Dominican republic to pull half-a-million guns

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tarheel

Dec 19, 2005
I don't NEED a penis either, but I have BOTH!
I enjoy playing with the two of them ,sometimes together!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

I was a navy corpsman in Vietnam.
In boot camp I wanted to be a "CB", but they said I was "Too Smart", Sooooooooooooooo I became a corpsman instead, how "SMART" was that????

From what you have told us you certainly need a penis!

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
And Xavier that whole macho thing is for the movies. Marines, Soldiers, Sailors and Airmen are all scared but they do thier job. Its not a macho disease. Its called Duty.
=============================================\
It sure as hell is a macho disease for some. And I did not call it a disease. What I was describing was how a particular phenomena has evolved from tribal societies into the US today.

You can call it Duty if you wish. I imagine that Masai warriors are also scared. Alpha wolves are probably scared as well.

And Xavier that whole macho thing is for the movies. Marines, Soldiers, Sailors and Airmen are all scared but they do thier job. Its not a macho disease. Its called Duty.

I would say that the instinct for survival of the individual as well as that of his tribe (unit, brigade, squad, company) is the main reason for heroics.

Can we regard any members of the German SS as heroes? Surely they performed many a heroic deed at Omaha Beach and Stalingrad, defending their country from invasion and their comrades from annihilation. But I am also sure that a celebratory monument to their bravery would not be accepted, and no one would get an Iron Cross, because the war was lost, and the cause was reviled as unjust. And rightfully so.

Eventually, I imagine that the selection of cupcakes in lieu of a tattoo will be appreciated even more.

I think that this country should try harder to avoid armed conflict. TheSwiss, Swedes and Bhutanese are to be admired.

X-Man you are batting a thousand today. All this back and forth will eventually tie into the "gun control" argument (Mod's I promise) because at the end of the day the biggest factor in the entire guns control debate is perception. Some People are so steeped in their perception of the contributing realities in the debate that they refuse to listen to the logic behind those realities on both sides of the issue.

Heroes, villains...the old African proverb states "Until the Lion tells the tale, the Hunter will always win".

Folks with John Wayne-shoot-em-up fantasies will argue to the death against any kind of gun control while folks who are more likely to have had the efeects of rampant gun violence affect them either directly or indirectly would like to uninvent the firearm altogether. Not unlike in all other issues, neither extreme is a practical solution and we must also recognize the fact that there are different best solutions for different regions and that's why I think it's important that each State maintain the authority to set gun control standards, giving the Counties and Cities authority to make the effect and enforce the laws which are specifically beneficial to the safe and orderly ownership and use of firearms in their jurisdictions. The role of the federal government in this process is to oversee the implementation of these practices to ensure that all Americans are considered in a fair and equitable manner.

Gun control in the D.R. seems much simpler. There are fewer layers of authority. It would seem to me that the best way to eliminate "crine guns" is to establish the rights of law abiding citizens to arm themselves and having accomplished that, go after those who have armed themselves without bothering to obtain proper authorization with harsh sentencing and high penalties.

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
From what you have told us you certainly need a penis!

ROTFLMAO!

6f5b971fa38c5c7abf8a4fe96b5f6aa0.jpg

JohnnyBoy

Bronze
Jun 17, 2012
I don't NEED a penis either, but I have BOTH!
I enjoy playing with the two of them ,sometimes together!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

I was a navy corpsman in Vietnam.
In boot camp I wanted to be a "CB", but they said I was "Too Smart", Sooooooooooooooo I became a corpsman instead, how "SMART" was that????

Thank you again CCCCCCCCCC and you Dread and Tarheel. The US owes our RSVN vets an apology for the way you were treated. You might be some scabby whore chasing degenerates. But you are my Heroes.

Suprisingly enough my cousin is extremely intelligent. He could have went Subs but he likes the booze and the weights. I believe he is going to Dive School when he returns from his current deployment.

As for the SS being heroes..... well the Waffen SS were the soldiers, and they were pros. The concentration camp guards,, sickens me to my stomach. I would face a firing squad before I would rob a non combatant of thier humanity.

Tarheel

Dec 19, 2005
Thank you again CCCCCCCCCC and you Dread and Tarheel. The US owes our RSVN vets an apology for the way you were treated. You might be some scabby whore chasing degenerates. But you are my Heroes.

Suprisingly enough my cousin is extremely intelligent. He could have went Subs but he likes the booze and the weights. I believe he is going to Dive School when he returns from his current deployment.

As for the SS being heroes..... well the Waffen SS were the soldiers, and they were pros. The concentration camp guards,, sickens me to my stomach. I would face a firing squad before I would rob a non combatant of thier humanity.

Thank you...I think?

Aug 6, 2006
This rivalry between the services looks very amusing to the rest of us. In college at NMSU, I met Frank (no resemblance to other Franks, or anything produced by Oscar Meyer) who was the son of an AF General. He was rebelling against parental authority by joining the Marines. He had attended a massive Gung-Ho training mind control class at Quantico, VA prior to coming to Las Cruces, and was noted for doing strange things that he thought of as patriotic, like waking us up at 2:00 AM typing a request for a Landing Party Manual.

One of my roomies was a guy who had been passed over for Captain at White Sands Proving Grounds and had decided to get his MA in Engineering. He had served a couple of tours in the Army and felt that Frank was what later to be called in the movie MASH a "regular Army Clown"(like Hot Lips Hoolihan). He celebrated his observation by making up a short verse about Frank:

Oh, have you seen,
The Boy Marine,
His feet are tender, his horn is green,

There was, at that time and place, in 1963 at Regents Row Dorm, a spectacular creature who inhabited the women's wing of our dorm. She had a trendy beehive hairdo that looked like it had escaped from The Grand Old Opry, she wore shorts with heels and tights and was as well rigged both fore and aft as any White chick I had ever seen, and wore nothing that did not include at least five of the colors of the rainbow, which earned her the name "La Papagaya", or Scarlet Macaw, from my Chicano and Mexican colleagues.

And then it came to pass, that Frank looked in his underwear drawer and saw his tighty whities, and he was not pleased. And so it happened that he went downtown and bought a package of RIT and dyed his skivvies in the dorm laundromat. They came out the proper shade of greenish brown or browish green, the exact color of a common desert toad. And so did the formerly gorgeous apparel of La Papagaya, who used the same machine in a following load. When Frank pulled his unmentionables out of the dryer and the empty box of RIT was discovered, he was billed by the resident assistant for over $150, and yelled at by La Papagaya, whom, it turns out, shared the harsh voice of her namesake fowl along with the coloration.

On another occasion, I took the Boy Marine along on a guitar buying expedition to Juarez. While I was away regateando at the guitar factory, Frank was inhaling gin rickies at La Favorita, a bar featuring dancing girls and recorded music. Frank had been told that gin rickies were the thing that Marines drank when engaging in contests with their natural enemies, the Sailors. When I returned, Frank had vanish and my roommate told me that he had mistaken a Juarez policeman for a Naval officer. The policia in Juarez were chosen from a select list of large giants who were renowned for their abilities to lift Volkswagens and Fiats. Perhaps Frank mistook the chota (cop) for two naval officers, as he must have been seeing double, considering the number of gin rickies he had inhaled. La Favorita never skimped on the cheap Mexican gin.

Alas, the multa (fine) was more that both of us had, and so we had to return to las Cruces to beg enough coin to bail Frank out. Being as it was midnight by the time we located Frank in the local juzgado (hoosegow), or "brig" in Marinish, it was too late to return that evening and so we did not make it back until 11:00 the next day, a Sunday. Frank returned without his wristwatch and several purple bruises and was remarkably quiet for at least three weeks, and never returned to Juarez after that.

Aug 6, 2006
I do not own a gun, and when my sister and I found a six shooter in my Dad's desk, we turned it in the the police, since neither of us wanted it. That was in 1987, and I have not needed it since, luckily.

I do have some experience with firearms, however, since my very first teaching job was in Randle Washington, a tiny hamlet on the White Pass Highway between Yakima and Centralia. There were no unmarried women in town, except a couple divorced members of the Ball family Bobbie, Crystal, and Heather were happily married to local lumberjacks, and Minnie and Corkie were divorced. They were somewhat obese and none too bright. Corkie had a son, named Harold, for example. It was 40 miles down a mountain road to Centralia and farther to Yakima, so there was not much to do on weekends, so Bill the band and music teacher and I spent a lot of time shooting rats at the village dump, always with borrowed pistols, BB guns and rifles. So long as we provided extra ammo, we were sought out by gun owners as reliable people to lend firearms to. We bought ammo at a surplus store for cheap. Some of it was many years old, sold as surplus by the Venezuelan and Colombian armies.

Perhaps we prevented a rural remake of "Willard". I know we shot a helluva lot of rats, and missed many more.

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
When I was a young Lad my Dad bought a place in the Catskills and upon being presented with my 1st rifle I found myself with 145 acres of land that we owned to explore. On that property was a field of 7.5 acres of alfalfa. This field yielded 3 cuts a year and I took great pleasure in keeping it woodchuck free. The funny thing about the ground hog, even when it knows it's being watched it can't help standing up on its hind legs to watch back. It was like whack-a-mole with a rifle, all grounded shots as the field was a part of a 40 acre plot which ended atop a hill.

I wish every Kid could experience that freedom and the responsibility of properly exercising it.

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007

Thanks JB but I'm no hero. You know it's funny how the imedded reporters always asked GI's why they did what they did and they responded "my Guys" and the reporter was lost in the conversation but that was the story in a nutshell. The military is the ultimate team experience. I saw an interview with Kellen Winslow jr. after a loss during his rookie year when he went off on a reporter shouting "we warriors out here!" and two simultaneous thoughts ran through my mind: "No you're not" and "Your Dad was so much a better Man than you, how could the fruit fall that far from the tree?". Talented but stupid.

Which brings me to another point which is what level of psychological screening would be appropriate for weapons qualifications and can we extend that screening process to the DMV, please?

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I get a LOT of "Thank You For Your Service",....NOW!
The American public has learned that it's OK to "Hate the War", but "Love The Warrior"!
Nice of "Obama" to cut the "Warriors" benefits last month!
I guess he didn't get the MEMO!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
The American public has learned that it's OK to "Hate the War", but "Love The Warrior"!

It sucks, but you can't blame it on the President. He is just one Man.

Opinion: Congress lets down military families and vets - CNN.com

That's the problem these days...too much time and energy spent affixing the blame and not enough time and energy spent a-fixing the problems.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Stop "SPINNING" for "Barry"!
He is not just one man,he's the "F*#King President"!!!
He can make "Executive Orders" any time he chooses to circumvent congress and/or the "Constitution",and HAS!!!!
He could, "Make It Known" that he didn't want the "Vets Benefits CUT"!
"Done Deal"!!!!
"Promises Made", should be "Promises KEPT"!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

I do thank you for posting the "CNN" link, and strongly urge everyone to go read it!

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Bob,

The March on Washington, the Million Man March, Brown v. Board of Education, the Civil Rights Act, the Voting Rights Act, the assassinations of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr, Malcolm X and Medgar Evers (and Scwerner, Chaney and Goodman, Emmit Till, etc), the strikes, the riots, the National Guard being federalized to protect elementary school Children from angry mobs of screaming, vitriolic adults........and so much more have happened in my lifetime. I was born and raised in a bigotted america and through America's growth out of bigotry and into inclusion I found myself without peers of my own race throughout much of my career. During that time I have been exposed to all kinds of People from every background imaginable and many of them I found to be good, honorable People of all races who welcomed those who were as well, regardless of where you come from, what you look like or your credit rating so I do have a large control group to compare the bigots against. Not by "stat's" but from personal experience and exposure. You have no idea how idiotic that statement of yours sounds right now.

All irrelevant when you are accusing someone you've never met of being racist , hateful, and bigoted when they have made no statements as such. Just because a person disagrees with your assessment of something or someone ( like your president) doesn't give you the right to call them racist or a bigot. All that does is show your littleness.

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
Stop "SPINNING" for "Barry"!
He is not just one man,he's the "F*#King President"!!!
He can make "Executive Orders" any time he chooses to circumvent congress and/or the "Constitution",and HAS!!!!
He could, "Make It Known" that he didn't want the "Vets Benefits CUT"!
"Done Deal"!!!!
"Promises Made", should be "Promises KEPT"!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

I do thank you for posting the "CNN" link, and strongly urge everyone to go read it!

Absolutely not true. The Legislature has budget approval authority. The Executive sends recommendations to Congress and both houses of Congress send back a budget. What we (The People) end up with is a string of compromises.

"Earned" or not, gub-o-mint chease is gub-o-mint cheese and they (Congress) cut the cheese allocatment for all. The results will not be good for any of the recipients and will be tragic for some but that's just the way the ball bounces sometimes. Folks had better have a "plan B".

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
\

Been biting my tongue for quite some time, but I cannot let this post go unanswered.
" Folks joined the AF to keep out of the Army & Marines where the REAL warriors served."
Hogwash! Joined because in most cases, they were smart enough to realize that had they not done so, they would be first amongst the ranks of "expendables". As to "Warrioring", the 52 fighter wing at Spangdahlem AB, GE was decimated in '90 when the bulk of the fighter squadrons deployed during Desert shield. Along with the "non-warriors" went crew chiefs, logistics personnel, medics, and the like. Myself, being a fixed comm puke, couldn't deploy, but remained behind to establish the first secure fax in theater. One doesn't necessarily need to be a fly jock in order to claim the warrior moniker. May I respectfully suggest sir, that you stick to posts on which you are the SME.

The military machine takes the whole team to operate properly, whether you're talking logistics, comm, air support, medical, intelligence, or ground pounders. My father was an artillery officer, and my brother an electronic spy ( fluent in Russian and Chinese) When I was thinking of joining they both suggested the air-force because they knew how much I liked wrenching and though my big mouth would get me in too much trouble in the army. As my air force career progressed I worked with , for, and had work for me many ex-army types and I learned to respect all aspects of military service, as I respect those that didn't serve for one reason or another. Calling someone yellow because they didn't serve says a lot about the person doing the calling out, and none of it is flattering. CB was just responding to repeated insults from GD. perhaps you should read all the posts before responding to one that was just a response in regards to an attempt to insult CB's character.

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
All irrelevant when you are accusing someone you've never met of being racist , hateful, and bigoted when they have made no statements as such. Just because a person disagrees with your assessment of something or someone ( like your president) doesn't give you the right to call them racist or a bigot. All that does is show your littleness.

Hateful, yes.

When you exhibit hatred which is based upon a person's appearance and presupposition with little or no substance to back it up I call it "Hateful" when you express hatred.

Bigoted, yes.

When you develop a pattern of exhibiting hatred and distrust to a person or groups of people based upon appearance and presupposition with little or no substance to back it up I call it "Bigoted" when you express bigotry.

Racist, no.

A racist works within a system which allows them to operate whether it be under the category of employer, educator or civil servant to pick and choose, based on race who gets what (picking the winners). I have never accused you of being a racist. I would never do so without tangible evidence to support the claim and regardless of how hateful, bigoted and vitriolic a persons words may be it is their actions which separate them as a racist and they can only operate in a system where racism is tolerated, making the entire system "racist". Do you understand how this works?

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
Guns in 64% of the country’s violent deaths merit disarmament

Santo Domingo.- Just one day after Justice minister Radhames Jimenez admitted defeat in the fight against femicides, a prominent political scientist affirms that disarming the population would help sharply reduce the most violent of deaths, where both the victim and perpetrator had weapons .

Daniel Pou called “alarming” the number of people who die from gunshots every day. "We must implement a policy of disarmament ... There’s quite a direct link between the use of weapons and the increase in violence."

He said guns are used in 64% of Dominican Republic’s violent deaths.

In that regard the psychologist Luis Berges said the link between firearms and violence is growing. "When a firearm is present, the person who has it thinks they’re more empowered, which then heightens the perception of dominance and submission over the other person.”

http://www.dominicantoday.com/dr/lo...the-countrys-violent-deaths-merit-disarmament

May 5, 2007

Still can't figure this out; did you take a cut" in anything/ Nothing on my end, yet

And one other thing, it's pet gripe of mine, but when did we stop being soldiers/sailors/airmen and marines and become freaking Roman Gladiators? (Warriors)

I don't know why that term bothers me so much but I equate it with the "Rambo" type, not the quiet 95% who quietly and efficiently do their job and would be far happier if no one even knew they existed

Status
Not open for further replies.