Dominican Republic could disappear in 50 years

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Mr_DR said:
...Dominicans immediately merry (sic) a citizen even if they have to shell out $5000 to $10,000 only because they would die if they spend to long without going back to DR.
That doesn't work anymore. If you are here illegally and marry an American citizen, the INS usually requires you to go back to the DR before processing the papers. Most people don't trust the INS so they don't go back.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Mr_DR said:
You must not know about the very lucrative fake documents business that goes on in a day to day basis.
You can buy the whole package there which consist of a fake Green Card, a Social Security Card and even a driver license for $2500 to $3500
and i know these because I used to fill the taxes for many illegal Salvadorans and Mexicans in the Northen VA area and believe it or not I always made sure they get their refund back using a special social security code number that my Puerto Rican "tax master" expert taugh me.
I didn't realize that it still goes on in the post 9/11 world. I know many states have changes their drivers' license to make them harder to forge and harder to obtain with false IDs. I know someone who had a license that was obtained with someone another person's social security number and when he went to renew it, they arrested him.

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
Here is one more article on this subject

"EEUU quiere ayudar en la frontera con Hait?"

This is an article from HolaHoy.com. A New York City local Latin paper. The Dominican news is usually taken from a Dominican paper. I found it interesting because several parties in the thread mentioned that attention is needed from the US etc. to resolve the illegal immigrant problem. Check out the link.

http://www.holahoy.com/noticias/nac...13,0,3418651.story?coll=hoy-samerica-heds-top

LDG

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
rellosk said:
I didn't realize that it still goes on in the post 9/11 world. I know many states have changes their drivers' license to make them harder to forge and harder to obtain with false IDs. I know someone who had a license that was obtained with someone another person's social security number and when he went to renew it, they arrested him.
The Licenses are usually obtained through DMV insiders who also gets paid, but the fact is that these people go to a job and show these fake documents and all that the business do is make copies and file it without even conducting any proper verification procedures.

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
Lesley D said:
"EEUU quiere ayudar en la frontera con Hait?"

This is an article from HolaHoy.com. A New York City local Latin paper. The Dominican news is usually taken from a Dominican paper. I found it interesting because several parties in the thread mentioned that attention is needed from the US etc. to resolve the illegal immigrant problem. Check out the link.

http://www.holahoy.com/noticias/nac...13,0,3418651.story?coll=hoy-samerica-heds-top

LDG
They should be called "Copycats Hoy".

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
HolaHoy.com

Mr_DR,

I agree. The newspaper only features 3-5 Dominican news stories daily. Same holds true for other Latin American countries in that section. I believe the stories are clips from newspapers of the particular country in question. It is by no means an exhaustive source.

LDG.

Mr_DR said:
They should be called "Copycats Hoy".

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
Mr_DR said:
The Licenses are usually obtained through DMV insiders who also gets paid, but the fact is that these people go to a job and show these fake documents and all that the business do is make copies and file it without even conducting any proper verification procedures.
NY State DMV started to cross reference all SS# to Driver's names and if they don't match, their license would be revoked. The Social have to match the name

Quisqueya

Bronze
Nov 10, 2003
DRsScarface,

You dont have a clue of what your talking about...Yes, there are many dominicans here legally but there is also a large illegal population too. BTW, dominicans with enough resource usually use Puerto Rico as a port to come on the mainshores of USA. Reality, is most get stuck in PR working menial jobs and go about living their lives and use all the public services.

hmmmm wonder why not many mexicans in the U.S. have businesses?)

Why must dominicans always try to put someone down in order to make themselves feel valued.. Where are u getting ur info about mexicans not owning businesses. Mexicans are the largest hispanic group in the US and when the media talks about the Latino community.. Who do think they are referring to ..dominicans or mexicans... C'mon.....how can u compare a bunch of new immigrants like dominicans with mexicans whose been here a long long time..Get real....Next u will tell me that dominicans neighborhoods are suburbs. In my opinion..these 1st generation dominican americans are too busy listening to reggaeton and barely hit the books..Now, the ghettos are filled with ghetto spanish speaking kids mixed with ghetto english blaming the white man for keeping them down...

DRsScarface said:
Quisqueya,

You are wrong, many of the Dominicans in the U.S. are legal. Yolas go to PR not the continental US and most Dominicans that go to PR stay there(that's why PR is full of Dominicans.) When have you seen a yola heading for NY and very few head to Miami. If most Dominicans in the U.S. are illegal how does the yola reach Miami(not a very high chance...it happens but not that often) and much less N.Y.C. and other areas in the northeast where there are considerable populations of Dominicans. And if they are illegal, how can they open up all those salons and bodegas(that's pretty hard to do when you're illegal...hmmmm wonder why not many mexicans in the U.S. have businesses?) Also, a very large portion of Dominicans in NY and the rest of the US already have decades(20+ years) in the U.S. which means that they got their visas decades ago. Dominicans do get visas to the U.S.....it happens all the time eventhough they have to wait years for this to happen (trust me...i've seen it happen.) It could take 5-10 years for a person to be able to come to the U.S.....it depends of the situation.

READ this...
Unlike Puerto Ricans, who have been migrating since the early 1900?s and were United States citizens since 1917, the Dominicans began emigrating from their island in the 1960?s. The push for these early immigrants was political: the island politics were characterized by upheavals: assassinations, coups, and unrest. Let us take a closer look at the different waves of emigration.

The first wave was due to island politics. After Trujillo?s death in 1961, Juan Bosch, the president, took power but lost it again to a military coup in 1963. The United States intervened militarily. During this time of unrest, the group of Dominicans emigrating were middle-class, fleeing Bosch or fleeing the post-Bosch period of political uncertainty. Also, due to the United States intervention, the Dominicans could get visas, especially members of certain political groups. At this time, migration was viewed by United States officials as a political safety valve to mitigate further unrest.

The next wave emigrated after becoming disenchanted with the island government?s promises of economic growth that never fully materialized. Immigration to the United States became a safety valve in much the same way the Puerto Rican government encouraged migration to the United States mainland for those Puerto Ricans disenchanted with the promises of Operation Bootstrap and unable to find employment on the island. President Joaquin Balaguer was elected in 1966 and encouraged immigration as a safety valve and a government assisted plan of economic development. The middle class expanded under his time in power. This middle class faced unemployment and low salaries, and thus emigrated.

The next wave of immigration was in the 1980?s and 1990?s and was due to economic problems in the Dominican Republic: soaring oil prices, a large foreign debt, and a wage freeze for two years. The middle class, that had recently expanded, now shrank. The salaries in the Dominican Republic were low in comparison with those in the United States. As a result of these waves of immigration, the Dominicans constitute a sizable minority community in New York City. In Manhattan?s upper West Side, an area called Washington Heights has been renamed Quisqueya Heights due to the large concentration of Dominicans. Washington Heights has a Dominican flavor in the same way Miami acquired a Cuban flavor and many areas of New York City and Connecticut acquired a Puerto Rican flavor. Washington Heights now boasts a Dominican Day Parade and CUNY has formed a Dominican Studies Center.

http://www.cis.yale.edu/ynhti/curriculum/units/1996/4/96.04.03.x.html

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
Ricardo900 said:
NY State DMV started to cross reference all SS# to Driver's names and if they don't match, their license would be revoked. The Social have to match the name
Ricardo I agree with you that it is becoming much harder for illegal aliens with a fake social sec card to get a DL but not all the businesses would require you to have a DL in order to be hired.

Last edited:

DRsScarface

Feb 26, 2004

Quisqueya,

You are one of those people trying to put people below you. You akways like to put Dominicans below other Latino Groups and others in general but the truth is that for being in the U.S. for a short while compared to Mexicans and the Puerto Ricans, Dominicans are doing alot better as a group than alot of them. Dominicans in N.Y. (bodega/salon owner, gheto or whatever u want to call them) are still better off than most mexicans in general. I've been to NY and I've seen it. If you asked me, I'd rather own a bodega or salon than be selling oranges in the street or picking oranges. And Mexicans are the most mentiones hispanic/latino group because they are the largest in number. About 30 million out of the 35+ million hispanics in the U.S. are mexican and they are the group with the highest number of illegals, which is why the U.S. government is worried about them that any other group. And if you want to talk about ghetto, look around Florida where most of the Hatians are ghetto and more uneducated than most other lation groups (not that there aren't any smart or educated people) but for the most part you cannot compare the Dominican community economically or politically to the Haitian community. It's statistics, to be a relatively new immigrant group we are doing GREAT.