Dominican Republic expects 12 million tourists in 2024; concerns about growing too fast

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
I know one Haitian who speaks 5 languages fluently, or at least he said he does. I have seen him having conversations in 4 languages and holding his own.
He's a Sanky, btw. Very good looking kid.
Speaking a couple of words in a foreign language mainly in your social área (sanky,
giving compliments etc..) is one thing, dominating a langauge is another.
I know few people who speak five languages fluently, and I dare to say they are higher educated than this Haitian hobo.
I speak three fluently, my wife says “but you speak german”, I do not, however I am able to say what I want on vacations in Germany… but with errors.

Reactions: Big

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
The fact remains that not many Dominicans have the necessary language skills to communicate well with tourists in the hospitality business. I think it is mainly due to poor education and also a lack of desire. Perhaps those that come from other countries (such as Haiti) are more motivated to gain language skills in order to progress in tourism and other businesses.

Reactions: NanSanPedro

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Speaking a couple of words in a foreign language mainly in your social área (sanky,
giving compliments etc..) is one thing, dominating a langauge is another.
I know few people who speak five languages fluently, and I dare to say they are higher educated than this Haitian hobo.
I speak three fluently, my wife says “but you speak german”, I do not, however I am able to say what I want on vacations in Germany… but with errors.
Exchanging a few words is not a conversation.

I can't say he dominated all five, but he could carry on an extended conversation in all 5.

His English and Spanish are just as good as mine.

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
Exchanging a few words is not a conversation.

I can't say he dominated all five, but he could carry on an extended conversation in all 5.

His English and Spanish are just as good as mine.
Do you domínate the five languages he was speaking? If not….