Dominican Foundations?

delapaz

Feb 23, 2006
I'd like to learn more about the Dominican Foundations/Non-Profits that are currently in existense. Generally I'd like to learn about what they're "really" up to and which ones are worth working with (or not). I'll sound off the ones I've heard of, and to the extent anyone on this board knows of them, their work, or their people, I'd really appreciate your thoughts:

Foundations
1. Dominican Dream (...dot org. Julia Alvarez's brainchild)
2. Dominican Foundation (...dot com. Lots of "programs")
3. Quisqueya Foundation (...dot org. Appears academic...Spanish only?)
4. Beyond the Beach (...dot org. Canadians helping Dominicans...sounds cool)

...and any others that people know of...

Peace.

hifiman

Jul 13, 2005
Hi delapaz

Thanks for your interest in helping out the people of the Dominican Republic.

I am one of the directors for The Beyond The Beach Childrens Foundation.If you go to our website www.beyondthebeach.ca,you will be able to see the charities we support and the people behind the foundation.
My reasons for supporting this cause is because of the children.Couple that with the fact that we are based in Canada, I felt I can do more to help this charity more than others.

Which ever charity you chose to support does not matter the only thing that matters is your support.
Thanks
Roger
hifiman

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
Agree w/HiFi

these are also good ones to check out:
Mustard Seed, Infantil Juventud, Sosua Kids.

canbon

Apr 28, 2006
Elliott Foundation

When I was in Puerto Plata this past July I had the opportunity of meeting up with Derek Elliott who is part of Sun Village Resort and Spa. I am now doing some volunteer work for them from here in Canada. They support many different organizations and I am really excited about the opportunity to lend my services to them.

delapaz

Feb 23, 2006
Thanks! Is there any collaboration...

between these foundations? I count about 7 foundations thus far, and I'm sure there are probably 3 times that number. The island is not that big, after all. Just curious about your decision to either start a new one or work with one versus another.

bellissima_81

Apr 19, 2006
ill be working with a school in cabarete whos attached to dominican dream project! I went about it thanks to a member on this board who contacted the principal to let her know i was willing to give 3-4 hours of my time a day to help out during my 4 month stay in sosua!

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
Do It

IM me for more info on Dream Project and info.
Am Advisory Board member....wife volunteers.
u'll likely be at the house tommrrow. verdad?
15:30?
if not, contact Jon Wunderlich @ DominicanDream.org
and state your interest.