Dominican Republic makes the initial payment for the purchase of 10 million vaccines against COVID-19

Status
Not open for further replies.

CDNBear

Banned
Sep 29, 2020
Cabarete
The country will use the 1400 vaccination posts it has for the application of the vaccine when it is available

We have a traditional vaccination scheme in Public Health and it is the same scheme that is going to be used. There are approximately 1,400 vaccination posts that would be the same posts that would be used for the vaccine , said the director of the National Health Insurance (Senasa), Santiago Hazim

Source

CDNBear

Banned
Sep 29, 2020
Cabarete
Great move by the DR government! The odds to get a safe, working vaccine that is practical to distribute is greatest when joining this program.

The World Health Organization yesterday welcomed the inclusion of the Dominican Republic for acess to the list of nine candidate vaccines currently being evaluated against Covid-19.

The agency reported that of the total number of vaccines evaluated, two were manufactured in China, two in the United States, one in Korea, one in the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland and one in a global multi-manufacturing partnership.

They added that two of them are in phase I trials, two are technology transfers, and the rest are in the discovery phase.

In addition, he said that the country will have access to the same definitive vaccine as Andorra, Argentina, Armenia, Botswana, Brazil, Canada, Chile, Colombia, Croatia, Estonia, Finland, Greece, Iceland, Iraq, Ireland, Israel, Japan, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Luxembourg, North Macedonia, Mauritius, Mexico, Monaco, Montenegro, New Zealand, Norway, Palau, Portugal, Qatar, Republic of Korea, San Marino, Saudi Arabia, Seychelles, Singapore, South Africa, Switzerland, United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland and Venezuela.

The massive vaccination program, for whose execution in the Dominican Republic the government has contracted the advice of an international firm, the WHO will lead the event.

Source https://eldia.com.do/oms-acoge-a-rd-en-acceso-vacuna-contra-el-covid-19/

CDNBear

Banned
Sep 29, 2020
Cabarete
The COVAX initiative, part of the World Health Organization’s (WHO) Access to COVID-19 Tools (ACT) Accelerator, is being spearheaded by the Coalition for Epidemic Preparedness Innovations (CEPI); Gavi, the Vaccine Alliance; and WHO. The goal is to work with vaccine manufacturers to offer low-cost COVID-19 vaccines to countries. Currently, CEPI’s candidates from companies Inovio, Moderna, CureVac, Institut Pasteur/Merck/Themis, AstraZeneca/University of Oxford, Novavax, University of Hong Kong, Clover Biopharmaceuticals, and University of Queensland/CSL are part of the COVAX initiative. There are further candidates being evaluated in the COVAX Facility from the United States and internationally.

CDNBear

Banned
Sep 29, 2020
Cabarete
While one or more vaccines are likely to be approved, the world may need multiple vaccines to protect different groups within the population, as well as treatments for those who continue to get sick

Reactions: zoomzx11

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I'm still waiting for the medical community to agree on a standardized treatment for those requiring hospitalization with this virus. Treatment still varies widely depending on where you happen to be. Some more successful than others apparently.

Reactions: zoomzx11

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
I went to a clinic in Cabarete today where people were getting a free influenza jab. When I saw about thirty people crammed into the small room I left, as I considered I was more likely to catch something than be protected from anything. Hopefully they will have better facilities whenever this Civid-19 vaccination becomes available.

• Wow
Reactions: CDNBear

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Great move by the DR government! The odds to get a safe, working vaccine that is practical to distribute is greatest when joining this program.

The World Health Organization yesterday welcomed the inclusion of the Dominican Republic for acess to the list of nine candidate vaccines currently being evaluated against Covid-19.

The agency reported that of the total number of vaccines evaluated, two were manufactured in China, two in the United States, one in Korea, one in the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland and one in a global multi-manufacturing partnership.

They added that two of them are in phase I trials, two are technology transfers, and the rest are in the discovery phase.

In addition, he said that the country will have access to the same definitive vaccine as Andorra, Argentina, Armenia, Botswana, Brazil, Canada, Chile, Colombia, Croatia, Estonia, Finland, Greece, Iceland, Iraq, Ireland, Israel, Japan, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Luxembourg, North Macedonia, Mauritius, Mexico, Monaco, Montenegro, New Zealand, Norway, Palau, Portugal, Qatar, Republic of Korea, San Marino, Saudi Arabia, Seychelles, Singapore, South Africa, Switzerland, United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland and Venezuela.

The massive vaccination program, for whose execution in the Dominican Republic the government has contracted the advice of an international firm, the WHO will lead the event.

Source https://eldia.com.do/oms-acoge-a-rd-en-acceso-vacuna-contra-el-covid-19/
Good news to see the government being proactive.
Hope its free to DR citizens.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
I went to a clinic in Cabarete today where people were getting a free influenza jab. When I saw about thirty people crammed into the small room I left, as I considered I was more likely to catch something than be protected from anything. Hopefully they will have better facilities whenever this Civid-19 vaccination becomes available.

Ouch!
Interesting to see health organizations follow unhealthy practices.
Or could it be a business generating practice?

• Haha
Reactions: Yourmaninvegas

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
From today's Bavaro Digital:

The process for the vaccination plan based on the electoral roll begins next week​

By
Andrea Nava
-
23 January 2021

The Vice President of the Republic, Raquel Peña, announced this Friday that next week they will begin the process of socializing the vaccination plan against the coronavirus.
He indicated that the vaccination plan is based on the electoral roll to organize citizens and that it also includes the integration of voting centers for the vaccination process.
The Dominican government, through various agreements with different pharmaceutical companies, plans to obtain 20 million doses to vaccinate against the coronavirus.
The amounts are divided as follows: 10 million doses with AstraZeneca, 8 million with Pfizer-BioNTech, and 2 million with Covax, the latter a global mechanism of the World Health Organization (WHO) to guarantee worldwide access equitable to vaccinations.
In previous days, the Government of Luis Abinader indicated that the doses will be defined by phases that go from the “characteristics of the prioritized risk groups, the volume, and periodicity of vaccine supply, the positioning and promotion of vaccination in the population, among other important aspects ”.
They also pointed out that by December this year 7,101,043 people between 18 and 80 years old are expected to have received the dose "depending on the supply situations that develop throughout the health emergency."

Reactions: windeguy

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
December? YIkes. That is probably not good in the scheme of things. Oh well, I did say 2021 would be the year of vaccinations.

Status
Not open for further replies.