Dominican journalism

mobrouser

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Profitability of print versions of newspapers has declined significantly over the past 10 years. The resulting budget cuts mean no proofreaders and editors working to ever tighter deadlines. I could give some horrific examples from my paper but that would not be DR related.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
A friend of mine from Chicago is begging for print copies, she's sure they'll be worth money. :)

I told her they don't even sell newspapers where I live 

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Profitability of print versions of newspapers has declined significantly over the past 10 years. The resulting budget cuts mean no proofreaders and editors working to ever tighter deadlines. I could give some horrific examples from my paper but that would not be DR related.

Not true for DR. Moguls like corripio by the way are not in the newspaper business to make money (with the newspaper) but to create a vehicle for promoting everything they sell plus certain influence. However , were most newspapers in the past not profitable, currently most newspaper in DR are. 

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
that is actually a very valid question. we are not in a position to know the extent of broadcasting of this faux pas in the US, but if it is misconstrued to be a political statement, it might eventuate negative repercussions.

Some of us are in a position to know the extent of this faux pas in the US, and it is not being taken any more seriously than but for a few laughs.

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
I wanted to dislike your post because as a reader I know the damage that has been done. It bothers me tremendously. Even though I dislike the statement, it is the truth, so that is why I liked it. Very sad situation regarding newspapers. Maybe bring it up, and discuss it OT?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Not true for DR. Moguls like corripio by the way are not in the newspaper business to make money (with the newspaper) but to create a vehicle for promoting everything they sell plus certain influence. However , were most newspapers in the past not profitable, currently most newspaper in DR are. 

media is a force and in DR it is well greased wheel of indoctrination. while newspapers themselves may not be profitable as such they carry lots of potential for shaping public opinion and thus are of value.
the quality of writing is rather poor, tho. not to mention research skills of the "writers". if a foreigner with average spanish, such as myself, can see a bunch of mistakes on daily basis, how many errors are there?

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
media is a force and in DR it is well greased wheel of indoctrination. while newspapers themselves may not be profitable as such they carry lots of potential for shaping public opinion and thus are of value.
the quality of writing is rather poor, tho. not to mention research skills of the "writers". if a foreigner with average spanish, such as myself, can see a bunch of mistakes on daily basis, how many errors are there?

Yes, all true, but the main purpose is to have a vehicle to promote your products. Corripio has so many companies and so many products to sell, he has a huge advantage to also own most of the newspapers plus the logistical system to distribute them (including inserts).

There might be examples of where the power to influence public opinion was used to get something done or force the governments hand but those reading newspapers in DR are from the educated part of the population, you can't feed them everything you like.

A few years back they had all older inefficient presses , now the most important newspapers have newer efficient presses, buy paper in combination to get better prices, in short have a much more efficient operation. Contrary to the movement in Europe and the US, where newsprint consumption drops almost 10% per year, in DR it has been stable for years.

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
That is not true. El Nacional did not blame AP. They mentioned AP as the source of the photo and plainly stated that the photo came to them labeled for what it is, the actor Alec Baldwin imitating Donald Trump. There was a bit of "no fui yo" in the Nacional apology. The apology stated that the person or people who "edit page 16 did not notice the error." That did not surpris me but it left me very disappointed that the editors would not take responsibility for what is clearly their responsibility.
"El Nacional" is covering its tracks REAL fast and blaming AP. All I know is this: it made my day.

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
Actually, long before the Internet began to erode the revenue of newspaper publishing, El Nacional and other Dominican newspapers were - and still are - full of egregious spelling and grammatical errors that are noticeable to even school age foreigners with basic knowledge of romance languages. This more glaring example is only more of the same. It casts shame on the country.
I wanted to dislike your post because as a reader I know the damage that has been done. It bothers me tremendously. Even though I dislike the statement, it is the truth, so that is why I liked it. Very sad situation regarding newspapers. Maybe bring it up, and discuss it OT?