let the anecdotage begin!