Dominican Rat race - Chopos Fighting for Food

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
Bachata you know better than that being Dominican and all, you know those guys were getting everything they can not because they were hungry, they maybe had Platano con Salami before going there. It was lack of education and manners and the me first mentality that trigger that show digno de Ripley's believe it or not.

They even are staff of a resort, they can eat everything they want out of the buffet leftovers. Those folks can win the lottery the next morning and a year later will behave the same exact way if given the opportunity....

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
For the tenth time 'Lack of education' Not 'chopo'.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
completely wrong Bachata,
it has nothing to do with lack of education.
shown in the video are chopos, not worth other words to be called.
no hungry people from the street,
just workers and their "invited friends" for a x-mas party,
they may not have some univercity degrees but they sure been 'educated' enough to act like people and not like some pigs.
that behavior is not that rare here,
i saw it more than once over the years,
and there has always been one thing the same:
the chopos/pigs doing the mess in the front line been always not the 'poorest/less educated' ones of the overall visitor crowd, it is always the ones who 'think' they are the 'better/more educated', the ones who think they are above the real poor people.
the ones considered 'hungry' been always the ones waiting in line respectfully and very well educated, much more than the ones who may be named 'educated'.
Mike

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
I don't like that word "Chopos" as Dominican as I am, I know very well what it means......
This word is frequently used in the DR by some upper class people to address the lower class. For me that is discrimination.

JJ.

Bellamona

Sep 18, 2007
I used to volunteer for a program in Los Angeles wherein lots of food was donated by local stores for each event. Although I never saw a mad rush of people as in the video, many of the mothers took huge helpings of food and drink and stashed away tons of available free stuff to take home. Was it right? No. Did they know better and just not care? Who knows. But at the end of the day these were very poor people who struggled daily to pay bills and feed their kids - hard to begrudge them that. We did our best to put some order in place and explain that, after everyone there was served, we would divide the remaining food for take-home - sometimes the message took. Ironically some of the events were to teach basic skills and courtesies.

Stodgord

Bronze
Nov 19, 2004
Well,

On one of my Med tours in Cannes, France we were invited to a Battille celebration and there were finger food and champagne. Oh my god, I almost had to take cover. The senior citizens there almost stampeded us. And yes they were using their fingers and throwing as much food in their mouth as they could. That was one of my best memory of France.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Well,

On one of my Med tours in Cannes, France we were invited to a Battille celebration and there were finger food and champagne. Oh my god, I almost had to take cover. The senior citizens there almost stampeded us. And yes they were using their fingers and throwing as much food in their mouth as they could. That was one of my best memory of France.
The trip to France was that boring? Such a beautiful country. :cheeky:

What I find funny is the way some Czechs in Europe enter restaurants with buffets. They got specifically to steal absolutely everything that is edible from the buffet and when I say everything, I mean everything with no shame. They go in, fill their plates, put the bread in their pockets, and then they leave the place. Much more civilized than the stampede from the video, but still amazing to witness. There's even a restaurant in Positano, Italy that on every table they have signs in Czech saying "don't steal the food".

You'd think they were starving.

-NALs

Feb 7, 2007
SOME Czechs are known for taking things not belonging to them from hotels, restaurants, and taking food... but again, people from other countries do that as well. But statistically and by observation of various signs, your comment is accurate, NALs.