Dominican Immigration has extended the stay for tourist

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
You will not say what they told you, but you will continue to make your OWN personal assertions. Seriously, this is beyond ridiculous.

What personal assertion did I make? That some people would not believe it if I said what I learned? That we are just on the same merry go round again as in post #719? At this point, if you want to know, please got to Migracion and ask or give them a call. As I mentioned, I did not have time to get every question I had about tourist cards answered. The answers I did get are consistent with what some are calling "the merry go round".

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
Pulling teeth is a far more uncomplicated exercise than having some adults admit that they are incorrect.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
in my opinion....

many here chastise some for being 'Spook the Cat'...

but in reality
too many people read too much into what is said here

true answer is -- Nobody really knows what is or will happen....
All speculation

A concrete answer ???
no such thing
back to my 'nebulous' comment

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
This was posted today, I don't have the original source yet:

This is the latest from the Dominican Republic immigration department

UPDATE ON DOMINICAN IMMIGRATION
Content of circular DSAC / DAM 019020 of the Vice Ministry of Consular and Migratory Affairs, Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Dominican Republic, is reported, reporting migratory categories, permanence, procedures, requirements and sanctions applicable to foreign citizens in the Dominican Republic:

- The migratory categories contemplated by the Migration Law No. 285-04 are Resident and Non-Resident. The tourist is Non-resident and is allowed to remain in the territory of R.D. for a period of up to 60 days renewable for another 60. 120 days in total.

- To apply for the extension, those who enter with a tourism card have 30 consecutive days in Dominican territory, who enter with a visa have 60 days, in accordance with Application Regulation No. 631-11 of Law No. 285-04.

- Foreigners who wish to reside in the Dominican Republic, staying in Dominican territory beyond the period allowed for Non-Residents, must be provided with a visa for residency purposes in the corresponding Dominican consular representation.

- Temporary residences, defined by art. 48 of Regulation No. 631-11 are for one year, renewable annually. In cases of family reunification, rentier and retired or pensioned (Article 50 of the same regulation) are renewed after one year after the issuance and every two years after the first renewal.

- Law 285-04 empowers the DGM (Directorate General of Migration) to declare illegal entry or stay of foreigners in Dominican territory, when they can not prove their situation in the country. Similarly, it allows you to apply for non-admission when they extend their tourist stay beyond the authorized extension to 120 days.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
This was posted today, I don't have the original source yet:

This is the latest from the Dominican Republic immigration department

UPDATE ON DOMINICAN IMMIGRATION
Content of circular DSAC / DAM 019020 of the Vice Ministry of Consular and Migratory Affairs, Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Dominican Republic, is reported, reporting migratory categories, permanence, procedures, requirements and sanctions applicable to foreign citizens in the Dominican Republic:

- The migratory categories contemplated by the Migration Law No. 285-04 are Resident and Non-Resident. The tourist is Non-resident and is allowed to remain in the territory of R.D. for a period of up to 60 days renewable for another 60. 120 days in total.

- To apply for the extension, those who enter with a tourism card have 30 consecutive days in Dominican territory, who enter with a visa have 60 days, in accordance with Application Regulation No. 631-11 of Law No. 285-04.

- Foreigners who wish to reside in the Dominican Republic, staying in Dominican territory beyond the period allowed for Non-Residents, must be provided with a visa for residency purposes in the corresponding Dominican consular representation.

- Temporary residences, defined by art. 48 of Regulation No. 631-11 are for one year, renewable annually. In cases of family reunification, rentier and retired or pensioned (Article 50 of the same regulation) are renewed after one year after the issuance and every two years after the first renewal.

- Law 285-04 empowers the DGM (Directorate General of Migration) to declare illegal entry or stay of foreigners in Dominican territory, when they can not prove their situation in the country. Similarly, it allows you to apply for non-admission when they extend their tourist stay beyond the authorized extension to 120 days.

Yawn...

todoloco

Jul 25, 2018
Estancia permitida legalmente con tarjeta de turista

Yes, I know all discussions (there can be problems if you leave after 90 or 120 days), but here the oficial internet sources as of today, 25th of July 2018 from three different dominican ministries.

In my opinion, general understanding for any reader still is, that with the tourist card you can stay as long as you want, just pay the fee when you leave.

So, maybe in any other country in the world - except here, in banana republic, this would be very clear.

But see yourself (sorry, spanish only):

A) Dirección General de Impuestos Internos

www. dgii.gov.do/tarjetaTuristica/asistencia/Paginas/PreguntasFrecuentes.aspx
Dirección General de Impuestos Internos / Tarjeta de Turista / Asistencia / Preguntas Frecuentes

6. ¿Qué personas son consideradas turistas?
Turista es toda persona que ingresa a un país por tiempo limitado, con fines recreativos, de descanso, salud, religiosos, educativos, periodísticos, para dictar u oír conferencias y otros objetivos similares, pero nunca con interés de lucro.

3. ¿Cuál es el tiempo máximo que un turista puede permanecer en el país con la Tarjeta de Turista?
La Tarjeta de Turista le permite permanecer en el país por un período de 30 días. A partir de este tiempo, el turista puede extender su estadía pagando una tarifa a la Dirección General de Migración, que está sujeta a la cantidad de tiempo adicional que decida permanecer en el país.
Vea aquí los "Requisitos para estadía o prorroga de permanencia"
www. dgii.gov.do/tarjetaTuristica/asistencia/Documents/Requisitos-para-estadia-o-prorroga-de-permanencia.pdf
TASA POR EXCESO DE ESTADÍA O PERMANENCIA
Artículo 40 de la ley 285-04 sobre migración y el artículo 81 del Reglamento 63111 de aplicación de la ley. a) Formulario debidamente llenado y firmado b) Copia del Boleto Aéreo o Ticket de Embarque. c) Presentar Pasaporte original d) 2 Copia de la carita del pasaporte donde están los datos personales. e) 2 Copia de la última entrada al país.
COSTOS DEL SERVICIO
ESTADIA TIEMPO TARIFA VIGENTE
30 Días A 90 Días RD$ 2,500.00
3 A 9 Meses RD$ 4,000.00
9 A 12 Meses RD$ 5,000.00

13. ¿Qué procedimiento debe seguir una persona para extender su visita en la República Dominicana?
En caso de que una persona quiera extender su visita mientras está en la República Dominicana, deberá pasar por las Oficinas de la Dirección General de Migración y solicitar prórroga o también puede abonar las tasas por prórroga de estadía al momento de su salida, en el aeropuerto, puerto marítimo o paso fronterizo utilizado para dichos

B) DIRECCION GENERAL DE MIGRACIÓN

https://www. migracion.gob.do/Preguntas
¿Cuál es el momento en el que se paga estadía?
La pago de estadía deberá ser pagado al momento del extranjero salga de la República Dominicana. De ser pagado con anterioridad en la Dirección General de Migración la persona tendrá un plazo de treinta (30) días para salir del país.

C) Ministerio de Turismo

www. godominicanrepublic.com/es/travel-to-dr/requisitos-de-entrada/
TARJETA DE TURISTA
Los turistas que se queden más allá del período de 30 días deben pagar una tarifa dependiendo de la extensión, lo que puede hacerse en la Dirección General de Migración o en el puesto de migración a la salida del país.

www. godominicanrepublic.com/es/travel-to-dr/preguntas-frecuentes/
¿QUÉ SUCEDE SI DECIDO PERMANECER EN EL PAÍS POR MÁS DE 30 DÍAS?
Usted necesita pagar en el aeropuerto un cargo proporcional al tiempo que se piensa quedar. Para las tarifas, consulte www.migracion.gob.do/web/tarifas.php

todoloco

Jul 25, 2018
And now, I would like to share my personal experience (all conversations were made in fluent spanish):
As you read the "interviews" you may are thinking "this makes no sense"
- And you`re right, but it's not as of any bad translation or omitting something, I promise you!

Mid of this June I called DGM in Santo Domingo and asked if prolongation of tourist card is posible in DGM Santiago office.
I was told "yes". I would only have to bring a letter to the director of DGM, thats all. 90 days total stay. No cost.
Next day I went to DGM Santiago office with my lovely letter... And?: "We don`t do that here. Only in Santo Domingo. And only 60 days, not 90."

As I hate the capital and even more the DGM office there, I didn`t to anything futher.

Today I called DGM in Puerto Plata, just out of curiosity. This is what happened:

Me: What do I have to do as a tourist if I want to stay more than 30 days
Woman 1: You only have to pay a tax ("impuesto") as you leave the country

Me: What would be the maximum stay?
Woman 1: No, you just pay the fee ("tarifa"), e.g. for 31 days up to 3 months 2,500 DOP (actually we charge after 29 days); then 4,000 and so on, it goes up.

Me: But I heard there had been law changes, that there can be problems with a re-entry later on
Woman 1: Which nacionality you are?

Me: German
Woman 1: No, there are no law changes

Me: So, if I would like to stay 10 months there would be no problem?
Woman 1: No, no problem

Me: How much would cost a 10 months stay
Woman 1: Please wait, I will check
<waiting, then repeating the question to a colleague>
Man 1: 5,000 DOP

Me: And no proplems with a future re-entry?
Man 1: No

Me: But I read a recent letter ("Nota Diplomática DSAC/DAM 019020") from the Ministerio de Relaciones Exteriores which states that for stays more than 4 months there could be problems with a future re-entry?
Man 1: Please wait, I will ask somebody superior ("alguien superior")
<waiting, then repeating the question to a colleague>
Woman 2: Yes that can be, because as a tourist you are only permitted 1 month. After that you pay the extension fee ("tarifa de extensión")

Me: But how many months is ok?
Woman 2: 4 months without any problems.

Me: But what happens if I would stay 10 months?
Woman 2: In that case I would recommend you to take a lawyer who helps you to get a permission for 10 months

Me: And if I leave the country befor 4 months and then re-enter
Woman 2: Yes, no problem, then the process starts again

Me: So, if I would leave for instance to Haiti and after 1 hour come back?
Woman 2: Bueno... could be that the would investigate you, if you are really a tourist.

Me: But for my case, I am really a tourist, I am not working or anything. German government is paying for time off from work.
Woman 2: Well, after one month they could even deport you back to your country, so thats why it`s better to be legally in the country. So better take a lawyer.

So, this little experience shows all of the misery here.
Nobody knows anything for sure.

Sure for me are just two things:
1. I am refusing to visit DGM in Santo Domingo
2. I am refusing to pay any lawyer for something like this

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
todoloco. Been there, done that, and gotten virtually the same responses at POP Migracion to my questions to the tourist card questions while I was working on an issue with my residency from back in 2002/2003 that popped up over the past several weeks. . One difference was that they told me you could extend the tourist time at the POP office. But it is a different day so the story is different. You can't make this stuff up.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
this is exactly what & why we have been saying this

My take from this is 'Beware'.... any outcome is possible
More questions asked, less definitive are the answers....

as with many countries, the final (and only) word comes from the agent inspecting your passport/entry stamp.

USA in particular.... the process to argue with the agent on duty is to go to Federal Court
He has no superior other than the court

That -- from my US immigration lawyer

todoloco

Jul 25, 2018
One thing more: Those writing about "fines" you have to pay leaving the country:
Where do you have got this from?
Can you please show me one "official" spanish sentence please where they use a "bad" word like this?

I only read words like "tarifa", "pago", "tasa", "cargo"...

I think this tells something, doesn`t it?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Nice to have you enter the fray, todo

the nomenclature has been well discussed here... and has proponents from all sides.

Technically not a fine - a penalty....
are fines penalties - and vice versa?

Fee?
keep going....

one thing agreed on and defined by the DR1 lawyer is this -

once the legal time limit is over
you are illegal

any way you cut it....
A fee, a Fine, a Penalty...
it's a payment for not adhering to the Tourist Card rule

Don't even get started if it's a 'Card' or 'Visa".
another lengthy topic...

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
One thing more: Those writing about "fines" you have to pay leaving the country:
Where do you have got this from?
Can you please show me one "official" spanish sentence please where they use a "bad" word like this?

I only read words like "tarifa", "pago", "tasa", "cargo"...

I think this tells something, doesn`t it?

I am sorry for you to come across this thread and get confused by some fake news and dodgy posts. As your Spanish is pretty good from what you say and you have heard the words from the horse's mouth so to speak, don't pay any attention to the noise surrounding this issue. To be honest you confused the people at the other end of the phone by implying you know something they don't - Dominicans change tact to save face, didn't mean they know something else and didn't tell you. You insisted and they found a way out by saying "get a lawyer". Think about it, why do you get a lawyer, to do what... !? Why not tell you the solution or any prohibition etc... ! I bet if you insisted a bit more they would introduce you to their friend lawyer to start residency for you with some kickbacks and commissions... lol

Carry on as usual and as recommended, until if and when the DR gov changes their laws for German visitors - note the agent asked you where you come from, important (so far they have not changed any laws for Germans), then they will let us know properly with plenty of time to adjust and adopt, and we will all comply with their new laws.

jahjahwarrior

Mar 14, 2017
Big change today in Santiago immigration!

Now instead of all fingers they just took thumbprints.

Or maybe the number of fingers is correlated to number of overstays and you are only allowed 10 overstays???

Quien sabe? Ahora me voy a tomar un presidente, tan frío, y disfrutar la noche!

Chewy Frog

Aug 26, 2018
Why anyone is still insisting on wanting to live or spend their winters in this backwards, confusing, crooked, filthy, dangerous banana republic, filled with thieves, liars and garbage is beyond comprehension.

Laws are ever changing and nothing is ever clear and concise. Ask an important question to three different government employees and you will get three different versions. Get to the end of a long process and you will be told that the rules have changed. Wait in line for 4 hours and than get into another line for another 4 hours just to get one document. All the while seeing employees chatting among themselves instead of serving the poor people that have been waiting in line for an eternity.

Why? For the sun? Not worth it. There are better, cleaner, safer and more civilized countries to spend the winters and where the odds of not being seriously injured on a simple car ride to the grocery store are excellent.

Spent a total of 8 winters in Punta Cana since 2008 and it was better before 2015. I was lucky to sell my property so that I don't ever have to step foot in that polluted Dominican soil again. My mental and physical well-being is more important than money.

I mean really... Dominicans want to get the hell out of that third-world country and we want to go live there. Total nonsense.
If you persist on spending time there, accept the bull**** and don't be surprised about not understanding what is really going on.