Dominican obtaining work visa for Canada?

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
This process has been completely exhausting.

This morning, I sent another e-mail to the Manager of Immigration in Haiti, the Minister of Immigration in Canada, my MP, my contact in SD, and the PM's office, stating that Betania still hadn't received notification of an interview. It must've sparked another flurry of activity in the office in Haiti, because I received a call from a woman in Haiti that only spoke a few words of English. She told me that Betania will have an interview on September 18, and at what time she should be there.

She tried telling me what Betania should bring, but due to poor communication skills in English and my rudimentary French, we were both lost and frustrated. I asked her to fax me a list, she said that their fax doesn't work well (!?). I asked her if she could e-mail it to me, but with her limited English, she couldn't grasp my e-mail address. She spelled hers out to me, several times, and agreed I'd copied it right from my saying it back to her. I didn't want to let her hang up on me, because I was scared I'd never find out what Betania needs for the interview - but she was anxious to end the frustrating call. E-mail address doesn't work. Sigh. I sent another e-mail to the Manager in Haiti, asking her to pass the e-mail along to the woman who called me (at least I think I caught her name). I haven't heard a response.

Things just can't be easy, can they?

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
Well, shockingly, Immigration leaves me scratching my head once again. Is this a test to my sense of humour, I often wonder? A cruel joke, perhaps? This is the latest e-mail I received, from the lady in Haiti that called me the other day:

Good morning Mrs Burgos,
Following our phone conversation, here is a list of documents she should bring to her interview, on September 18th, 2006 at 9:00 am.
Passport updated
Job offer,
Certificate of English course or test
Proof of immigration status of sister
Original of past and current employment ref. letters.

Okay. What sister????? She doesn't have a sister who is Immigrating! WTF??? This is one curve that I wasn't expecting, although I should've learned by now to expect the unexpected. I have no answer what-so-ever for this e-mail, but have written [another] carefully-worded e-mail back to her, trying to ask her WTF she is talking about without trying to imply that she's crazy. Believe me, it took all the willpower and restraint that I possess.

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
Well, at least she's being given another chance... best of luck anyway!

You're right, and for that, I should be happy. I'm not holding my breath that an interview will do any good, but I will feel like I've done everything I possibly can to help her. I've heard of many people that have had scheduled interviews in SD, and they wait all day and the Interviewer does not show. I just cannot believe that this is the level of competance of our government!

I really hope she gets the visa, but I must say, I am much less optimistic than I was in the beginning. Thanks for the good wishes! It's nice to have you in our corner!

nikke

Sep 19, 2005
Stay positive

Good luck Trina,

You are so fortunate to have an e-mail address and a RESPONSE to your requests. I spent tons of money calling Haiti when my cousin filed his first (lost) application. Please keep us posted...there is light at the end of this tunnel, I can feel it!!! :D :D :D

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
Good luck Trina,

You are so fortunate to have an e-mail address and a RESPONSE to your requests. I spent tons of money calling Haiti when my cousin filed his first (lost) application. Please keep us posted...there is light at the end of this tunnel, I can feel it!!! :D :D :D

Nikke, I don't think I would've gotten this far if I hadn't involved my MP. That is what your MP is for, make them earn their $$$. For all the hard work my MP's Assistant put into this, I sent her a bouquet of flowers, a gift cerificate, and a Thank You card. Once I had word from Santo Domingo that Betania's visa had been declined, I wrote a letter, and sent it to a lady in Santo Domingo that I had been talking to on the phone. I'd had her e-mail address, and she and I have been communicating on a friendly level regularly. She gave me the e-mail address of the Manager in Haiti (check your PM), and when I e-mailed the Manager in Haiti, I cc'd my MP, the Minister of Immigration, and the PM's office. Seeing the level of people that I was sending the e-mail to probably helped spur some action - I just hope that by doing so, it didn't somehow spur animosity towards Betania and be a detriment to her obtaining the visa.

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
Well, shockingly, Immigration leaves me scratching my head once again. Is this a test to my sense of humour, I often wonder? A cruel joke, perhaps? This is the latest e-mail I received, from the lady in Haiti that called me the other day:

Good morning Mrs Burgos,
Following our phone conversation, here is a list of documents she should bring to her interview, on September 18th, 2006 at 9:00 am.
Passport updated
Job offer,
Certificate of English course or test
Proof of immigration status of sister
Original of past and current employment ref. letters.

So, judging by the response to my e-mail to her, they think I'm Betania's sister! This is what I received back:

Are-you a member of her family? (Your are Trina Burgos)
Proof of immigration means (Citz or Permanent Resident in Canada)

I explained that I am only her cousin, I am not sponsoring her or employing her, and will be living about 3 days drive from where she will potentially be working. Hopefully, this will suffice.

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
Reply to my question about MY Citizenship:

Good Morning Trina,

Yes, it will be better to send a copy of yr status to her, in order to clarify this question.

Do not worry about , have a nice day,

Huguette

I really just cannot believe this...I feel as though I am walking into a trap. Once this is all over, I am going to need a couple of stiff drinks.

I guess I will have to send proof of MY Citizenship with Betania for the Embassy, even though I am not sponsoring Betania, I am not hiring Betania, I am not related (I am a cousin through marriage) to Betania, and I am going to be living 3 days away (driving distance) from where she is working...

nikke

Sep 19, 2005
Ok Trina, take a deep breath here and exhale! How frustrating it must be to deal with the confusion! You are doing well.

I think the simple fact that you are corresponding with someone is a positive sign. I'm assuming the confusion is due to the staff's poor English skills. I think once they are clear, you will succeed!

G

gary short

Trina why don't you involve your local MLA in the process. Who knows they may get off their lazy sorry ass and do something for Joe Citizien.

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
Trina why don't you involve your local MLA in the process. Who knows they may get off their lazy sorry ass and do something for Joe Citizien.

Thanks Gary. I have already done so - that is how Betania was granted an interview, which will finally happen tomorrow.

Thanks for the vote of confidence, Nikke! She will have the interview Monday, and I will post the results then - as you know, it's not over until the visa is in her hands.

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
I'm going nuts here...

September 18 Update

It's been nearly three hours, and Betania hasn't emerged from the Embassy yet. I've talked to her brother-in-law three times this morning already, he's waiting outside for her...I will post as soon as I have some news.

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
I've known the answer for about half an hour, but I had to calm myself down before writing something I may later regret.

Obviously, Vetania has again been denied the visa. The reason this time? The Embassy looked at the original contract and saw that it was signed on April 26, 2006, and that the contract was for the duration of 6 months. Get this - they asked for an updated job offer letter, and it was provided to them. This is a copy of the letter she gave them this morning:

September 8, 2006

To Whom It May Concern:

RE: VETANIA xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, IMMIGRATION FILE# xxxxxxxxxxx

The purpose of this letter is to confirm my offer of employment to Vetania xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx. This offer will remain good and in effect until late fall, approximately October 1, 2007, when I am told that Vetania will be returning to the Dominican Republic to continue University studies. This contract has been approved by the HRSDC, confirmation# xxxxxxxx. The job contract I have offered Vetania is through my business, xxxxxxxx. Our address is xxxxx. I can be contacted at (xxx) xxx-xxxx should you have further questions or concerns.

Cordially,

xxxxxxxxx

Can you believe it??? I could spit nails right now...
Vetania was told in her interview that her English is perfect, and that she should apply again in the spring, that she will most surely be granted a visa!!!!! Yes, like a citizen of a 3rd-World country has nothing better to spend $650 on, only to be declined once again. I could just cry...:(

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
unfricken believable is all I can say.

So if they can grant one for spring why don't they just give her one now dated to travel in spring of 2007 instead of going through this whole thing again! Oh right that would make way too much sense. :rolleyes:

Sorry Trina

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
unfricken believable is all I can say.

So if they can grant one for spring why don't they just give her one now dated to travel in spring of 2007 instead of going through this whole thing again! Oh right that would make way too much sense. :rolleyes:

Sorry Trina

How would they make their money then?

Thanks, Anna...

la_barbie

Bronze
May 6, 2004
I've been following this thread..... I can't believe the kind of sh!t they use for excuses..... if she were paki or indian or chinesse she'd be here in a heartbeat ...

Stupid Canadian Immmigration ... I feel for you trina... for those who know me personally know that I'd be the first one bitching on the phone until something was done....

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
I've been following this thread..... I can't believe the kind of sh!t they use for excuses..... if she were paki or indian or chinesse she'd be here in a heartbeat ...

Stupid Canadian Immmigration ... I feel for you trina... for those who know me personally know that I'd be the first one bitching on the phone until something was done....

Thanks la_barbie...I really can't believe it myself. I have been actively lobbying our MP's and representatives at the Embassy, Consulate, and Immigration Canada. However, it's a double-edged sword. I don't want to ruin Vetania's chances of ever obtaining a visa by shooting off my [big] mouth. On the other hand, I have half a mind to take this to the press. I can imagine the papers in Calgary - where the labour shortage is in the forefront - would eat this story right up. sigh...what does one do? If I push it too far, I'm afraid she will be blacklisted. If I don't do anything, nothing more will happen...